Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SM770

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2018
Brooklyn
Made a bunch of dummy moves. My Ipad has never been backed up.

But the short of it is I had 9.3.5 and jailbroken Ipad 2 using cydia.

Followed instructions on this youtube link, which had me change "ProductBuildVersion," "ProductCopywrite," & "ProductVersion" to ios 6, with the idea that I could then load ios 8.4.1.

That didn't work, and now my ipad says "This version of ios software is current version." And I am stuck in ios 6. Lesson learned, hopefully there is a wizard among you that can show me how get past this road block.

carlvi

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2017
Made a bunch of dummy moves. My Ipad has never been backed up.

But the short of it is I had 9.3.5 and jailbroken Ipad 2 using cydia.

Followed instructions on this youtube link, which had me change "ProductBuildVersion," "ProductCopywrite," & "ProductVersion" to ios 6, with the idea that I could then load ios 8.4.1.

That didn't work, and now my ipad says "This version of ios software is current version." And I am stuck in ios 6. Lesson learned, hopefully there is a wizard among you that can show me how get past this road block.

Not sure if you've sorted this out over the past few days, but I figure I'll post a reply anyway - if anything, it might be of use to someone who encounters the same issue in the future :)

You need to put your iPad into DFU mode and then restore it. Instructions below:
  • Hook up the iPad to your computer with a 30-pin>USB cable and launch iTunes
  • Hold down the Home and Power buttons simultaneously for about 10 secs until the screen goes black
  • Let go of the Power button, but keep holding down the Home button for a while (might take up to 30 secs) until iTunes recognizes that an iOS device in recovery mode is connected
  • Press the Restore button - iTunes will download the 9.3.5 IPSW file and restore your device to stock 9.3.5
Once you have the iPad up and running again, you can jailbreak it with Phoenix and then use OdysseusOTA 2 to properly downgrade it to 8.4.1 (or 6.1.3 if you like). There are loads of tutorials on Youtube. I've done the process myself a few times for fun and it's pretty straightforward.

SM770

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2018
Brooklyn
Hey carlvi,

the iPad uses lightning > USB cable, is that ok?

Thanks for taking the time. I've been searching the internet and it seems I am the only person this has happened to, lol. So hopefully this can be of help to other in the future

carlvi

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2017
Sorry, thought you were on an iPad 2 since the video you posted appeared to feature an iPad 2 (A5 device).
Use whatever cable came with your device. However, if your iPad uses a lightning cable and looks like the one in the video it's probably an iPad 4 which means it's gonna restore to the latest firmware for that device which is 10.3.3. You can jailbreak 10.3.3 with a new jailbreak called h3lix. It's semi-untethered, which means that every time you reboot the device you have to launch an app on your device prior to using Cydia or other jailbreak stuff.
[doublepost=1515684669][/doublepost]I remember messing around with build numbers and stuff back in the day. I somehow managed to, with the help of a 5000 word tutorial, create a crazy custom IPSW file which contained the system files for iOS 3 but identified as iOS 4 and actually managed to flash this firmware onto an old BR iPhone 3GS. It was glitchy as hell and the device went to DFU mode whenever I locked it but it was pretty cool to experience how fast iOS 3 was on the 3gs haha :D

SM770

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2018
Brooklyn
Hi Carlvi, SUCCESS!!! You rock!! :D Thank you for taking the time!!!!!

Question, 8.4.1, is it really better to have my ipad on that ios? As you can imagine, I am a little leery of messing around under the hood now. But I'll get back on the horse if it will make the ipad 2 a better device.

It's a mini, and updated to 9.3.5

P.S. Sheeesh!! 5000 words?!! That's amazing, can you start a "Hey you trying to make your device better? Follow me son!" page/website/fourm or something! Lol

carlvi

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2017
No worries :) Like I said - if your iPad uses a lightning cable it means that you have an iPad 4 (last retina model w/ classic iPad design) which uses the A6X chip and is waaaaaaaaaaaaay faster than the iPad 2 (no retina screen, A5 chip, 30pin connector). I'm not really sure you'll experience that big of a performance boost by going back from 10.3.3 to 8.4.1 - don't have an iPad 4 myself but I reckon since the A6X is still a decent processor, it should run 10.3 just fine. Also, 3rd party app compatibility is much better on 10.x than 8.x.
[doublepost=1515684996][/doublepost]Personally, I'd stick with 10.3 unless you experience major performance issues. You can try disabling Spotlight search and Background app refresh under Settings>General. Also try turning on Reduce Motion and Reduce Transparency under Settings>general>accessibility, these two settings will turn off some of the visual effects in iOS which will put less load on the hardware and in turn make the device faster in day-to-day use.
[doublepost=1515685033][/doublepost]Also if you find safari to be sluggish on 10.3, try a 3rd party browser such as puffin or chrome - both are available for free on the app store
[doublepost=1515685158][/doublepost]Just saw that you're on a 1 st gen mini. I think the same logic applies here - I don't recall seeing a big performance difference between 8.x and 9.x on any of my devices, so if I were you I'd just stay on 9.3.5 and try tweaking the settings to improve performance.

SM770

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2018
Brooklyn
Hey Carlvi, question. (and I know this should be in a different thread but..) How can I get garageband and iMovie on 9.3.5? The one on the app store only supports ios 11.x

I've been looking around for a few days to make sure I've done my due diligence, but I feel like I don't know the right topics/questions to search.

I have cydia on an ipad mini 2 that tops out at ios 9.3.5. Is there anyway to get some version of Garageband and iMovie on this device?

And if so can you please point me in the right direction. Any wisdom in this area would be greatly appreciated

carlvi

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2017
Hey Carlvi, question. (and I know this should be in a different thread but..) How can I get garageband and iMovie on 9.3.5? The one on the app store only supports ios 11.x

I've been looking around for a few days to make sure I've done my due diligence, but I feel like I don't know the right topics/questions to search.

I have cydia on an ipad mini 2 that tops out at ios 9.3.5. Is there anyway to get some version of Garageband and iMovie on this device?

And if so can you please point me in the right direction. Any wisdom in this area would be greatly appreciated

If you've previously downloaded/bought the apps with your Apple ID, try launching App Store then going into Updates>Purchased, locate Garageband and iMovie in this list and tap the download button. You should get a popup asking if you want to download the last compatible version, just tap yes and it'll download. If you haven't previously downloaded them - find a device thats running iOS 11, log into App Store on it with your Apple ID and download the app. it will then be marked as "purchased" on your account and you can download the older version on your iPad mini. this works for all apps btw, not just the apple ones

If you get a message saying "This app is not compatible with iPad", it means that Apple have for some reason pulled the older versions from their server. What you could do then is to simply locate the IPA (executable) file for an older version of Garageband and install it through Cydia Impactor. I googled it for you but couldn't locate old IPA files for any of these apps online, probably cause they are apple apps and nobody wants to mess with apple by hosting their IPA files outside of App Store lol

Back when I used jb:ed devices, we had something called Installous which was basically a way of downloading older and/or cracked versions of apps onto a jailbroken device. Not sure if anything like that is still around though, mind you this was back when I ran iPhone OS 3 on my 3G. If there still is something like Installous around Im sure that's where you'd find older version of garageband and imovie.

Btw glad to hear the restore went fine and your device is working again :) Since you were interested in downgrading, look up a Cydia tweak called Coolbooter. This allows you to dual-boot TWO versions of iOS on your device - you can have both the current version ie 9.3.5 and an older version of your choice (6.x-8.x) installed at the same time and just switch between them with the CoolBooter app. Basically what it does is it splits your device's storage between iOS 9 and the older version, so on a 32gb device dual booting w/ iOS 7 you'd have 16 gigs for iOS 9 and 16 gigs for iOS 7. This might be a safe way for you to find out if its worth the hassle to properly downgrade to 8.4.1 w/ Odysseusota :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.