Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSearch

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2015
My mother got an iPad 2 in early 2013 and used it until she got an iPad Air 2 in 2016. Around that time, she accidentally dropped the iPad 2 with a cheap case in front of our door step and it cracked the screen, but it still worked fine. After several months to a year, it just stopped turning on. Since 2017 it's been like that. She was using a worn 32 pin charging cable, so that may be the reason, but I'm not sure. I pulled out my old 32 pin charging cable from my iPhone 3GS and tried charging it for about an hour, held down the power button and the home button, but still nothing.

I'm going to take it to the Apple Store later in the afternoon and see if they can do anything about it, since the iPad 2 becomes obsolete at the end of the month. Any advice?

iSearch

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2015
So it turns out that the iPad is in DFU mode and the display is dead, so I was advised that if I wanted to recover my data, I should take it to a data recovery service. They were kind enough to give me business cards with discounts on them. I looked online, and there are also tools you can download, but they ask for about $50 or more to exit DFU mode. If it's that simple, are there any free options?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.