Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2011
That's very bad news. What did the Apple folks tell you? Was it a faulty battery? I noticed very fast drain - and not because of stale processes consuming 100% CPU time. (I routinely check my JB'n iDevices with top to find stale processes / daemons using the CPU.) Or, was it overheating? I keep my iPhone5 in an Otterbox Defender (with the original screen protector). Given that there was quite warm in the gym (around 28C degrees) and I've kept the iPhone in my hand half of the time further heating the device, this may have contributed to the battery dying on me - dunno.

BTW, I'm still trying to "kick in" the iPhone to save my JB. Yesterday, I got very desperate and tried to restore when the phone was detected by iTunes - was presented the 1600 error. Keeping it on a charger (with different, all-official, cables) didn't help. Now I'm trying to completely drain the battery (with the device in DFU mode with the backlight on) to see whether it helps.

I did the same. Got the 1600 errors on iTunes and couldn't get it back on.

So I took it to the apple store and said I did an update and I can't get the phone back on. They took it in the back and in about 10-15 min brought a replacement. I had the iPhone 5 still under warranty. Sucks that I lost my jailbreak, but couldn't do without a phone for that long.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
The same thing happened to me. Put it in DFU mode then leave it plugged into the wall outlet charging for an hour or 2.

In DFU mode it will not try to auto boot the iPad once it reaches a certain battery level.

Also swap out your charge cable and power adapter. If you have a bad cable or using an iPhone power adapter instead of the iPad it will not charge properly.

The iPad power adapter is 12W.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I did the same. Got the 1600 errors on iTunes and couldn't get it back on.

So I took it to the apple store and said I did an update and I can't get the phone back on. They took it in the back and in about 10-15 min brought a replacement. I had the iPhone 5 still under warranty. Sucks that I lost my jailbreak, but couldn't do without a phone for that long.

I've taken my iPhone 5 to service today too after finding out completely draining the battery didn't help either. They promised they'd either fix or replace it in a week. (We don't have Apple Stores here at the perimeter of Europe so the turnaround times are a bit higher than in countries with genuine Apple Stores.) Hope I get a replacement with 6.1.2 or earlier...

Last edited:

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
The Apple Stores in NYC will now replace batteries so if you have a battery issue ask them to replace the battery only and keep your jailbroken device.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
The Apple Stores in NYC will now replace batteries so if you have a battery issue ask them to replace the battery only and keep your jailbroken device.

And they don't refuse changing the battery (or start charging for it) if they find out the device is JB'n?

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2011
I've taken my iPhone 5 to service today too after finding out completely draining the battery didn't help either. They'll promised they'd either fix or replace it in a week. (We don't have Apple Stores here at the perimeter of Europe so the turnaround times are a bit higher than in countries with genuine Apple Stores.) Hope I get a replacement with 6.1.2 or earlier...

I was hoping I got one on 6.1.2, no dice. Mine had 6.1.4. Might see if I could find a trade. Not real sure where to look tho. Really miss my jb.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I was hoping I got one on 6.1.2, no dice. Mine had 6.1.4. Might see if I could find a trade. Not real sure where to look tho. Really miss my jb.

I think I'll get a Google Galaxy S4 if I can't jailbreak, assuming it will be able to record calls. I got sick of iOS being THIS closed. I bet Apple won't introduce something like f.lux in iOS7 either, let alone other essential JB goodies.

Jakebrown

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
So I fixed it.

1. I drained the battery as much as I could, constantly pressing buttons to get the low battery sign screen up for about a day whenever I was near the ipad.
2. Then I left it in DFU mode for a night and a day.
3. Then I left it charge for another night while in DFU mode.
4. It turned on first time this morning and it was 4% battery.

It seems to be working as before and is now charging.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
So I fixed it.

1. I drained the battery as much as I could, constantly pressing buttons to get the low battery sign screen up for about a day whenever I was near the ipad.
2. Then I left it in DFU mode for a night and a day.
3. Then I left it charge for another night while in DFU mode.
4. It turned on first time this morning and it was 4% battery.

It seems to be working as before and is now charging.
Are you using the 12W charger? It should charge faster than that.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Menniesyys2,
Hope this works out for you so you can remain JB :D

Too late... had taken my iPhone 5 for service the previous day. I should have waited a bit more - I only tried draining past the battery warn sign for 1-2 hours. Should have waited / drained (in backlit DFU mode) even more. But at least we know what to do in the future, should the same happen.

Fingers crossed I either get my iPhone back unaltered or a brand new one with an "old" firmware. Otherwise, no iP5-specific JB tweaks from me in the next few months. Fortunately, my (numerous) other iDevices stay jailbroken :) That is, I may still be able to develop JB hacks - just I'll be unable to properly test them on the iPhone 5.

Last edited:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Too late... had taken my iPhone 5 for service the previous day. I should have waited a bit more - I only tried draining past the battery warn sign for 1-2 hours. Should have waited / drained (in backlit DFU mode) even more. But at least we know what to do in the future, should the same happen.

Fingers crossed I either get my iPhone back unaltered or a brand new one with an "old" firmware. Otherwise, no iP5-specific JB tweaks from me in the next few months. Fortunately, my (numerous) other iDevices stay jailbroken :) That is, I may still be able to develop JB hacks - just I'll be unable to properly test them on the iPhone 5.

Just received it back.

Unfortunately, the bastards installed 6.1.4 on it. That is, no JB for me for a while :( Fortunately I use my iPads a lot more than my iPhone5; that is, the loss of, say, f.lux isn't that acute for me. It would be on my iPad...

The service personnel stated it was deep discharged but, otherwise, was OK. That is, they didn't swap the battery, only charged it (and restored the phone). This means by the time the phone reached them (late last week? early this week?) it could already be switched on.

The moral of the story? If you notice the charge level decreases too fast and, after reaching, say, 40%, just can't make your iPhone 5 boot in (all you see is either the DFU mode with backlight or a fading Apple logo), do NOT take it for repair. Just make sure you deep discharge it (by keeping it in the DFU mode, which, as it has backlight on, will drain the battery) and, then, wait a day or two. Or three. (Basically, do what Jakebrown recommended above at https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/17326905/ ) It WILL start working after that.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Just received it back.

Unfortunately, the bastards installed 6.1.4 on it. That is, no JB for me for a while :( Fortunately I use my iPads a lot more than my iPhone5; that is, the loss of, say, f.lux isn't that acute for me. It would be on my iPad...

The service personnel stated it was deep discharged but, otherwise, was OK. That is, they didn't swap the battery, only charged it (and restored the phone). This means by the time the phone reached them (late last week? early this week?) it could already be switched on.

lolz... after charging it to 100%, I've listened to some tunes on my just received-back iPhone 5 for 2 hours with the screen off and at a very low volume... nothing really battery-consuming, that is, I haven't run games, not even browsed the net or anything. No background apps running. The last time it was at 88% battery charge. I have a SIM in with network but nothing uses it as I have almost no third-party apps on the device. On 6.1.4, w/o JB.

Well, guess what happened 5 minutes ago. I switched it on after idling for about an hour (just like in the previous case, where it was after some idling that it refused restarting). The lock screen gradually (in about 15 seconds) faded away and just the backlight stayed on. After switching it off completely (power + home for at least 10 sec until the backlight was switched off), after some minutes, I was able to start it - only to see the Apple logo fade away and the backlight stay on.

Subsequent power-ons (assuming it was idle for at least 2-3 minutes) also result in the Apple logo fading away but the backlight staying on, from where I can only fully power down by pressing home + power for at least 10 seconds.

That is, exactly the same symptoms as last time.

There must be some kind of a hardware defect with the handset and it's definitely NOT JB- or even app-related (again, all this happened on a non-JB'n device with no third-party apps installed). Given that Apple may not really bother putting the best possible batteries in their handset (more info in my recently-posted 3GS image gallery: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/17352523/ ), it MUST be the battery.

Did anyone else notice the same?

(Hope NOW I get a replacement and it'll be pre-6.1.3...)

Last edited:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
There must be some kind of a hardware defect with the handset and it's definitely NOT JB- or even app-related (again, all this happened on a non-JB'n device with no third-party apps installed). Given that Apple may not really bother putting the best possible batteries in their handset (more info in my recently-posted 3GS image gallery: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/17352523/ ), it MUST be the battery.

Did anyone else notice the same?

Speaking of this, I've just talked to a co-worker. He told me he also been having battery issues: when in talk, the handset (iPhone 5; has been having it for several months; has never been JB'n) has lately started to just shut down from time to time. IMHO that's also a power issue.

That is, there must be battery issues with the handset older than, say, half a year. (I've purchased mine some 1.5 months after the European debut. Have never completely drained it.)

ipad rab

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2014
iPad3 Bootlooping

I too suffered the frustration of the bootlooping (pad drained off charge but still switched on) for two days: Ipad would show the red low battery symbol, indicate it was charging when any number of different cables or plugs were tried but Would Not get passed the white apple logo before it would shut down.
I tried the hard reset for 15 minutes as soon as the apple logo appeard to see if it would allow a build up of enough charge to allow me to switch off the ipad but nothing - I was desparate!
I decided to try the USB cigarette lighter in the car - as I remembered that many devices recommend that you Do Not use these regularly as they can over charge devices ...... brilliant the ipad instantly had enough power to allow me to switch the ipad off from the home screen.
By the time i had travelled 15 miles, I swtiched the ipad on - it had 12% charge and has worked ever since!!!!
I hope this helps

Boosty Canuck

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2014
ipad rab - that is spooky, I just tried the same thing with my ipad and it worked. But much to my chagrin, I left plugged in too long and it fried the charger. I hope you had better luck! :eek:

Pipnoodles

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2015
Ok. Same problem as described by jake but on an ipad3. This worked for me. Hope it helps

I used a car USB adapter. Much more power than the wall charger. As stated in above post.

Power on unit

When Apple appears hold down volume up button. I used electric tape.

Holding volume up button stopped unit from looping.

Let unit charge. 15 min. Or so. .worked for me. Good luck

----------

Thanks ipad rab jakebrown and every one else. I was looking for a solution for quite a while. And my
Home button doesn't work.

Textronics

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2016
I can boot it off when its on apple logo. But it turns itself back on and repeats (while being charged). Its as though turning itself back on once charged back to 1% then losing that 1% when it turns itself back on.

Volume up, down and clicker on the headphones does not allow safe mode either.
[doublepost=1481233579][/doublepost]If you find answer , can you let me know the fix please? I have the exact same symptoms and cannot get rid of the 1%
[doublepost=1481234091][/doublepost]Did you fix it?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
[doublepost=1481233579][/doublepost]If you find answer , can you let me know the fix please? I have the exact same symptoms and cannot get rid of the 1%
[doublepost=1481234091][/doublepost]Did you fix it?
@Textronics.

Been a little over 3 years and 6 months since OP started this thread. I have serious doubts that this is a problem to the OP any more.

Reactions: Applejuiced
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.