Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CHI3F117

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Can someone help me figure out if I'm crazy here? I have a 10.5 inch iPad Pro. I'm on the latest beta. I've noticed many examples of promotional material where Apple makes reference to app widgets from the app icon. I can't for the life of me figure out how to activate it, in or out of the dock. If I hold on the icon, it just wants to move it or enter edit mode. Is there a special way to activate this?

1EC3886E-DC69-497F-99F6-71851AAD167C.jpeg

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Can someone help me figure out if I'm crazy here? I have a 10.5 inch iPad Pro. I'm on the latest beta. I've noticed many examples of promotional material where Apple makes reference to app widgets from the app icon. I can't for the life of me figure out how to activate it, in or out of the dock. If I hold on the icon, it just wants to move it or enter edit mode. Is there a special way to activate this?

View attachment 715779

The file preview only works if there are files related to that app are saved or imported first.

Reactions: Feenician

CHI3F117

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
The file preview only works if there are files related to that app are saved or imported first.

What do you mean? I've tried to replicate the picture in my first post exactly with the files app. I cant even bring up the widget at all.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
What do you mean? I've tried to replicate the picture in my first post exactly with the files app. I cant even bring up the widget at all.

If there are no files saved in the files app in the folder named “on my iPad” then the file preview (shown in your picture) will not pop up when long pressing (3D Touch).

Try saving a file (e.g. a photo) to the files app and place it in the folder named “on my iPad”. After you have done that try long pressing / 3D Touch the files app icon on the dock or home screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Feenician

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Note to OP: The iPad does not have 3D Touch, what it does have is Long Press as what bmac89 mentions. This is due to the fact the iPad does not have the display and the haptic engine.

CHI3F117

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Hoooooly crap you guys are right. I didn't have anything saved under the on my iPad section. I've been wondering since beta 1 where that feature was. Thanks for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.