Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dustin7777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
So like many of us out there I have purchased an ipad with an activation lock i cannot get passed. I did not know of this issue at the time of purchase.

I have looked up this ipad has an apple care warranty to it. I now live in Brazil. My thoughts are if I broke the charging port and took it in for repair would they give me a new one completely erased with no activation lock. Or what damage can i do to receive a new one with out this problem.

What paper work would i need? how would i get the original owners info if i want to contact them to try to return it? I bought it on ebay and of course the person is now MIA.

peter08po

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2013
To make Apple unlock it, you will need the box of the iPad and the official receipt.

Contact AppleCare for unlock if you got these.
If you don't have these, contact the seller. Otherwise, your iPad is bricked permanently.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
So like many of us out there I have purchased an ipad with an activation lock i cannot get passed. I did not know of this issue at the time of purchase.

I have looked up this ipad has an apple care warranty to it. I now live in Brazil. My thoughts are if I broke the charging port and took it in for repair would they give me a new one completely erased with no activation lock. Or what damage can i do to receive a new one with out this problem.

What paper work would i need? how would i get the original owners info if i want to contact them to try to return it? I bought it on ebay and of course the person is now MIA.

The perils of buying off eBay. Contact the seller if possible. Until you get then to remove the activation lock the iPad is useless.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
try and contact the seller from ebay, if they are original owner

If the previous owner is not present
Contact the previous owner and ask them to follow these steps to remove the device from their account:

Sign in to their iCloud account at http://www.icloud.com/find.
Click All Devices to open a list of devices linked to their account, then select the device to be removed. It should show a gray dot or the word “Offline” next to the device name.
Click "Remove from Account" to remove the device from their account.
After the device is removed from the previous owner’s account, turn the device off by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake button located on the top-right side of the device. Then restart your device and proceed with device setup as you would normally.

If they are not the owner with the activation lock you have a very nice paper weight. Apple will not unlock the device without proof of original ownership.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
If you bought off eBay, you have 45 days to open a dispute. Open one, then contact the seller to furnish the required activation info. If he doesn't, you will get a refund.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis

You purchased a STOLEN device.

Activation Lock was designed for one purpose: to deter theft.

There is no fix. There is no work-around.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You purchased a STOLEN device.

Activation Lock was designed for one purpose: to deter theft.

There is no fix. There is no work-around.
Or the seller didn't deactivate Activation Lock (yet) for one reason or another. The device being stolen is certainly one possibility, but not necessarily the most likely one with the information provided so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.