Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thizisweird

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
My iPad doesn't really serve much purpose these days, except for being a Sidecar display I've noticed. That's great to me, as I like to do multi-screen video editing and music production. Then again, I've noticed quite a drawback to using the iPad as a second display.

My biggest complaint was when using FCPX, and utilizing the iPad for my video playback. Depending on the task, it was tolerable enough to make the edits I desired (nothing beyond a basic hack job, let's be honest). I could hardly get realtime video playback when desired, whereas the MBP's native display was flawless by comparison. I had very choppy playback, mixed with lag, mixed with idk what happened sometimes lol. I found a use for the iPad, and it helped clean up the cluttered 13" MBP workspace... but it wasn't an experience I will be looking forward to in future editing situations. I am curious to what point the iPad makes a difference, though. In other words, would an updated iPad be more responsive? Regardless of me using a cable (I'm connecting a brand new base model MBP 13" with a standard Apple brand cable to the iPad), I have problems with overall performance on my 6 gen iPad.

Depending on what's actually causing the problems I encounter, I'd be happy to switch to the latest iPad Air, as my pencil will carry over (found it super cheap, so I'd like to keep it). I'd gain a 2 generation processor upgrade, a hair better resolution, and a couple updates to other less useful features for me, but if Sidecar improves drastically... might be time to pony up more cash for another iPad.

Any thoughts? The majority of my use for Sidecar would be basic multi-display uses (think a video and an email side by side), combined with FCPX and Logic or Pro Tools for multi-display production suites. I will also desire to switch between Sidecar and the Logic app for certain features (like playing a synthesizer), so not sure how multi-tasking capabilities play out with that. If anything else, I'd want to run screen recording software on the MacBook while monitoring the recording software on the iPad.

As always, I appreciate any and all input ? hope you guys are staying safe out there!

thizisweird

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
A 2018 iPad Pro or a 2020 iPad Pro would probably be more responsive, yes.
Could you give me a little more detail on what to expect? Just overall a much more snappy performance, more like having a traditional second display? And where exactly do we start to see the performance gains coming in? IE: is the processor a big deal, or is it the overall performance of the iPad? Just trying to understand what I'm potentially buying into ?

thizisweird

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, it largely has to do with the processor.

I know it's a bit late for a reply, but I'm still quite curious if the current iPad Air would be worthy of consideration? Or maybe wait for the next generation of non-pro models to come out? I'm going to start using my iPad more with sidecar, and I can't help but wonder if the A12 upgrade would be enough for my uses.

I'm not looking to use the iPad for color grading, or other sensitive work, it would mostly act as an interactive display for mixing boards/menus/spare windows/etc. While I'd like the upgrade in real estate with the larger iPad Pro, I have no use for it when it isn't acting as a display. I really like the iPad Air, and the price is right with me. I don't know if I can afford a better upgrade either.

I'm also considering trading in my current iPad and old MacBook Air to get a new iPad sometime soon, as both of them would be collecting dust in my hands. I've offered them to my friend, and he doesn't want to take the MacBook Air from me (he doesn't want to have to deal with the switch over to macOS). I'm definitely in the market, but not trying to pull the trigger overnight by any stretch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.