Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CRX

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
Ottawa
I'm considering a base iPad primarily for notes/planning work during my 9-5 WFH copywriting job, general browsing/entertainment, and performing line edits of my manuscript with the Apple Pencil (reduces paper waste and clutter). Own a Mini 5 and love it, but lately I've found the screen size a little too restrictive now that I use it to work on my book. And, factoring in degradation, the battery life isn't quite where I need it to be. Apple's offering a $210 CDN refund to my cc and prorated Applecare+ for trading it in after ordering, which is easier/safer/less hassle than trying to sell on Marketplace living in a pandemic hotspot. I'm fine with that.

I personally find the iPad Pro/Air 4 design, while beautiful, a little too... "thin and sensitive," I guess? Not fragile exactly, but I feel like I'd be babying the device given the cost when I really just want to focus on using it. Plus said cost isn't really justified given my needs. And then I'd have to upgrade to Pencil 2, likely the Magic Keyboard as well. Next thing you know, I'm spending 2-3 times as much without my use case changing.

I'm hearing rumours that iPad 9 will adopt the Air 3 design, which is great except for the *potential* risk of white spots as with all models released using the 10.5-inch form factor. I'd like to think this would be avoided by redesigning/rearranging the internals, but there's no way of knowing until several months after launch - after which the iPad 8 will be unavailable - so I'm not sure that I should wait. Battery life is excellent on the 10.2, non-laminated display I'm used to from iPad 6 and a matte screen protector helps soften the pencil noise/fight glare, and the thicker design I personally find more durable anyway.

Any friendly advice is always welcome! Thanks for your time and stay safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: sracer

CRX

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
Ottawa
I hear the iPad 10 will be even better.
Hell, I could wait two years for the 11 just to be safe!

tbh I'm probably just going to order the 8 and give it a shot within the 14-day return period.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I'm hearing rumours that iPad 9 will adopt the Air 3 design, which is great except for the *potential* risk of white spots as with all models released using the 10.5-inch form factor. I'd like to think this would be avoided by redesigning/rearranging the internals, but there's no way of knowing until several months after launch - after which the iPad 8 will be unavailable - so I'm not sure that I should wait. Battery life is excellent on the 10.2, non-laminated display I'm used to from iPad 6 and a matte screen protector helps soften the pencil noise/fight glare, and the thicker design I personally find more durable anyway.

Lower end iPads have been all about recycling old designs to keep costs low. If Apple does switch to Air 3/Pro 10.5 form factor, I wouldn't bank on the internal layout changing.

Reactions: Digitalguy

CRX

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
Ottawa
Lower end iPads have been all about recycling old designs to keep costs low. If Apple does switch to Air 3/Pro 10.5 form factor, I wouldn't bank on the internal layout changing.
Yep. I'm assuming this as well. Might as well order now and try it out before/if they change it to that.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Yep. I'm assuming this as well. Might as well order now and try it out before/if they change it to that.
I have had the 8 for 6 months and am quite pleased with it. Light but sturdy and does what I require.

Reactions: CRX

CRX

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
Ottawa
I have had the 8 for 6 months and am quite pleased with it. Light but sturdy and does what I require.
Thanks for chiming in! Yeah, I feel like I don't need anything fancier yet also won't have a compromised experience due to the same chip/RAM as Mini 5.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I'm considering a base iPad primarily for notes/planning work during my 9-5 WFH copywriting job, general browsing/entertainment, and performing line edits of my manuscript with the Apple Pencil (reduces paper waste and clutter). Own a Mini 5 and love it, but lately I've found the screen size a little too restrictive now that I use it to work on my book. And, factoring in degradation, the battery life isn't quite where I need it to be. Apple's offering a $210 CDN refund to my cc and prorated Applecare+ for trading it in after ordering, which is easier/safer/less hassle than trying to sell on Marketplace living in a pandemic hotspot. I'm fine with that.

I personally find the iPad Pro/Air 4 design, while beautiful, a little too... "thin and sensitive," I guess? Not fragile exactly, but I feel like I'd be babying the device given the cost when I really just want to focus on using it. Plus said cost isn't really justified given my needs. And then I'd have to upgrade to Pencil 2, likely the Magic Keyboard as well. Next thing you know, I'm spending 2-3 times as much without my use case changing.

I like the way you're thinking about this.
thumpsup.gif
...and not because your thought process mirrors mine... well, maybe just a little. ?

I'm currently using an iPad Mini 5 + Apple Pencil + smartcover as my daily iPad. Before that, it was the iPad 6 + Mini 4.

There are many reasons why i prefer the "classic" iPad chassis over the new styles and the iPad 8 checks off all the boxes. But I know that it is only a matter of time before there is no "full-size" iPad with that classic chassis. The iPad 8 might be the last one.

I don't think you'll need to wait after an iPad 9 is announced. If it retains the classic chassis, then it will most likely be a processor upgrade. If it takes on the Air chassis, then expect it to have exactly the same internal arrangement as the Air. (including the potential white-spot issue).

What I plan on doing, is to keep a close eye on what gets released after the iPad 8. If it simply an 8 with upgraded processor, I'll wait and watch, knowing that there is still time with that form-factor. But if the "9" is a repackaged Air, then I'll immediately run out and buy an 8... and wait a few months as the peripherals go on clearance.

I did this with the Mini 5 and was able to buy a bunch of peripherals and covers for pennies on the dollar because most people didn't know that except for a few minor changes, Mini 4 peripherals work with the Mini 5.

CRX

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
Ottawa
I like the way you're thinking about this. View attachment 1770663 ...and not because your thought process mirrors mine... well, maybe just a little. ?

I'm currently using an iPad Mini 5 + Apple Pencil + smartcover as my daily iPad. Before that, it was the iPad 6 + Mini 4.

There are many reasons why i prefer the "classic" iPad chassis over the new styles and the iPad 8 checks off all the boxes. But I know that it is only a matter of time before there is no "full-size" iPad with that classic chassis. The iPad 8 might be the last one.

I don't think you'll need to wait after an iPad 9 is announced. If it retains the classic chassis, then it will most likely be a processor upgrade. If it takes on the Air chassis, then expect it to have exactly the same internal arrangement as the Air. (including the potential white-spot issue).

What I plan on doing, is to keep a close eye on what gets released after the iPad 8. If it simply an 8 with upgraded processor, I'll wait and watch, knowing that there is still time with that form-factor. But if the "9" is a repackaged Air, then I'll immediately run out and buy an 8... and wait a few months as the peripherals go on clearance.

I did this with the Mini 5 and was able to buy a bunch of peripherals and covers for pennies on the dollar because most people didn't know that except for a few minor changes, Mini 4 peripherals work with the Mini 5.
I totally agree with this approach. In my case, factoring in the Mini trade credit that could decline by the time the 9 is announced, coupled with the risk of Apple no longer selling the 8 once it's revealed, it's probably safer/more cost effective if I order and try the 8 out.

Last edited:

CRX

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
Ottawa
Thanks everyone for the insights! I went ahead and ordered the 128 GB. Switching from the space grey of my Mini 5 to silver. 3-4 week lead time sucks but it is what it is. Getting it for basically $379 CDN after the trade-in refund + prorated Applecare is a pretty sweet deal. ?

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
The problem with the iPad 8 is that it supports Apple Pencil 1, if you're going to use Apple Pencil. We see that Apple is probably going to discontinue it in favor of the Apple pencil 2, with the latest Air supporting Apple Pencil 2. Seems like the days for the Apple Pencil 1 are numbered.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
I also prefer the non-laminated displays of the base iPads. I've never experienced the white spot, uneven colors, yellow bands, or other reported anomalies. I also prefer the glass display separation as it prevents the finger pressure sensitivity that often leads to these issues.

On top of that, not nearly as much finger smudging and constant cleaning with the classic design. The Retina display is just as excellent in my opinion.

So I agree with others here to watch what happens with the 9, and if it moves toward the budget version of an Air or Pro, consider an 8 which will likely go on sale as the 9 replaces it. Otherwise I'd hold out for the 9.

CRX

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
Ottawa
The problem with the iPad 8 is that it supports Apple Pencil 1, if you're going to use Apple Pencil. We see that Apple is probably going to discontinue it in favor of the Apple pencil 2, with the latest Air supporting Apple Pencil 2. Seems like the days for the Apple Pencil 1 are numbered.
No problem since I don't want to waste the Apple Pencil 1 I already use with my Mini 5. Works beautifully and saves money. And if iPad 9 is going to adopt the 10.5 Air 3 form factor, it'll still use Pencil 1. And then there's the matter of Mini 6 possibly using the same "old" design just with smaller bezels. So Pencil 1 would be used with it as well. Days don't seem all that numbered to me, plus alternatives like the Logitech Crayon exist.

Last edited:

CRX

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
Ottawa
I also prefer the non-laminated displays of the base iPads. I've never experienced the white spot, uneven colors, yellow bands, or other reported anomalies. I also prefer the glass display separation as it prevents the finger pressure sensitivity that often leads to these issues.

On top of that, not nearly as much finger smudging and constant cleaning with the classic design. The Retina display is just as excellent in my opinion.

So I agree with others here to watch what happens with the 9, and if it moves toward the budget version of an Air or Pro, consider an 8 which will likely go on sale as the 9 replaces it. Otherwise I'd hold out for the 9.
That's true regarding the pressure sensitivity. Never thought of that.

I've gone ahead and ordered since the Mini 5 trade-in credit will only go down as time goes on. Plus they're prorating AppleCare, so it's an excellent price altogether this way. If I were to wait for 9 and it ends up having the Air 3 design/white spot risk, I'd be screwed if I wanted to buy the 8 through Apple via the trade-in offer as the older model would be replaced.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
That's true regarding the pressure sensitivity. Never thought of that.

I've gone ahead and ordered since the Mini 5 trade-in credit will only go down as time goes on. Plus they're prorating AppleCar so it's an excellent price altogether this way. If I were to wait for 9 and it ends up having the white spot issue, I'd be screwed if I wanted to buy the 8 through Apple via the trade-in offer as it would be replaced.
That's a great approach, considering the AppleCare and trade-in situation as well as uncertainty of what the 9 will look like.

CRX

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
Ottawa
That's a great approach, considering the AppleCare and trade-in situation as well as uncertainty of what the 9 will look like.
I'd like to think so, yeah! Thanks. I don't need it any thinner (possibly sacrificing battery) and would only be missing out on a laminate/true tone/P3 display anyway if it takes on the Air 3 look. For basically $379 CDN out of pocket, I feel good about the decision. Now to just keep it and not fall victim to "ooh, shiny new thing" syndrome ?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

If you're not using it for art, there's the Logitech Crayon as well as Apple Pencil clones utilizing the same tech. These work just as well as the original Apple Pencil for PDF markup and notetaking.

My Apple Pencil 1's battery is shot which is one of the reasons I'm upgrading from the 2017 to the 2021 iPad Pro. I plan on just using my existing Logitech Crayon and Adonit Note instead of buying the Apple Pencil 2. Bonus, the Crayon and the Note don't require pairing. Just turn on and they can be used interchangeably on any 2018 iPad and newer. I reckon the no-pairing thing makes the Crayon ideal for the classroom setting which is its target market.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Apple is not going to discontinue the Pencil 1 anytime soon. The Mini 5 supports the Pencil 1 and it is heavily used in vertical markets. The Pencil 1 is cheaper and and doesn't require a new iPad Pro chassis to charge it.

TomOSeven

Suspended
Jul 4, 2017
I've gone ahead and ordered since the Mini 5 trade-in credit will only go down as time goes on.
Wait, you had a Mini 5, traded it in, and still had to pay 380 dollars for the iPad?

You're being ripped off, man. You could just sell the mini on ebay and almost have no loss buying a new iPad 8.

• Haha

CRX

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
Ottawa
Wait, you had a Mini 5, traded it in, and still had to pay 380 dollars for the iPad?

You're being ripped off, man. You could just sell the mini on ebay and almost have no loss buying a new iPad 8.
Yeah, yeah. Was waiting for one of these.

I already explained why. I'm fine with the amount as I've had it 2 years already. I'm also saving on the Applecare for the new one. And I don't have time to screw around with relisting, constant price fiddling, griefing buyers wanting it for $100 on eBay or who change their minds and want to return. And then there's the question of needlessly going to the post office living in a COVID hotspot with a high-risk household. You have fun with that if you want, by all means! If it wasn't a nightmare selling anything online, especially nowadays, I'd be inclined to agree with you, but I don't get the sensation of being ripped off at all.

Last edited:

GSWForever8

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2021

I'm hoping for magic keyboard support and Apple Pencil 2 support. I can't attach my pencil to the iPad and the Smart Keyboard doesn't cover the back.

CRX

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
Ottawa
I'm hoping for magic keyboard support and Apple Pencil 2 support. I can't attach my pencil to the iPad and the Smart Keyboard doesn't cover the back.
Would be great if they made an external magnetic charger like the MagSafe puck, but for Pencil 2. Then I could see no need for Pencil 1 anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.