Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muchomu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
houston
Hi,

I am considering purchasing a new ipad, does the ipad 9.7 2017 5th generation is going to have all the features coming in ios 11 (like the new ipad pro 10.5)? Where can I find out this information?

Thank you.

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
Hi,

I am considering purchasing a new ipad, does the ipad 9.7 2017 5th generation is going to have all the features coming in ios 11 (like the new ipad pro 10.5)? Where can I find out this information?

Thank you.

I have this iPad and from what I can see by running the beta, all of the iPad specific features of ios11 are present. Obviously you can’t use the features of Apple Pencil or the Smart Keyboard but everything else is there.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
The one thing I know that it won't do is have two apps in split view and one app in slide over and have them all be active at the same time. The top app will be active, and the other 2 apps will gray out. The 2017 iPad has 2 GB of RAM, which is the reason for the limitation. Any iPad with 4 GB of RAM (1st and 2nd gen iPad Pro 12.9" as well as 10.5" iPad Pro) will be able to have all 3 apps active on the screen at the same time with Picture in Picture running at the same time as well.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I think you are right. However, I don't think this is a huge deal. The new multi-tasking features in IOS 11 are great, but let's face it...the iPad works best one app at a time. Split screen occasionally. Three finger swipe over sometimes. Drag and drop once in a while. But, for the most part, one app at a time. Most people will rarely if ever need to have three active apps going at once. It's like taking a mini van off-roading.....it's not a great experience.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I think you are right. However, I don't think this is a huge deal. The new multi-tasking features in IOS 11 are great, but let's face it...the iPad works best one app at a time. Split screen occasionally. Three finger swipe over sometimes. Drag and drop once in a while. But, for the most part, one app at a time. Most people will rarely if ever need to have three active apps going at once. It's like taking a mini van off-roading.....it's not a great experience.
Agreed. And it's $329 vs $649 just to get the three active apps if you don't care for the other features on the Pro 10.5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.