Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RaphaZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2021
Hello!
Is anyone using iPad 9 Gen with the recent iOS? If so, does it drain battery a lot? Does it feel snappy?
I'm still using the native one.

Thank you.

GaryGnu

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2019
I don't remember what mine came with, but it's on the latest public release and it's the same as it was.
Cheapest model they sold, so whatever base memory is.
I could check, but it's all the way over there, and the force is not strong with me....

• Haha
Reactions: RaphaZ

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
My mom’s iPad 9 has been running iPadOS 15.7, until this day, with no major issues and a great battery life.

Yesterday I took it, and DFU-restored it with the IPSW of iPadOS 16.6.1 -still signed to this very moment-, and after doing the usual configuration such as disabling predictive keyboard, disabling live text and other features she’s not gonna use… the iPad is set up for the next year or so.

The iPad feels very snappy, surprisingly, thr keyboard feels better than on iPadOS 15, and battery life is pretty good as well, for now. To be honest, while I set up this iPad 9, I realize how good product is, in terms of value. This was priced at 360€ when I purchased it, new, with student discount, and the tablet has a really gorgeous LCD display, and the 3GB of RAM and the A13 are, for now, more than enough.

However, I’ve read a lot of complaints about iOS 17 regarding battery life, because of the more intensive Machine Learning features, that my mom is likely not gonna use in her entire life. iPadOS 16 had the weather app, which was a great addition and one of the reasons I restored and upgraded this iPad 9 (typing from it right now), but honestly I dont see much compelling reasons to update this iPad to iPadOS 17 right now. So I will wait, and see how it goes during the next year reading your experiences.

Reactions: RaphaZ
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.