Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
iPad’s don’t often go on sale and when they do it’s usually for a week or so. But recently where I work the iPad 9 was put on sale a week ago and the sale doesn’t expire until mid March. No, it’s not as good a sale as what we had for Black Friday and Boxing Day, but it’s noteworthy in how long the 9 will be on sale and when it will supposedly expire (assuming the sale isn’t extended).

It looks like our store as well as Apple hopes to clear out as much inventory as possible between now and March. This could well be an indication the iPad 9 is nearing its retirement from Apple’s product line. That would gel with indications Apple will be releasing a bunch of iPads this coming March/April with iPad 11 replacing the 10 and the 9 finally discontinued.

I suspect this is likely. But the question arises: with the entry level 9 gone will the 11 be introduced at a reduced price (from the 10 it’s replacing) to be a more reasonably priced entry level iPad?

I know the iPad 9 will be missed by many. It’s the last iPad in a long familiar configuration with a Home button and Lightning connector. For many it’s what they envision when they think of iPad. And for many it was an ideal device for their needs for the price.

But everything has a shelf life and its time has come.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
iPad’s don’t often go on sale and when they do it’s usually for a week or so. But recently where I work the iPad 9 was put on sale a week ago and the sale doesn’t expire until mid March. No, it’s not as good a sale as what we had for Black Friday and Boxing Day, but it’s noteworthy in how long the 9 will be on sale and when it will supposedly expire (assuming the sale isn’t extended).

It looks like our store as well as Apple hopes to clear out as much inventory as possible between now and March. This could well be an indication the iPad 9 is nearing its retirement from Apple’s product line. That would gel with indications Apple will be releasing a bunch of iPads this coming March/April with iPad 11 replacing the 10 and the 9 finally discontinued.

I suspect this is likely. But the question arises: with the entry level 9 gone will the 11 be introduced at a reduced price (from the 10 it’s replacing) to be a more reasonably priced entry level iPad?

I know the iPad 9 will be missed by many. It’s the last iPad in a long familiar configuration with a Home button and Lightning connector. For many it’s what they envision when they think of iPad. And for many it was an ideal device for their needs for the price.

I agree with your assessment that the 9th gen iPad will be discontinued in March/April and that the 11th gen will replace the 10th.

But with regard to pricing... no, the 11th gen will cost at least as much as the 10th, with perhaps a $25-50 price increase. Even with a $50 increase it will be a "reasonably priced" entry level iPad. Apple produced the low-priced, entry level iPads to complete with Chromebooks. With the market nearing a saturation point with Chromebooks, there is less competition, and so Apple can move back to pricing the iPad's entry level to $499 (where iPads initially started).

I'm a big fan of the 9th gen (which, in addition to the home button and lightening connector, has a headphone jack, no camera bump, and support for the smartcover, not smart folio) but I know that if am to stay with iPads in the future, I'll need to move on from this form-factor.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
If we take inflation into account the iPad 9 is priced distinctly less than its direct predecessors going back all the way to the first iPad. Making the 10/11 the new entry level price point would be a significant price jump (for an entry level) as opposed to adjusting the price to somewhere between the 9 and 10.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
If we take inflation into account the iPad 9 is priced distinctly less than its direct predecessors going back all the way to the first iPad. Making the 10/11 the new entry level price point would be a significant price jump (for an entry level) as opposed to adjusting the price to somewhere between the 9 and 10.
That is correct. But Apple has never been in the market of commodity hardware. When they introduced the 10th gen at a significantly higher price than the 9th, it signaled the beginning of a price adjustment for the entire line.

Back on May 30 2022, I agreed with a prediction that the 10th gen would be based on the Air and be $30-50 more than the 9th gen. It turned out that it was based on the Air but it was $100 more than the 9th gen. ;)

I hope that I'm wrong this time, but my spidey-sense tells me that I'm not.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
Canadian pricing might be a bit different.

- iPad 9 64GB = regularly $449 (up $20 about a year ago after being $429 for several years). Currently on sale for $399, but during Black Friday and Boxing Day on sale for $369.
- iPad 10 64GB = $599
- iPad Air 64GB = $799
- iPad Pro 11 128GB = $1099

If the iPad 11 could come in at about $529 while replacing both the 9 and 10 that could be an acceptable compromise.

Last edited:
  • Love

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I really wanted to like the iPad 9.. but, the constant reloading got so annoying, I had to return it in favor of the 10. That 1 GB RAM has made all the difference, and my primary use case is watching YT and browsing while on my treadmill at home.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
It’s the last iPad in a long familiar configuration with a Home button and Lightning connector. For many it’s what they envision when they think of iPad. And for many it was an ideal device for their needs for the price.
I just bought another refurbished iPad mini 5. It's so much better than the new mini in it's physical design (aspect ratio, Touch ID home button, button placement, back-rounded edges), for that small hand-held size.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022

Apple may well keep the 9th gen whilst upgrading the 10 to the 11. All these entry level models that some people bark on about having too little of this or not enough of that miss the fact that Apple largely sells these machines in bulk to enterprise and education where they can make some massive margins.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Apple may well keep the 9th gen whilst upgrading the 10 to the 11. All these entry level models that some people bark on about having too little of this or not enough of that miss the fact that Apple largely sells these machines in bulk to enterprise and education where they can make some massive margins.
The longer that Apple continues to sell the 9th gen, the longer they need to support it. ("x" years support after it is discontinued) Even if Apple were to discontinue the 9th gen today, they'd be contractually obligated to provide support for 2-4 years (depending upon the contract and service agreement).

The 9th gen was a transition model away from the iPad Mini 5 which was used widespread in vertical markets. I can see the 9th gen being discontinued within the next 12 months.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
But with regard to pricing... no, the 11th gen will cost at least as much as the 10th, with perhaps a $25-50 price increase.
that does not seem likely at all.
Apple almost never increases prices with tiny spec bumps, and that’s all the iPad 11 will be. It got its total design refresh back in 2022, it’s going to have that design for a very long time.

At most, the upgrade will be bumping it from an A14 chip (which is already going on four years old) to something more modern like an A16.
And I fully expect the price to drop by $100, just like the most recent Mac mini did, just like the MacBook Air just did.

$349, which is still more expensive than the ninth generation iPad, but still cheap enough for education customers to buy them in bulk at $300 apiece.
It is absolutely essential Apple keep that $299 (for education customers) price around.

Pinterra

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2024
The 9th gen was a transition model away from the iPad Mini 5 which was used widespread in vertical markets. I can see the 9th gen being discontinued within the next 12 months.

And it will have overstayed its welcome, imo.

Reading this thread, I’m surprised it’s so beloved. I know people who have them from a few years ago, but I really feel like it’s existence as the “are you sure you don’t want to pay more for the nicer 10th Gen” had been annoying and unnecessary.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
People often gravitate to the familiar, hence the 9’s popularity. But as more people have more current phones with swipe gestures the lack of the familiar home button will soon become a non issue.

People can also be budget minded, understandably. Probably they would like the newer, nicer device, but they reason saving the extra money will still get them something sufficient to their needs.

For most people it’s a constant tug-of-war between what they’d like and what they feel comfortable spending.

The popularity of the 9 and the generations that preceded it prove to Apple the value of a reasonably priced entry level iPad.

Last edited:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

Reading this thread, I’m surprised it’s so beloved. I know people who have them from a few years ago, but I really feel like it’s existence as the “are you sure you don’t want to pay more for the nicer 10th Gen” had been annoying and unnecessary.
Your sentiment is unfortunately shared by many. There is a sense among some Apple customers that frown upon the existence of devices that they personally don't care for.

It is no secret that I'm a fan of the 9th gen iPad. The "classic" form-factor has quite a few benefits over the 10th gen, Air, and Pro models. For those who don't care about those benefits, then yes, it makes no sense for them to buy one.

But for those few of us who CAN take advantage of those benefits, there is no other option in the iPad lineup.

Pinterra

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2024
Your sentiment is unfortunately shared by many. There is a sense among some Apple customers that frown upon the existence of devices that they personally don't care for.

It is no secret that I'm a fan of the 9th gen iPad. The "classic" form-factor has quite a few benefits over the 10th gen, Air, and Pro models. For those who don't care about those benefits, then yes, it makes no sense for them to buy one.

But for those few of us who CAN take advantage of those benefits, there is no other option in the iPad lineup.
I mean, I don’t judge others on how they spend their hard-earned money. If those features appeal to you, go for it. Instead, it’s just kept me from buying one recently at all.

I’m more mad about it representing keeping something old around to mark up something new, even if it’s not that much nicer.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
It would be great if the base iPad was bumped up from an A14 to an A15 , but so far I’ve only seen rumours of updated iPad pros and iPad airs. Unless there are more leaks in coming weeks at the moment I think we can still expect the 9th gen to be dropped alongside new airs and pros, but the current 10th gen base iPad remaining available,

maybe as part of dropping the 9th gen they will reprice the 10th gen lower instead of updating it with an A15. That would be unusual for Apple though, just haven’t seen any leaks for an 11th gen yet .

Last edited:

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016

Again, it’s existence is mostly for education customers who need something that’s no more expensive than $300, and is tried and tested.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
The 9th has to be one of the best iPads I've owned. And even though getting a bit old since 2021 release, I don't notice any performance issues or lagginess, consistently to the most recent update. It just seems to do everything well. $179 no tax at military store.

Last edited:

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
Best Buy knocked $100 off the iPad Air5 this was even before their black Friday sales, my four year old iPad needed replacing it was time to buy today it's back to the full $750 price..

• Sad
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.