Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacoro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2018
I took my wife's iPad air 1 in to have the charge port replaced at a local repair shop. After returning it to them to fix a couple of serious issues I picked it up again and it at first appeared perfectly good again.
I hadn't noticed that there is now a thin gap between the edge of the screen and the silver bezel. It's wide enough to insert your fingernail and extends around 75% of the screen.
My concern is this: is this common on repaired iPads - they did replace the screen. I'm worried about dust or moisture getting in and causing damage. And my wife is very upset that it wasn't returned in the same condition we gave it to them - she's taken immaculate care of it over the years and it was in mint condition besides the bad charge port.
Is this a sign of substandard screens? Bent case? Poor worksmanship? All three?

Finally, are there repair shops out there that can fix this problem?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I took my wife's iPad air 1 in to have the charge port replaced at a local repair shop. After returning it to them to fix a couple of serious issues I picked it up again and it at first appeared perfectly good again.
I hadn't noticed that there is now a thin gap between the edge of the screen and the silver bezel. It's wide enough to insert your fingernail and extends around 75% of the screen.
My concern is this: is this common on repaired iPads - they did replace the screen. I'm worried about dust or moisture getting in and causing damage. And my wife is very upset that it wasn't returned in the same condition we gave it to them - she's taken immaculate care of it over the years and it was in mint condition besides the bad charge port.
Is this a sign of substandard screens? Bent case? Poor worksmanship? All three?

Finally, are there repair shops out there that can fix this problem?

If the iPad was in mint condition, then the casing was not bent. Also, If the iPad was not like that when you brought into the store, and now the display is uneven, you need to bring it to their attention. It was not repaired properly and now the display is compromised where anything could get inside and cause further issues. They should replace your display again and inspect it prior to leaving the store. That store you had your iPad repaired at, should have some type of policy in place or warranty for their work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.