Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jay3197

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2015
So I have the iPad Air (1st gen) that’s still running 10.3. When iOS 11 dropped, I installed it but ended up bringing it back to 10.3 since it slowed to a crawl. No idea how iOS 12 will treat it considering it only has 1GB ram and an A7. Anyone have any experience with iOS 12 and an OG iPad air ?

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
So I have the iPad Air (1st gen) that’s still running 10.3. When iOS 11 dropped, I installed it but ended up bringing it back to 10.3 since it slowed to a crawl. No idea how iOS 12 will treat it considering it only has 1GB ram and an A7. Anyone have any experience with iOS 12 and an OG iPad air ?
I updated my 1st gen air to IOS 12 while I left my mini 2 (same specs) on ios 10 (in order not to lose some 32bit apps). The air is slightly faster on ios 12, so you should not be afraid to update (unless some 32bits apps are important to you), but don't expect any major improvement. You would barely notice the difference. I do because I could compare side by side, otherwise I am not sure I could tell which one is faster.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
My iPad Air (1st generation) didn't slow down when I updated it to iOS 12.

Reactions: Virgilinsanity

Jay3197

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2015
My iPad Air (1st generation) didn't slow down when I updated it to iOS 12.
Mine did, web pages would refresh the moment you went back home and reopened safari even if you didn’t open up another app. Very noticeable performance hit it took, then again it was when iOS 11.0 dropped, never kept it long enough to see how it leveled out after any updates

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA

iOS 12 runs great on my original iPad Air. App updates are a bit slow to install but general media consumption/email/forums and web run okay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.