Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anitak1982

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2017
West Central Ohio
My daughter's ipad has really slowed down and freezes. She uses this mainly for all her banking. Is it the battery slowing like apple mentioned doing? It isn't under warranty anymore. If she got a new battery from Apple would this fix this?

Shadow Jolteon

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2018
For a first generation iPad, you would be unable to get a new battery directly from Apple, due to it being a very old model. If you're having problems with the battery, you would need to purchase that through a third party.

Devices being throttled due to degraded batteries was a function added in more recent updates of iOS, and the last update for iOS for the first generation iPad was a very long time ago, being iOS 5.1.1 released in 2012. The cost of labor and the battery may be more than the device itself would even be worth, and the device would be pretty limited in what it is able to do nowadays, both in terms of software and hardware.

Edit: Sorry, I missed that you said it is an iPad Air! That one you should be able to have the battery replaced, though I am not sure how much it would cost through Apple to get it repaired. It could also be a software issue.

You may want to try backing it up to iTunes, then wiping the device and see if problems persist. If they do not, then you know the problem is likely with some setting or application they were using on the device. You can try either starting back from scratch there, or restore the backup, and if the problem persists, try troubleshooting from there by seeing whether it is freezing up in a certain application, using certain functions, etc.

Last edited:

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
As far as I know the battery throttling is an iPhone specific thing. The 1gb ram in the iPad Air is often cited as a big reason for it’s sluggishness on recent iOS versions. I’d save the cost of a battery replacement and put it towards the new iPad that’s due imminently - it’s meant to be even cheaper than the current (2017) model by all accounts.

anitak1982

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2017
West Central Ohio
For a first generation iPad, you would be unable to get a new battery directly from Apple, due to it being a very old model. If you're having problems with the battery, you would need to purchase that through a third party.

Devices being throttled due to degraded batteries was a function added in more recent updates of iOS, and the last update for iOS for the first generation iPad was a very long time ago, being iOS 5.1.1 released in 2012. The cost of labor and the battery may be more than the device itself would even be worth, and the device would be pretty limited in what it is able to do nowadays, both in terms of software and hardware.
It is an ipad air not an original ipad.

Reactions: Kalloud

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
iPads don't do the battery throttling thing, no. Their batteries are large enough that they aren't affected.

The Air sadly has just gotten really quite slow

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Is it a 16gb version? When storage is maxed out performance can get sluggish. I’d try to restore as new using iTunes and see how it performs. Then add the apps, contacts and data she uses. The Air does have hardware limitations but, it should still be usable.

antifocus

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2014
iPad Air is just slow on iOS11, there is no solution.
I honestly can't see how Apple find this is an acceptable update for iPad Air, I am just disappointed.

Reactions: anitak1982
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.