Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I upgraded to an Air 2 from a Mini 2. I took the SIM from the old iPad but it doesn't seem to work in the new one. It just says " searching" and never connects to the network. All iPad Air Cellular models are identical, correct? Any ideas before I contact ATT?

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
the only thing i can think of before calling AT&T is to power down both iPads. maybe even wait 5 minutes. remove sim cards.

turn on new iPad air 2
wait for it to power on and say no sim
insert old sim

that should work
if it doesn't maybe contact AT&T and ask them to update the sim cards??

does the new iPad air 2 have a wifi connection?? it might need to download a profile from wifi ???

i saw my iPhone 6 plus downloading profiles when i switched sims around

from my testing , iOS devices need to power on with no sim card , and then you install the sim , to update
the sim card to do its sim card stuff. I've tried turning the iPad and iPhone off and on with the sim card inside
and it just doesn't seem to do anything

like when i switch the sim cards i won't get certain features, like tethering, VoLTE , or Virtual Voice Mail
until i did that sim card dance. it seemed to magically restore stuff, where just inserting the sim and powering up didnt work

plus i read somewhere on verizon that if you do this on an iPad or an iPhone it will update the sim card's tower tables.

Last edited:

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
the only thing i can think of before calling AT&T is to power down both iPads. maybe even wait 5 minutes. remove sim cards.

turn on new iPad air 2
wait for it to power on and say no sim
insert old sim

that should work
if it doesn't maybe contact AT&T and ask them to update the sim cards??

does the new iPad air 2 have a wifi connection?? it might need to download a profile from wifi ???

i saw my iPhone 6 plus downloading profiles when i switched sims around

from my testing , iOS devices need to power on with no sim card , and then you install the sim , to update
the sim card to do its sim card stuff. I've tried turning the iPad and iPhone off and on with the sim card inside
and it just doesn't seem to do anything

like when i switch the sim cards i won't get certain features, like tethering, VoLTE , or Virtual Voice Mail
until i did that sim card dance. it seemed to magically restore stuff, where just inserting the sim and powering up didnt work

plus i read somewhere on verizon that if you do this on an iPad or an iPhone it will update the sim card's tower tables.

Thanks for the help. I thought I'd have to wait until tomorrow, but I ended up chatting with ATT. According to the rep if I went from mini to mini it would work, but since I went from mini to air she had to change something on my plan. Took just a few minutes and she had it working. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.