Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
CA
Hi everyone. I'm still on JB iOS 9.02 on my iPad Air 2 but want to update. 10.2 is out but I read it has patched exploits for possible new JB. Can I update directly to 10.1 or will I need to update to 10.2 then downgrade to 10.1 since its still being signed?

Please help what is the easiest method? TIA

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Hi everyone. I'm still on JB iOS 9.02 on my iPad Air 2 but want to update. 10.2 is out but I read it has patched exploits for possible new JB. Can I update directly to 10.1 or will I need to update to 10.2 then downgrade to 10.1 since its still being signed?

Please help what is the easiest method? TIA

directly go to 10.1.1.

Reactions: doxielover

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Thanks. The last version of 10.1? All versions are still being signed.

Yup, I've directly restored my (previously, 9.3.3) Air2 and iPhone5s to 10.1.1. No need to upgrade / restore to 10.2 first. (The latter is rumoured to be, JB-wise, lethal on iPhones.)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My iPad is Semi-untethered. Run fine. What's wrong with it?
My iPad is on the 8.1 jailbreak, fully untethered. My iPhone is on the 9.0.2 jailbreak. Again, fully untethered.

What's wrong with it is that semi-untethered would drive me NUTS!

I have an Activator action that reboots my phone every morning at 7:30am (except weekends). With the sem-untethered jailbreak that means I've got to rejailbreak at least ONCE every day except weekends.

Every time I want to restart - I'd have to rejailbreak.

Then you're dealing with certificates. Sorry, not wanting to use Cydia Eraser to recert every seven days. Then the issues that have been reported such as the Pangu app not rejailbreaking.

Want to get into Safe Mode? Have to be quick…

With my untethered jailbreak I can go to Safe Mode right at boot.

My situation is not everyone elses so this may work for you. But semi-untethered is not an option for me unless it becomes the ONLY option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Applejuiced

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
My iPad is on the 8.1 jailbreak, fully untethered. My iPhone on the 9.0.2 jailbreak. Again, fully untethered.

I have an Activator action that reboots my phone every morning at 7:30am (except weekends). With the sem-tethered jailbreak that means I've got to rejailbreak at least ONCE every day except weekends.

Then you're dealing with certificates. Sorry, not wanting to use Cydia Eraser to recert every seven days. Then the issues that have been reported such as the Pangu app not rejailbreaking.

My situation is not everyone elses so this may work for you. But semi-untethered is not an option for me unless it becomes the ONLY option.
yup. The exact reason i left the jailbreak scene after ios 9. I'm considering coming back with ios 10 but im not sure if i can deal with semi-anything

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Semi-untethered is better than nothing at all...but fully untethered rules over all.

Particularly since the add'l features since 9.0.2 JB are mostly minimal.

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
My iPad is on the 8.1 jailbreak, fully untethered. My iPhone is on the 9.0.2 jailbreak. Again, fully untethered.

I have an Activator action that reboots my phone every morning at 7:30am (except weekends). With the sem-untethered jailbreak that means I've got to rejailbreak at least ONCE every day except weekends.

Im with you on that.
Not sure if semi untethered would be worth it to me.
Way too much hassle and people randomly losing their jb and unable to rejailbreak it etc...

Reactions: eyoungren

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA

Wow. Ok. It's really a non issue for me.

What if it was in iOS 6? Lol. I bet you would run it.

Reactions: eyoungren

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
My cert was for a year and now you can get rid of that issue with Jailbreakme. I never really restart my phone. If I do all I need to do is respring it with the Pangu app.

I was on 9.0.2 JB and when 9.3.3 JB released I jumped on it. 9.3.3 has been more stable and so much more smoother than 9.0.2. Well at least for my iPad and 6S Plus at the time.

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
CA
Yup, I've directly restored my (previously, 9.3.3) Air2 and iPhone5s to 10.1.1. No need to upgrade / restore to 10.2 first. (The latter is rumoured to be, JB-wise, lethal on iPhones.)

How did you like 10.2 on your IPad? So JB will be tethered? What do you mean lethal on iPhones?

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
How did you like 10.2 on your IPad? So JB will be tethered? What do you mean lethal on iPhones?

Semi untethered. If you need to reboot your device in order for it to run in jailbreak mode you open a jailbreak app and run it. All it does is basically reprings your device in jailbreak mode.

Literally takes seconds.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Wow. Ok. It's really a non issue for me.

What if it was in iOS 6? Lol. I bet you would run it.
LOL. On my iPhone 6s+, sure! :D

I'm not trashing it, just saying that except in case where it's my only option, that it's not a preference.

Once a jailbreak drops, I generally tend to stick where I'm at unless some unforseen circumstance compels me to upgrade. There usually isn't anything in an Apple update that I want or that some tweak cannot eventually cover.

Hence I've been on this same jailbreak (9.0.2) since it dropped last October. I have been very fortunate that this particular iPhone of mine has been a damn good one so I haven't been forced to update.
[doublepost=1482202455][/doublepost]
My cert was for a year and now you can get rid of that issue with Jailbreakme. I never really restart my phone. If I do all I need to do is respring it with the Pangu app.

I was on 9.0.2 JB and when 9.3.3 JB released I jumped on it. 9.3.3 has been more stable and so much more smoother than 9.0.2. Well at least for my iPad and 6S Plus at the time.
That's kind of the odd thing for me.

Except for one spontaneous reboot a day after I first jailbroke I have had zero stability issues that weren't related to tweaks. And the reboot I suffered was because Activator hadn't been updated at that point. I have over 200 tweaks installed.

I reboot every morning though because I have noticed over time that if I do not, my set alarms trigger but do not sound. Rebooting tends to clear things out for some reason and my alarms go off so that's why I do that. I'm too lazy to remember to do it at the same time every day or even to do it if I do remember, so I just assigned it to Activator.

Everyone in the house depends on me getting up first. If I don't get up because my alarm does not sound everybody's got problems. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: HankHowdy

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
CA
Only thing I care about is movie box I think I can use that on 10.02 without JB right?

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
Only thing I care about is movie box I think I can use that on 10.02 without JB right?

I have no idea.

My iPad is jailbroken and I use CinemaBox. I have also used movie box, but CinemaBox has been much more stable. No downloads required and it just streams so well. Movie box tends to have server issues.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008

I use builds.io to use apps like movie box. It's $9.99 for the year but for me it's a small price to pay for what you get. I'm sure there are other ways to do it using Xcode but I didn't feel like messing around with that.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I use builds.io to use apps like movie box. It's $9.99 for the year but for me it's a small price to pay for what you get. I'm sure there are other ways to do it using Xcode but I didn't feel like messing around with that.

That installs an enterprise profile on your phone to be able to install the non-appstore apps right?

The idea of having a profile installed on my phone always scares me a bit. My mom has a company iPhone with a profile installed which, if they wanted to, lets IT people see almost everything she does on the phone (messaging, phone calls, browsing, GPS history, etc) :eek:

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
That installs an enterprise profile on your phone to be able to install the non-appstore apps right?

The idea of having a profile installed on my phone always scares me a bit. My mom has a company iPhone with a profile installed which, if they wanted to, lets IT people see almost everything she does on the phone (messaging, phone calls, browsing, GPS history, etc) :eek:

Yeah it does install a profile. I'm not too worried about it. I haven't heard about anything bad happening from someone using the service. But it is a bit of a risk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.