Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lucamassaro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2017
So about two years ago i bought the brand new iPad air 2. I used it for a few weeks and then forgot about it until now. Its still brand new and im planning to use it, only downside is the apps i would like to use (photoshop or vsco for example) require ios 9,10 or newer. With many people compaining online about ios 10 being laggy or slowing down their devices, this is my dilemma; Should i upgrade my brand new super fast air 2 from ios 8.4 to the latest ios 10, with the possibility that it will run slower in the future but being able to download all apps, or stay on the super fast 8.4 firmware and just use the compatible apps?

I'd like to hear your advice/opinion...
Thanks in advance

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
I've had air 2 since 11/2014, used every iOS that has been available for it. Havent seen any issues as far as being laggy or slowing down. In some ways, I think iOS 10.3.3 is smoothest yet.

To be honest, the thread below describes my only issue with iOS versions above iOS 8 but I've since adapted to it.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...responsiveness-due-to-input-blocking.1942001/

I havent tried iOS 11 betas but have heard that some of the input blocking may be "fixed".

Reactions: Lucamassaro

Lucamassaro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2017
I've had air 2 since 11/2014, used every iOS that has been available for it. Havent seen any issues as far as being laggy or slowing down. In some ways, I think iOS 10.3.3 is smoothest yet.

To be honest, the thread below describes my only issue with iOS versions above iOS 8 but I've since adapted to it.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...responsiveness-due-to-input-blocking.1942001/

I havent tried iOS 11 betas but have heard that some of the input blocking may be "fixed".
That's good to hear i was really afraid to update only to find out my iPad would just be laggy and slow, but after hearing your and others comments i think I'll update afterall. Thanks!

Reactions: ShaunAFC3 and Act3

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
So about two years ago i bought the brand new iPad air 2. I used it for a few weeks and then forgot about it until now. Its still brand new and im planning to use it, only downside is the apps i would like to use (photoshop or vsco for example) require ios 9,10 or newer. With many people compaining online about ios 10 being laggy or slowing down their devices, this is my dilemma; Should i upgrade my brand new super fast air 2 from ios 8.4 to the latest ios 10, with the possibility that it will run slower in the future but being able to download all apps, or stay on the super fast 8.4 firmware and just use the compatible apps?

Thanks in advance
I have an iPad Mini 4, which is similar to the Air 2 in a lot of ways but has a slower version of the CPU (A8 instead of A8X). It runs iOS 10 great with no issues whatsoever and I wouldn't hesitate upgrading at all. iOS 10 also comes with the benefit of split screen multi-tasking which was not available in iOS 8.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
I use iOS 10.3.3 on my Air 2, no significant lag compared to earlier versions. I know people seen some lag,but that's not the iOS,it's mostly caused by games or photo/video editing apps that use too much RAM. For normal photo editing,or light gaming,lag is not a problem.

Reactions: Lucamassaro

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona

Thanks in advance
I owned a Air 2 since 12/14 and have run every OS update & even the iOS 11 beta and it all ran fine while I had it. Never did I notice the iPad becoming slow.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
DO NOT. I repeat. DO NOT UPDATE IT TO IOS 10 from iOS 8 to 10. It will be substantially slower and laggy.
You should have your iPad looked at, you seem to have issues, and clearly by the response (just a sampling below), the majority of people have had no issues in upgrading.

iOS10 runs just fine on my iPad Air 2. Fast and without any issues.

No, that's alarmist. iOS 10 works fine on the Air 2.

I'm on 10.3.3 on my Air 2 and have seen no performance dropoff from earlier versions.

Thanks everyone for sharing their opinions, I upgraded to ios 10.3.3 and to be honest it's as fast as 8.4 if not faster. No lagging whatsoever!

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Thanks everyone for sharing their opinions, I upgraded to ios 10.3.3 and to be honest it's as fast as 8.4 if not faster. No lagging whatsoever!

So now that it has been a few days, how is it running for you? Still good ?

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
DO NOT. I repeat. DO NOT UPDATE IT TO IOS 10 from iOS 8 to 10. It will be substantially slower and laggy.

Are you one of those people that also record frame drop rates to see how „laggy“ animations are?

I have an iPad Air 2 and an iPad Pro 10.5 (those names are getting exhausting) on iOS 11 beta and they are both working great. The iPad Air 2 is like the iPad 2 back in the day. Thanks to its amount of RAM it remains a great investment for a few more generations i am sure

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.