Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yazounet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2014
Hello everyone.
7 months ago I bought myself an ipad mini 2 with 32 gb and cellular. And couldnt have been happier with my device. It is easy to carry. Easy to browse whereever I am. And I own an iphone 5s 32gb.
BUT!
As I am doing my Phd right now. I have lots of readings and taking notes. I am usually the kind of guy who loses papers, little notes taken in the class.. So I started taking notes on my ipad mini but it is a little bit small for taking notes.
AND!
As it is black friday very very soon. Bestbuy is offering 100$ off on all ipad air 2's. Do you guys think it's worth buying a 16gb wifi AIR2. For 399$.
I am still considering cellular. But yet it will be another 130$ to spend and meh I wanna save it for applewatch. But any help would be great.

Ps (about storage: no games, no video downloading just some ebooks to read inbetween classes, and taking notes)
Ps2 another websites offers 100$ off on ipad air 1 so it is practically 299$.

Thank you!

nStyle

macrumors 65832
Dec 6, 2009
I honestly think $297 for the Air 1 that Walmart is having is the best deal ($100 g/c but it's Walmart - it will get spent regardless). This is the first iPad generation I'll be skipping. I mean are you really going to need the extra power to take notes? Be realistic.

yazounet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2014
Well, I actually looked up on samsclub and I need to be a member which costs 45$ more so instead of becoming a member I can use the other 55$ more and buy myself a brandnew ipad air2 instead of a lame membership right?

yazounet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2014
Right now I own ipad mini 2 and I only use 11 gb 4gb for music and photo only. So I suppose 16gb is a good one for just notes and textbooks.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
Right now I own ipad mini 2 and I only use 11 gb 4gb for music and photo only. So I suppose 16gb is a good one for just notes and textbooks.

if you need some in that takes nots i think the samsung note 10.1 2014 tablet will be better for OP has it has the S pine for wirting notes and other fun stuff that he is going too do

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
Hello everyone.
7 months ago I bought myself an ipad mini 2 with 32 gb and cellular. And couldnt have been happier with my device. It is easy to carry. Easy to browse whereever I am. And I own an iphone 5s 32gb.
BUT!
As I am doing my Phd right now. I have lots of readings and taking notes. I am usually the kind of guy who loses papers, little notes taken in the class.. So I started taking notes on my ipad mini but it is a little bit small for taking notes.
AND!
As it is black friday very very soon. Bestbuy is offering 100$ off on all ipad air 2's. Do you guys think it's worth buying a 16gb wifi AIR2. For 399$.
I am still considering cellular. But yet it will be another 130$ to spend and meh I wanna save it for applewatch. But any help would be great.

Ps (about storage: no games, no video downloading just some ebooks to read inbetween classes, and taking notes)
Ps2 another websites offers 100$ off on ipad air 1 so it is practically 299$.

Thank you!

I had the same Mini 2 32GB celular model, but mine was purchased when I had the 4S (ie only 3G, so a wifi only iPad wasn't a great option for use via personal hotspot when no wifi source available). But since you have a 5S (4g), I'd consider getting a wifi only iPad and connect via hotspot when you need to. I now have the iPad 1 (wifi only) and 6 plus iPhone and don't miss cellular iPad at all (personal hotspot works great when I need it). But I don't need celular on my iPad often!

The difference between the Air and Air 2 is down to $75 - $100 depending on the deal. So not a lot. If you plan on keeping the iPad for longer than 1 year, I'd suggest the Air 2.

Me, I chose to go with a new Air 1 instead of instead of the Air 2 as the deals on the Air 1 are great, it's still a fantastic device, will work perfectly well for my needs for the next year and I plan to sell it in a year and upgrade to Air 3 (ie so won't take a big hit at these heavily discounted prices).

16Gb is very limiting! If you go for the Air 1, the difference between 16 & 32 GB is only about $50. Why not give yourself a bit of headroom? Who knows, you might just want to catch an episode of "Two and a half Men" one day instead of listening to one of your Phd lectures ;--)

Last edited:

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I bought the iPad Air when it first came out and I'm not the kind of guy who needs the latest greatest. I had an iPad 2 prior to the Air. With that said when I heard the iPad Air 2 had 2GBs of RAM I decided to upgrade and boy am I glad I did.

Now that I've been using it exclusively for two weeks I can say without reservation that iPad Air 2 is a solid upgrade over the original Air. I also firmly believe that it will last twice as long as the iPad Air, especially given the news about the processor that was published yesterday.

I also believe that Apple is preparing something for iOS 9 that will only be available on the iPad Air 2 and up. And even if they aren't I believe the Air 2 will be like the iPad 2: it will run long and strong with the updated hardware.

Also I know this is going to sound strange but for some reason the iPad Air 2 feels more solid than the Air 1. Possibly because the screen doesn't sound like plastic when you tap on it while typing or harder when playing games.

As far as 16GBs I would steer clear of that model. It's a terrible value proposition. For $100 more you're getting 4x storage capacity. Clearly Apple left it at 16GBs strictly because of greed but regardless of their reason buying the 16GB is like buying a four door sedan with only two front bucket seats and a twelve inch trunk. And as someone else mentioned, that 16GBs goes fast especially if you don't stream music or want to load or even make a few videos.

Some of the more powerful games are 1-2 GBs and even the iWork suite of apps are around 900MBs each.

Good luck with whatever you choose. If you still want an iPad Air 1 look in the marketplace here. I'm selling a 64GB model. Make me an offer I can't refuse:cool:

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
16GB? That is a major mistake you have made...Bad decision! 16GB is not your future investment. What will you do in 2 or 3 years? You will be MAD for sure. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.