Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suijkerwerk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2013
Hi,

So I brought my iPad Air 2019 back to the shop because of the infamous white spot issue (near the home button). After receiving a new one, I noticed the same problem. That's why I got my money back.

Now my question is: Are there iPad Air 2019 users who don't have this issue after using them for a long time?

Or is this a common thing with this generation which you should accept, or not?

I'm in doubt if I should buy a new one or wait untill a new iPad Air...

Any help is appreciated!

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Ive had mine for a few weeks (brought it just before the UK lockdown) and no white spot so far thankfully. I did read up about this issue beforehand though. If it starts manifesting then i will just get it replaced each time it happens. Apart from this potential issue though, the Ipad Air 2019 is a stunning device and i love it.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I want to check my mature iPad Air 2, just out of curiosity, so could someone give me the steps to replicate it/see it better? Thank you!

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I want to check my mature iPad Air 2, just out of curiosity, so could someone give me the steps to replicate it/see it better? Thank you!
There are no issues with the air 2, this is just a issue of the 10.5in devices...

Archer1778

macrumors member
May 1, 2017
Charlotte
Found this issue on my iPad Air 3, bought last year when announced... got in touch with Apple repair on Saturday, they are having me send it in, 4-6 week return time! But completely understandable, crazy that the spot just shows up about 1” from the home button, once you see it can’t unsee it
Repair said they will repair the screen? But I thought they don’t repair iPads?

TheBluePengu

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2020
I replaced mine twice and still there is a white spot right above the home button. I am seriously tired. I’ll replace this one after the lockdown.

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
I’ve had my Air 3 since November, I use it at least 5-6 days a week for hours at a time. I don’t have a white spot issue, at least so far.

TheBluePengu

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2020
I replaced mine yesterday. It was new, not refurbished (because of the consumer law in Turkey) and it was manufactured a month ago. And unfortunately, developed another white spot like the other ones. It is very slight and hard to notice but it’s there and it’s seriously annoying. I think this problem is common but most of the consumer didn’t notice yet. Or I am extremely unlucky. ?

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Like any other defect, some have it, most probably don’t. I don’t think that fear of it is a good reason to avoid buying it if you want it. That’s what warranties are for. If you get a defective unit, replace it.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I’ve had my Air 3 since November, I use it at least 5-6 days a week for hours at a time. I don’t have a white spot issue, at least so far.
Same. Could be certain types of usage trigger or exacerbate the issue.

For example, I don't do anything CPU or GPU demanding, my screen brightness is typically between 0-20%, and I use a 12W charger instead of 30W charging. That cuts down on heat.
[automerge]1586509795[/automerge]
Like any other defect, some have it, most probably don’t. I don’t think that fear of it is a good reason to avoid buying it if you want it. That’s what warranties are for. If you get a defective unit, replace it.
True but warranties end after 1 year. After that, repairs are $379 for Air 3 and $449 for Pro 10.5. Users shouldn't have to pay that or buy AppleCare+ to cover a manufacturing defect.

Last edited:

Rylior

macrumors member
May 27, 2019
Im not using mine very often. If i do i only watch videos and surf internet. I dont use apple pencil and charge it overnight with iphone charger. Bright spot appeared above home button anyway.It isnt that much distracting at the moment but i worry that it will become bigger and whiter like in pro 10.5. I have it since june, when i had my first unit replaced becouse of little white mark/white spot in a corner of the screen which was there from the beginning

Last edited:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
As with any Apple device, once anecdotal data reaches a certain level, it becomes reasonable to conclude that there's a manufacturing defect. When it comes to 10.5" iPads, we've reached that level.

This doesn't mean every unit will suffer from this issue... but it does seem like there is a good chance of it happening.

For those who disagree, I am unable to recall a time when there was this level of reports only to find out that it was user error/caused. If you have some examples, I'd be interested to hear about them.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
I think a lot more people have the white spots but just don’t think anything of it. People on these forums are the ones big into tech and notice these things. I personally think it’s unexceptable to live with a device with white spots you paid hundreds of dollars for.

Rylior

macrumors member
May 27, 2019
I think a lot more people have the white spots but just don’t think anything of it. People on these forums are the ones big into tech and notice these things. I personally think it’s unexceptable to live with a device with white spots you paid hundreds of dollars for.
Thats the point, there are many people for who this isnt a problem

Archer1778

macrumors member
May 1, 2017
Charlotte
I had this issue with my iPad Air, sent it back for a replacement this week and the one Apple sent back to me had the exact same issue except worse! Totally some sort of hardware or design failure!
Now going to send the replacement back for another replacement.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
True but warranties end after 1 year. After that, repairs are $379 for Air 3 and $449 for Pro 10.5. Users shouldn't have to pay that or buy AppleCare+ to cover a manufacturing defect.

That’s a fair point. I guess I didn’t look at it that way because I usually get AC+ regardless, so I’m used to having 2 full years of coverage and I figure that any problems that are going to happen are probably going to happen in that time.

But I still stand by what I said because ultimately it comes down to avoiding something you want over fear of what MIGHT be. The internet often gives a very inaccurate sense of how prevalent such problems are because you hear more from the people who do have the problem than the millions who don’t. And I say that as someone whose Air 3 actually does have a small but barely noticeable white spot. I haven’t even bothered to get it replaced though.

sporez

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
Nashville
I got a really good deal on an air 3 a couple weeks ago but it has a small bright white spot already. I’m really thinking I don’t want to have to keep dealing with this issue and may end up going with a refurb 2018 11” pro instead. It sounds like even if I were to swap it out the spot usually happens again eventually.

HappyIntro

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2016
My iPhone Xr has developed a small white spot, and my work-issued Lenovo X1 Carbon has a large white spot (size of a dime) on its panel as well. It seems that iPad Air has a greater than average rate of this defect...I was thinking of getting one as a gift for my Mom, but maybe I'll look at alternatives now.

suijkerwerk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2013
Thanks for all your replies. Still not sure what to do though. My replacement had the same issue out of the box. And before that I went through 2 or 3 iPads with other issues (dust under the screen for example).

And believe it or not: I literally went to the Apple Store in Amsterdam because I was expecting issues when buying an iPhone XS. That way I could swap it immediately. I'm not kidding if I tell you the 5th iPhone XS I tried had no issues. The others all did. Glue, dust, dead pixels. It's crazy. And Apple should seriously look at its QC! It's badder than bad!

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Neither my nor my grandson’s Air 3 have the spot as of now. He’s had his about 9-10 months. I’ve had mine a couple months. Both get used daily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.