Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
So, I tried switching to an iPad Air 2022 for my main leisure/personal work computer and it didn’t work out. I’ve written about this here before, and tried to provide some objective discussion points (e.g. the small screen cannot ever be useful for serious work).

Before I sell-up I thought I’d try the iPadOS 16 beta. I’m especially interested in Stage Manager and also display scaling, which help make better use of the small screen size compared to a laptop.

Here’s what my thoughts are:
  • Display scaling: This is the feature I’d been hoping Apple would introduce. I was already setting the zoom level in Safari to 85% in order to see the “whole” desktop website. So how well does display scaling work on the iPad Air? It’s like the entire user interface is zoomed out to 85%! Simple as that. As such, everything is made smaller. Is this an issue? Well, you could argue that if you’re holding the iPad in your hands then it’s closer, so things being smaller ain’t so bad. In desktop mode, though, attached to a Magic Keyboard and with the iPad around 60cm/24in away from your eyes… Well, it works less well. But there are also switches in the Settings app to make launchpad icons bigger and, of course, you can set the text size to be bigger too. Doing all this makes for a weird hybrid where some things are small, but other things are their “normal” size. I don’t really like the hacky nature of this though and once again it reminds me too much of trying to get desktop Linux to work. Apple’s whole mantra is “it just works”. On the iPad it’s often “it just works after you’ve delved into things like accessibility settings”.
  • Stage Manager: My fundamental opinion is that you cannot do serious work on a screen smaller than 13in. You cannot multitask. Consuming media? Yes. Browsing websites? Just about. Anything else? Tricky. Has Apple changed my mind with Stage Manager? Almost. It’s ingenious how they’ve implemented it. It’s about as good as it’s going to get, and it’s very usable (when it doesn’t crash—this is more an alpha release than beta, Apple). But you‘re still working within the confines of a tiny screen that’s attempting to provide a desktop experience. I can’t see why, if you want that experience, you don’t just get a MacBook Air.
  • Summary: In my opinion (please do remember that), iPadOS 16 is several bounding leaps in the right direction. Well done, Apple. But it doesn’t change the fact that the iPad remains a solution trying to find a problem. There’s certain folks for whom the iPad makes 100% sense. Artists, for example. Young people at school or college who effectively want a big version of what they already have on their phones (and who have great eyesight, natch). But for the rest of us above the age of 19, trying to use it for our home and work lives? It’s just not earning its place in Apple’s lineup outside of people who just happen to love that form factor.

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
So, I tried switching to an iPad Air 2022 for my main leisure/personal work computer and it didn’t work out. I’ve written about this here before, and tried to provide some objective discussion points (e.g. the small screen cannot ever be useful for serious work).

Before I sell-up I thought I’d try the iPadOS 16 beta. I’m especially interested in Stage Manager and also display scaling, which help make better use of the small screen size compared to a laptop.

Here’s what my thoughts are:
  • Display scaling: This is the feature I’d been hoping Apple would introduce. I was already setting the zoom level in Safari to 85% in order to see the “whole” desktop website. So how well does display scaling work on the iPad Air? It’s like the entire user interface is zoomed out to 85%! Simple as that. As such, everything is made smaller. Is this an issue? Well, you could argue that if you’re holding the iPad in your hands then it’s closer, so things being smaller ain’t so bad. In desktop mode, though, attached to a Magic Keyboard and with the iPad around 60cm/24in away from your eyes… Well, it works less well. But there are also switches in the Settings app to make launchpad icons bigger and, of course, you can set the text size to be bigger too. Doing all this makes for a weird hybrid where some things are small, but other things are their “normal” size. I don’t really like the hacky nature of this though and once again it reminds me too much of trying to get desktop Linux to work. Apple’s whole mantra is “it just works”. On the iPad it’s often “it just works after you’ve delved into things like accessibility settings”.
  • Stage Manager: My fundamental opinion is that you cannot do serious work on a screen smaller than 13in. You cannot multitask. Consuming media? Yes. Browsing websites? Just about. Anything else? Tricky. Has Apple changed my mind with Stage Manager? Almost. It’s ingenious how they’ve implemented it. It’s about as good as it’s going to get, and it’s very usable (when it doesn’t crash—this is more an alpha release than beta, Apple). But you‘re still working within the confines of a tiny screen that’s attempting to provide a desktop experience. I can’t see why, if you want that experience, you don’t just get a MacBook Air.
  • Summary: In my opinion (please do remember that), iPadOS 16 is several bounding leaps in the right direction. Well done, Apple. But it doesn’t change the fact that the iPad remains a solution trying to find a problem. There’s certain folks for whom the iPad makes 100% sense. Artists, for example. Young people at school or college who effectively want a big version of what they already have on their phones (and who have great eyesight, natch). But for the rest of us above the age of 19, trying to use it for our home and work lives? It’s just not earning its place in Apple’s lineup outside of people who just happen to love that form factor.
I appreciate your detailed thoughts, however I disagree that the size of the screen is that much of an issue. I think it’s a matter of preference. Your conclusions: “My fundamental opinion is that you cannot do serious work on a screen smaller than 13in. You cannot multitask. Consuming media? Yes. Browsing websites? Just about. Anything else? Tricky” are not true for everyone. Of course I cannot speak for most Air 5 users, but I’ve found the opposite to be true - it is quite capable for website maintenance, research, spreadsheet creation, word processing and organizing notes, etc. Additionally, the small size of the setup is ideal for taking the device on research trips. There’s nothing my PC was able to do that my Air cannot do better. The caveat is that everyone’s computer needs are different, and I’m sure there are people for whom the Air would be a step down, nevertheless to dismiss this little monster of a device based solely on screen size - well, a person that does that might be missing out.

I’ll add that I’m almost 70 and use reading glasses lol - - - -

ArchebaldDiv.

Suspended
Jun 13, 2022
I dont understand why this guy wont just buy a big external display?? It works perfectly smoooth on my 24" + iPad effectively becomes a desktop - so its an amazing experience... I also have 11" since its perfect to carry...

Seems like a lot of made up excuses... You can - if you want to...

Reactions: perezr10

ArchebaldDiv.

Suspended
Jun 13, 2022
ps. I am above 19 (almost 40 actually) and iPad is my perfect computer I also use it with display scaling set to more space, and its sweet sort of like a mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.