Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I see! Something happened a bit ago that I have never seen before on my prev device. It said that my device stopped charging due to heat. I don’t check my bat in the battery center daily so idk if that ever happened on my old one

That safety feature has been there for a long time. I’ve experienced many hot SoCal summers with broken AC so I’ve seen that message every now and then.

Remove the iPad from the case if there’s any and charge it vertically (e.g. on a stand) so it gets more airflow.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Was your air 4 better on battery when it very first came out? I have heard the thinner these iPads have gotten that overall life hasn’t been as good.
I would say it was about equal or slightly worse than my Air 3. I think its more to do with the A14 chip being so powerful and needing more juice, although being a 5nm chip you would have thought it would be more efficient. Apart from this both of these ipads are really great to use though, air 3 for couch surfing and Air 4 literally as a laptop replacement.

Fishels

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2015
Quick question about stand by time. Let’s say I charge my ipad up to 100 at midnight. And then I take it off the charger. If I start using the device at 11 am obviously it has been in standby not charging, but does this mean the battery will drop more quickly since it has been in standbys for 11 hours?

Just checking as I think my battery trouble is actually fixed guys. I have gone from getting like 6 hours back to 10 the past few days. But only directly off charger. I think maybe the device was still doing stuff in the background

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Quick question about stand by time. Let’s say I charge my ipad up to 100 at midnight. And then I take it off the charger. If I start using the device at 11 am obviously it has been in standby not charging, but does this mean the battery will drop more quickly since it has been in standbys for 11 hours?

Just checking as I think my battery trouble is actually fixed guys. I have gone from getting like 6 hours back to 10 the past few days. But only directly off charger. I think maybe the device was still doing stuff in the background
In my experience, if it doesn’t drop on standby by itself (like, maybe it has 100% at midnight and 99% at 11 am), it will drop faster initially, maybe dropping to 99% after 20 minutes or so.

This is the same when it doesn’t have 100%. Say it has 90%, sometimes it will drop to, say, 87% overnight, but sometimes it will still say 90%. When you start using it though, it will drop to 87% within a couple of minutes.

Reactions: Fishels

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019

Apple does not count going from 100% to 99% as 1% but more as 5-6%. So think about it this way. 100% is 105% actually. So it will take much longer to go from 100 to 99% than from 99% to 98%.
So if you leave it in stand-by, it may still indicate 100% in the morning but that 100% is no longer the same as what it was the night before...
Having said that, while it's definitely better to unplug it, batteries don't like to stay long periods at high voltage (close to full), so it would be better to charge it in the morning or during the day rather than before going to bed. But it's a matter of convenience and some people can find the trade-off worth some degree of battery health, as long as they are aware of it....

Reactions: Fishels

Fishels

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2015
Apple does not count going from 100% to 99% as 1% but more as 5-6%. So think about it this way. 100% is 105% actually. So it will take much longer to go from 100 to 99% than from 99% to 98%.
So if you leave it in stand-by, it may still indicate 100% in the morning but that 100% is no longer the same as what it was the night before...
Having said that, while it's definitely better to unplug it, batteries don't like to stay long periods at high voltage (close to full), so it would be better to charge it in the morning or during the day rather than before going to bed. But it's a matter of convenience and some people can find the trade-off worth some degree of battery health, as long as they are aware of it....
Thanks and great news! I ended up getting a replacement for the device (unrelated issue) and my battery is back to normal! Maybe even better. I legitimately have ten hours of use right now and still at 30%. Which I consider to be amazing. Apple ran a test on the other one and found no battery issues but perhaps it was a software bug? It was crashing a ton randomly.

Feel free to theorize on why it changed but I’m over the moon about Apple making things right and I’m really satisfied. My next tablet when this one gives out will be an iPad unless I go broke

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.