Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hello, I just upgraded to an iPad Air 4 from an Air 2. Something else (beside the quasi non existent camera shutter sound), is surprising to me. I put the 2 screens (air 2 - Air 4) side by side with same settings and I noticed the Air 2 have punchier colours and much warmer tone that makes let's say the red in the YT logo very red compared to the Air 4. My eyes? The settings? Two different screen technologies? Or maybe a defective screen? I noticed the definition of the Air 4 is better than Air 2 though. Heard or seen that before?

Thanks million times.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Just to confirm, TrueTone is off?

Mind, LCD panels tend to vary even within the same model.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yes. Does your question imply I should try to turn it off?

Yes. Since the Air 2 doesn’t have TrueTone, the Air 4 should have TrueTone disabled for a fair comparison. Can’t remember if that’s in Display settings or in Accessibility settings so figured I should ask to confirm.

Mind, I do believe the Air 4 has a wider color gamut compared to the Air 2. I remember seeing a similar complaint as yours regarding iPad 9th gen vs Air. Possibly HDR content not displaying properly on the Air?

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hi again, I tried all I could think of and my conclusion is the Air 4 has a more dull screen. As soon as I start my air 2 and place both side by side, the difference is stunning l it’ as if the saturation was turned down a notch on the 4 . Will bring the thing to Apple Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.