Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2020
So I picked up the iPad Air 4th gen on sale for $470 USD (In Canada). I have bought a couple in the past and both had terrible light bleed. This one is perfect in that regard but the power/touch ID button seems slightly loose.
So would you return? Did yours have this issue?
Thanks a lot.

Reactions: Gezellig

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
The TouchID/power button on the mini 6 is kinda loose/rattley too. I assume they use the same component. The power button on older iPads don’t have that kind of play.

Reactions: Six0Four

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
So I picked up the iPad Air 4th gen on sale for $470 USD (In Canada). I have bought a couple in the past and both had terrible light bleed. This one is perfect in that regard but the power/touch ID button seems slightly loose.
So would you return? Did yours have this issue?
Thanks a lot.
The button on my 4th gen Air was a little loose too. I wouldn't be concerned about it at all.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
My Mini 6 didn’t rattle but now does, so if I bought an Air that had a rattle I would consider returning it. However I can also understand why you’d choose not to, given the issues with other units. My Mini has very little jelly (the main issue with that device where light bleed seemed to be the Air 4’s) and I’d take the rattle over it, so am hesitant to get it swapped under warranty as I’d have no right to anything if I did get one with much worse jelly (a non-issue according to Apple.) AC+ will cover it if it ever affects the functioning of the device. Do you have AC+?

mikedude86

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
I’ve had an Air 4, a mini 6 and currently have an Air 5. They all have had a little wiggle, maybe I’m rougher than normal on my touch ID buttons but it’s never really bothered me.

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2020
My Mini 6 didn’t rattle but now does, so if I bought an Air that had a rattle I would consider returning it. However I can also understand why you’d choose not to, given the issues with other units. My Mini has very little jelly (the main issue with that device where light bleed seemed to be the Air 4’s) and I’d take the rattle over it, so am hesitant to get it swapped under warranty as I’d have no right to anything if I did get one with much worse jelly (a non-issue according to Apple.) AC+ will cover it if it ever affects the functioning of the device. Do you have AC+?

Nah no Apple care. I was just so happy to have a perfect screen that I'm trying to forget about it and convince myself it's not that big a deal. Although I did buy it at Walmart so I do have 45 days to return it...

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Nah no Apple care. I was just so happy to have a perfect screen that I'm trying to forget about it and convince myself it's not that big a deal. Although I did buy it at Walmart so I do have 45 days to return it...

Maybe add the monthly Apple Care so if it worsens, or becomes an issue, you would be able to get it replaced. It’s only $4 or 5/month.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
For now..hehe **wiggles Touch ID button**

c1bbf56c-447c-4450-aa08-f1f63303f028-910x520-01.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: darngooddesign

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I can’t help thinking that Apple use the cheapest components they can find. The loose, rattling buttons that are so prevalent on iPhones and iPads really lend a cheap feeling to an otherwse premium device.

Gezellig

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2022
Just returned a brand new iPad Air 6 13inch. Loose, wiggling TouchID button. So much so that it was a bit strange, even just manipulating the iPad. It was working alright. That’s a first for me!

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Maybe add the monthly Apple Care so if it worsens, or becomes an issue, you would be able to get it replaced. It’s only $4 or 5/month.
Huh, Apple making the buttons a bit loose to upsell Apple Care+? ;)

Seriously, that reasoning is insane. If you think it might become a problem, exchange it, don’t pay up to Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.