Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rainman1915

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2020
I am looking at getting a new iPad, just wondering if there is a big difference from the 4th generation with the A14 chip vs the 5th with the M1. I can get a 4th generation refurbished from the Apple Store for $759 for 256GB. The new 5th 256GB is $949. Is the extra money worth it. Using it for internet, streaming movies, apps and some games.

Thanks

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
The big difference is double the RAM, which will reduce apps and tabs reloads significantly and will also give you access to Stage Manager, full external display support and Memory Swap (which should further improve RAM management). Plus the CPU/GPU speed increase, but you will only see this in games and some pro apps, not much elsewhere...

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The big difference is double the RAM, which will reduce apps and tabs reloads significantly and will also give you access to Stage Manager, full external display support and Memory Swap (which should further improve RAM management). Plus the CPU/GPU speed increase, but you will only see this in games and some pro apps, not much elsewhere...

I've noticed shorter boot time and firmware and app install times on the M1 vs Air 4.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I've noticed shorter boot time and firmware and app install times on the M1 vs Air 4.
Yeah I guess that's where multicore (and storage speed) helps, but personally I never turn off my iPads so it's not something that I pay attention to...

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
I am looking at getting a new iPad, just wondering if there is a big difference from the 4th generation with the A14 chip vs the 5th with the M1. I can get a 4th generation refurbished from the Apple Store for $759 for 256GB. The new 5th 256GB is $949. Is the extra money worth it. Using it for internet, streaming movies, apps and some games.

Thanks
For streaming they should be equal. For the internet the M1 should be a little bit faster but nothing you would notice. I guess it all comes down to what type of games and apps you use. Amazon has the current Air 5 with the M1 chip and 256 gb for 668 dollars, I think that’s the answer because of the price, I would act fast.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
For streaming they should be equal. For the internet the M1 should be a little bit faster but nothing you would notice. I guess it all comes down to what type of games and apps you use. Amazon has the current Air 5 with the M1 chip and 256 gb for 668 dollars, I think that’s the answer because of the price, I would act fast.
I think there is a tendency to focus too much on just the "speed" component and forget the rest. If they gave me A14 with 8GB RAM or M1 with 4GB RAM, I'd take the first without hesitation.... And it would be a better experience overall....

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
It depends. For the kind of thing you can do on an iPad just with the tablet and no magic keyboard or other mouse/kb plugged in, it will make virtually no difference.

But it is worth noting that the standard is changing. iPad Airs and iPad Pros going forward will at least have the M1 chip, which is a desktop class SoC, and a version of iPadOS (16) that lets apps use virtual memory for the very first time, as well as allowing floating windows and external display support of up to 8 apps running side by side.

The M1 isn't just an A14 with more cores - having a chip that has Mac-class storage and Mac-class RAM and an OS that does virtual memory is a landmark, and as we go forward, the apps will get more and more complicated and memory hungry, and those on the A-series chips won't be able to run them side by side or as well.

As I said, when you're just holding the iPad and using it, there will be almost no difference. But if you're planning to keep the device for 3-4 years, being stuck on an A-series chip in 2025 might not be worth the small money saving back in 2022.

As the iPad becomes more like the Mac with each passing year, ask yourself this: when is the last time Apple sold a Mac with only 4GB of RAM?

Rainman1915

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2020
Thanks for all your input, I am going to pick up the Generation 5, I will keep it for at least 5 years so spending the extra money will be worth it.

Thanks again, always uncertain when spending so much on technology when it changes so fast.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Thanks for all your input, I am going to pick up the Generation 5, I will keep it for at least 5 years so spending the extra money will be worth it.

Thanks again, always uncertain when spending so much on technology when it changes so fast.
Definitely the right choice. Its one of the bigger generation upgrades in terms of future proofing. 8 core cpu, 8 core gpu and 8gb of ram. SSD speeds are most likely quicker as well. Its definitely faster as well overall, but the big sell for it is all that ram and the extra cores.

Reactions: Rainman1915
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.