Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
OK, so there is nothing preventing using all the same features in Stage Manager in 64GB version Air 5 as in the ones with larger 256GB versions which have Disk Swap support, besides reloading more often? Is there any chance this might change once the iPadOS 16 is officially released? I mean it was not just teaser feature in Beta versions so that developers could test it?

I'm really happy with my Air 5 64GB but if there are going to be some features left off already this fall, I may want to rethink getting an iPad Pro 11" but that also gives me some second thoughts as that is already pretty old model and likely to get upgraded this fall...
no, zero chances of any change there, Stage Manager will work fully, Disk Swap is not a condition for Stage Manager, more for RAM hungry apps to access more RAM. Disk swap means that a portion of the SSD will be used as RAM so that would be bad for the 64, since it would reduce the available storage and wear out the disk more quickly (as happens in Macs). So the minimum is 128 for swap

Reactions: rui no onna

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Since new iPadOS release date is coming soon, it would be interesting to hear if someone testing the latest beta versions have noticed any issues or limitations with Air 5 64GB vs 256GB models or Pro 11" in Stage Manager?

Nickjames

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2020
of course you can, honestly this thread should just be deleted as it's misleading and based on a misunderstanding
I thought it was gonna be some software limitation. But can anyone really confirm that it won't be any differences since the official release is not out yet? I have an M1 MacBook that I'm gonna sell because I have the same computer as my work computer. I just want the iPad for stuff like pages and Teams and I'm planning on hooking it up to my studio display

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I thought it was gonna be some software limitation. But can anyone really confirm that it won't be any differences since the official release is not out yet? I have an M1 MacBook that I'm gonna sell because I have the same computer as my work computer. I just want the iPad for stuff like pages and Teams and I'm planning on hooking it up to my studio display
There is nothing to confirm, it's official, from Apple. Again, this thread was made based on the confusion between stage manager and virtual memory swap. The 64GB air 5 won't support swap, but these are 2 completely different things. Virtual memory swap is not a condition for Stage Manager. End of the story.

Reactions: Nickjames

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
There is nothing to confirm, it's official, from Apple. Again, this thread was made based on the confusion between stage manager and virtual memory swap. The 64GB air 5 won't support swap, but these are 2 completely different things. Virtual memory swap is not a condition for Stage Manager. End of the story.
Thanks for clarifying this. From reading Apple specs I also got impressions Stage Manager and Virtual Memory Swap are two different things but seeing this thread was confusing.

Regarding missing Virtual Memory Swap not supported in Air 5 64GB, where does lack of that show in real life? I would think 8GB RAM would go a long way in iPad until it run out. Is it just less or no reloading app or browser tabs when swapping between those?

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
Thanks for clarifying this. From reading Apple specs I also got impressions Stage Manager and Virtual Memory Swap are two different things but seeing this thread was confusing.

Regarding missing Virtual Memory Swap not supported in Air 5 64GB, where does lack of that show in real life? I would think 8GB RAM would go a long way in iPad until it run out. Is it just less or no reloading app or browser tabs when swapping between those?
It isn’t going to show in real life - yet.

Bringing virtual memory swap to iPadOS M1 is something that will be utilised years down the line for select workloads. It’s there for app developers to build more powerful iPadOS apps (video editing, photo editing, higher-end gaming perhaps) that will be able to take advantage of larger amounts of RAM while maintaining stability.

If you are using your Air to do the same stuff as you’re using it for now it won’t make any difference to you.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
If you are using your Air to do the same stuff as you’re using it for now it won’t make any difference to you.
That’s about what I figured as Air 5 64GB feels so fast and no lag anywhere. Being used to older iPads with only 2 or 3GB RAM and even those hardly ever lagging made we think 8GB RAM in Air 5 is already plenty for a near future for my use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.