Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
Last week I picked up a new iPaid Air 5 to replace my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5. So far I’m enjoying the new device, but the experience is tempered by the case I picked up for it.

My 10.5 Pro had a Targus case that served well enough even as it aged. And it suited how I use my iPad. It was just a regular case with no holder for the Apple Pencil or any stylus, which was fine given I don’t use an Apple Pencil or stylus. It also wasn’t a keyboard case because I don’t use my iPad that way as a work station. As designed the case allowed easy access to charging port, volume controls and power button. The 10.5 Pro had a home button so access to that and the Touch ID was very easy and straightforward. I also very much like how that case folded to prop up the iPad for tabletop display or angled more shallowly for casual use.

The new Targus case shares some of the features of my older case—such as propping the iPad more upright for tabletop viewing or at a more shallow angle for more casual use. The charging port is easily accessible and the all-around fit easily allows for swiping gestures. But while the power button is easily accessible it doesn‘t work so well for Touch ID. Also because the case allows for storage of Apple Pencil, something I have zero interest in using, that interferes badly with using the volume controls which are on the same side. The cases’ “buttons” to depress the iPad‘s volume buttons require you to push (with your fingernail) with more than a little pressure to make them work.

Sadly every case I look at seems to be designed the same way—with storage for an Apple Pencil I will never use situation right beside the volume controls thus making them more difficult to use. The other design feature I dislike of many available cases is the requirement to fold the cover into a small triangle to prop up the iPad. I don’t find that at all stable and much prefer the simpler and more intuitive folding so the iPad’s bottom edge rests on the inside of the front cover to hold it up. Targus has that part right at least.

I’m feeling discouraged with the available cases I’m seeing out there so far.

Suggestions?

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
In my experience, watching a bunch of YouTube reviews that compare and contrast selections of iPad cases has been more helpful than forum comments or Amazon reviews. It’s the next best thing to buying one and trying it out at home.

NeonIbis

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2020
I'm afraid I don't have any good suggestions for the type of case you're after - I searched long and hard for one myself, as they seem more stable, I don't need/want a keyboard case, and I don't like the way the triangle-fold stands can transfer grime from surfaces to the iPad screen. But I ended up going with the apple case (the basic, non-keyboard one). It is a triangle-fold stand, but at least it works well, doesn't feel as cheap as many third-party options, and adds minimal bulk (with no pencil holder or obstruction of buttons). I use a sleeve when carrying it around for better protection. But I will be keeping an eye out for better options.

Reactions: Warped9

photocat2005

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2015
United States
I ran into the same issue when I picked up my IPP 11 a few weeks ago. I don't have a pen, nor will I get one. After much searching, reading, and YouTube watching I went with a Nomad Goods Folio Case and I absolutely LOVE it. Fortunately I made this decision in advance of Black Friday in the US and got one for 30% off. Even with that, still the most expensive case I've ever purchased (that said my previous cases were like $15) but worth every penny IMHO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.