Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
I’m looking for an iPad Air 5 case without pencil support like the old tri-fold magnetic sleep/wake ones you used to buy on Amazon.

Like this one but for the Air 5: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072JTYM6T

I want full coverage with a back shell and front cover that protects the corners and the edges. I‘ve dropped the Khomo and Jetech cases very many times and they have always absorbed the damage.

I never use a pencil, don’t like adding bulk for no reason, don’t like removing protection/sturdiness to accommodate the pencil.

jtptus

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2020
I am a bit late to the party, as usual. Take a look at the Otterbox Symmetry series. They are a bit pricey IMO but may check all your boxes.

Reactions: Andeddu and asleep

asleep

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
I ended up with a Moko Slim Trifold Stand Cover with Soft Frosted Back for $10.18

It's got a bit of heft to it, which isn't an issue for me. The front is standard tri-fold leatherette, the back is a thick-ish pliable TPU type material that covers all edges nicely. There's a slight indentation on the volume buttons side that's supposed to hold/charge a pencil but I don't use one and I like that that side it still fully covered.

The outside front and back have a little bit of tack to them, so if you toss your iPad onto a countertop it won't slip & slide all the way across and off onto the floor. My case for my 9th gen is similar in appearance to this Moko but hard and slippery on the front and back and that's been an issue.

Fit is snug all around out of the box but I imagine it might loosen up a bit in the center of a side, we'll see.

I never snapped to the idea that the power/touch ID would be lower right corner in this style case, it's not particularly annoying... yet. I'll post some pictures over the weekend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.