Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtptus

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2020
Don't see an iPad Air 5 shipping thread yet. Since I only jump onto the forums several times per year, I defer to the 'heavy hitters' to start it up. I did read today that due to a big spike in Covid cases in Shenzen, the PRC is locking down the place for one week. Essential workers (whomever they are) exempted. Everyone else has to stay home. That may delay Apple product processing and shipping.

• Wow
Reactions: Gudi

CVC

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2005
Southern California
Thanks for starting this, I was hoping for a shipping thread too. Considering that you can order one today and still get it on the 18th, I don’t think there are a lot of people ordering these. I am having my iPad engraved so it is scheduled to come on Tuesday the 22nd, but it says preparing for shipment so maybe will get here early (unless the lockdown stretches that out). Has anyone had their credit card charged yet? Mine hasn’t been.

jtptus

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2020
Still showing 'Processing'. iPad Air 5, Blue, 256GB, wifi only. Barring unforeseen hiccups, I don't expect to see 'Preparing to ship' for another day or so. Then, the process should move into high gear.

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Still showing 'Processing'. iPad Air 5, Blue, 256GB, wifi only. Barring unforeseen hiccups, I don't expect to see 'Preparing to ship' for another day or so. Then, the process should move into high gear.
Wonder if the covid lockdown happening in Shenzhen will affect shipping. Regardless, after using a S7 samsung tablet for a while (gave it a shot after giving my mom my ipad mini), I'm really looking forward to having an iPad again.

jtptus

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2020
Lacking other things to do now, I attempted to find where iPads are manufactured in China. It seems that Foxconn, the company that assembles the iPads from the multitude of sourced parts, has relocated at least some of iPad production to Chengdu, Sichuan province (i.e. not Shenzen). This shift started back in 2010 +/-. Current info is hard to find. Soooo...maybe the products will still deliver on time.

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Lacking other things to do now, I attempted to find where iPads are manufactured in China. It seems that Foxconn, the company that assembles the iPads from the multitude of sourced parts, has relocated at least some of iPad production to Chengdu, Sichuan province (i.e. not Shenzen). This shift started back in 2010 +/-. Current info is hard to find. Soooo...maybe the products will still deliver on time.
Been ages since I ordered and had something shipped from the Apple website. You maybe right that they don't go through Shenzhen to ship their products. Also wonder how many apple have stocked up in their warehouses around North America.

One thing I do know, just like all other previous apple shipments in the past, I keep on refreshing my order status.

BsComputers

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2020
So is mine. iPad Air 64GB Space Gray. Did they charge your card yet?

jtptus

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2020
No cc charge yet. Wait, wait, wait and refresh status on your order. If these products are already stateside in a warehouse, they will start moving later this week. If the starting point is Foxconn in Chengdu, Sichuan province, no lockdown yet that I can see. Could change. As noted in an earlier post, Shenzen is on a lockdown and that includes the Apple manufacturers. I am going to ignore this for 24 hours. Checking order progress is developing into a compulsive behavior for me.

BsComputers

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2020
No cc charge yet. Wait, wait, wait and refresh status on your order. If these products are already stateside in a warehouse, they will start moving later this week. If the starting point is Foxconn in Chengdu, Sichuan province, no lockdown yet that I can see. Could change. As noted in an earlier post, Shenzen is on a lockdown and that includes the Apple manufacturers. I am going to ignore this for 24 hours. Checking order progress is developing into a compulsive behavior for me.
Some people on Reddit have seen theirs start showing up in their UPS My Choice with scans from ZhengZhou as early as 2 days ago and scans from Incheon about 5-6 hours ago. Unsure if that's iPhones or iPads though.

BsComputers

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2020
Some people on Reddit have seen theirs start showing up in their UPS My Choice with scans from ZhengZhou as early as 2 days ago and scans from Incheon about 5-6 hours ago. Unsure if that's iPhones or iPads though.
Update: My card got charged about an hour ago and the status changed to preparing for shipping a few minutes later. Now it's time to play the waiting game of waiting for the tracking to show up on UPS My Choice.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Mine has been preparing to ship since yesterday i think. Still no tracking number available. 64gb blue.

sartorius

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2017
Preparing to ship for 3 days. Technically still a chance it arrives Friday if it ships tonight, otherwise probably next week :/

flexyneat

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
Mine's been in Preparing to ship since Monday. I had mine engraved, so the delivery date is Showing as March 22nd

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
Pretty sure Apple has been sitting on inventory since around the announcement. My Starlight 256GB has been at the preparing to ship status for a day or two. Still showing delivery date of March 18th via UPS.

Reactions: Ram65
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.