Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
As the title asks: Can I use a 1st gen Apple Pencil with a 5th Gen Apple iPad Air? I’m thinking of getting a 5th Gen Air and I currently have a 1st Gen Pencil. I know the interfaces are different but do they pair alright otherwise?

RaphaZ

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2021
As the title asks: Can I use a 1st gen Apple Pencil with a 5th Gen Apple iPad Air? I’m thinking of getting a 5th Gen Air and I currently have a 1st Gen Pencil. I know the interfaces are different but do they pair alright otherwise?
I don't think so!

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
you can but you need to download an app that removes Apple software lock, and you'll need the adapter that came eith the first gen pencil plus a lighting to USB C cable. If you have these accessories it will work (I have done it myself)

Reactions: RaphaZ

Bombastinator

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2024
Minnesota
If you want a gen2 Apple Pencil (I understand there are 3 models: the gen1, gen2 and USBC). I bought a used gen2 Apple Pencil with some sort of silicone thing on it used before I understood that I needed a more modern iPad and the thing wouldn’t work for me. As a result I would happily trade it for a gen1 in decent condition as apparently I can’t return it. The advantage of the gen2 over the gen1 is that it has a flat side (so it doesn’t roll off your desk all the time) which will stick magnetically to the side of an iPad it DOES work with and charge (so more handy) it is otherwise more-or-less the same though. If this interests you please feel free to PM me

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
If you want a gen2 Apple Pencil (I understand there are 3 models: the gen1, gen2 and USBC). I bought a used gen2 Apple Pencil with some sort of silicone thing on it used before I understood that I needed a more modern iPad and the thing wouldn’t work for me. As a result I would happily trade it for a gen1 in decent condition as apparently I can’t return it. The advantage of the gen2 over the gen1 is that it has a flat side (so it doesn’t roll off your desk all the time) which will stick magnetically to the side of an iPad it DOES work with and charge (so more handy) it is otherwise more-or-less the same though. If this interests you please feel free to PM me
Sorry, I just saw your post. Thanks for the offer - 'sounds like a good trade. However, I decided from the earlier responses that I’ll just forgo using a pencil since I don’t really need to draw nor write on the iPad if I do get one so I gave it to a neighbor who has an earlier iPad Air. I bought the pencil for my iPad Pro (which I've sold) just for the coolness but barely used it. :)

Reactions: PlayUltimate

Bombastinator

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2024
Minnesota
Well if you don’t need it you don’t need it. The one you have will work on your current I think iunless it’s USBC in which case you will need a USBC male to thunderbolt female adaptor to charge it. Amazon should have one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.