Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shannonmrussell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2018
I updated my iPhone and iPad Air to IOS 12 last night. This morning, my apps, like Instagram, are narrowed with black borders on each side. There is a double arrow sign present to expand or make the window smaller, but it no longer fills the screen. Any ide what happened, and how to fix it, please? I have searched all of my settings. If this were a desktop computer or laptop, I know about changing screen resolution, stretching, etc. What happened? Thank you

Attachments

• 12D8DC5F-9D31-45B1-B369-DFF6A3A8B63C.png
    12D8DC5F-9D31-45B1-B369-DFF6A3A8B63C.png
    728.6 KB · Views: 1,186

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I updated my iPhone and iPad Air to IOS 12 last night. This morning, my apps, like Instagram, are narrowed with black borders on each side. There is a double arrow sign present to expand or make the window smaller, but it no longer fills the screen. Any ide what happened, and how to fix it, please? I have searched all of my settings. If this were a desktop computer or laptop, I know about changing screen resolution, stretching, etc. What happened? Thank you
Seems like you are talking about iPhone apps on the iPad: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/full-screen-apps.2138828/

Reactions: tromboneaholic

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
When you say like Instagram, do you have any other examples?

If I recall correctly, Instagram doesn’t have an iPad app and hasn’t ever, or at least not for a while. The Instagram app is just the iPhone version of the app blown up to fill the iPad screen.

In iOS 12 I think the way this is done may have changed, which may explain why you think something has changed. It may be it used the older iPhone 4 era dimensions and now uses 16:9? Not sure.

You shouldn’t see this in any apps that have a dedicated iPad app.

Reactions: tromboneaholic

Steve28

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2011

This is intentional in iOS 12 when an iPad is running an iPhone-only app (like instagram). All of apple's phone now are 16:9 aspect ratio. In pre-iOS12, the iPad emulated a 3:4 aspect ratio screen (which was like the older phones), now the iPad emulates a 16:9 screen, which is like all of the recent phone models. This means developers no longer have to support the older phone screen formats.

In reality, you should actually be seeing more information now as you will get more vertical space. But if the black borders bother you, I'm afraid there's nothing that can be done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.