Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JOSE891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
Las Vegas
Does anybody know if TMobile's 5GB $30 PrePaid plan the one that has the Unlimited Text W/ 100 min would work with a iPad? I know I can't make calls and what not, I just wanted it for the data.

I read somewhere that TMobile recognizes what device your using even with Tablets by it's IMEI #, But only if the tablet/phone is from ATT/TMOBILE. And It would count as "Tethering".

So I was thinking about buying a Verizon iPad Air so they wont recognize me using a tablet and then signing up for a VPN service so I can bypass there User Agent Sniffer.

Do you think this would work?

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
I have a Verizon iPad Air and I use the $30/mo T-Mobile plan you're asking about.

When I put the SIM in the iPad I just kept getting redirected to T-Mobile's website.

I'm not sure a VPN would help because I don't think the VPN would be able to connect.

Strange thing is, in both cases the APN was fast.t-mobile.com. I activated a free 200MB/mo T-Mobile plan, it's also using fast.t-mobile.com but works fine.

Hopefully someone can figure out how to make it work.

JOSE891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
Las Vegas
I have a Verizon iPad Air and I use the $30/mo T-Mobile plan you're asking about.

When I put the SIM in the iPad I just kept getting redirected to T-Mobile's website.

I'm not sure a VPN would help because I don't think the VPN would be able to connect.

Strange thing is, in both cases the APN was fast.t-mobile.com. I activated a free 200MB/mo T-Mobile plan, it's also using fast.t-mobile.com but works fine.

Hopefully someone can figure out how to make it work.

I know it would be epic. Can you download Onavo or Hotspot shield from the App Store and try it out?, Those are free VPN services, there pretty safe and you can read there reviews if you don't believe me. I also understand if you'r not comfortable with that.

I want to buy a cellular iPad but I would only buy the Cellular model if I can use that plan otherwise I'd just get the wifi only model since I am not going to pay $50 for 5GB of web.

And a quick question, does your iPad's IMEI begin with 99 or 9900?

Also what does the message say? Is the one that says to Call Customer Care to enable mobile hotspot or something like that?

It might work with the VPN because it's giving you a data connection, if it just redirects you it sound's like it recognizing your iPads user agent when you access the web.

From what i've read they shouldn't be able to read your user agent while trying to connect to the VPN as that outgoing traffic would be encrypted.

Last edited:

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
I know it would be epic. Can you download Onavo or Hotspot shield from the App Store and try it out?, Those are free VPN services, there pretty safe and you can read there reviews if you don't believe me. I also understand if you'r not comfortable with that.

I want to buy a cellular iPad but I would only buy the Cellular model if I can use that plan otherwise I'd just get the wifi only model since I am not going to pay $50 for 5GB of web.

And a quick question, does your iPad's IMEI begin with 99 or 9900?

Also what does the message say? Is the one that says to Call Customer Care to enable mobile hotspot or something like that?

It might work with the VPN because it's giving you a data connection, if it just redirects you it sound's like it recognizing your iPads user agent when you access the web.

From what i've read they shouldn't be able to read your user agent while trying to connect to the VPN as that outgoing traffic would be encrypted.

I can give it a try at some point tomorrow. I'll also try my work VPN.

I could see it was going to T-Mobile's website but the site would never load so I'm not sure what message it would've had.

My iPad's IMEI begins with 35 as does its MEID.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
I gave it a try. Swapped my 200MB iPad SIM into my iPhone and my $30/mo iPhone SIM into my iPad.

In the web browser both always redirected to my.t-mobile.com. Neither actually ever loaded the website even though they showed 4G with full bars.

Neither could even see or connect to a VPN server. Didn't even get to the point where it asked for username and password.

T-Mobile must know the IMEIs of these devices even though my iPhone was originally AT&T and my iPad was originally Verizon.

JOSE891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
Las Vegas
I gave it a try. Swapped my 200MB iPad SIM into my iPhone and my $30/mo iPhone SIM into my iPad.

In the web browser both always redirected to my.t-mobile.com. Neither actually ever loaded the website even though they showed 4G with full bars.

Neither could even see or connect to a VPN server. Didn't even get to the point where it asked for username and password.

T-Mobile must know the IMEIs of these devices even though my iPhone was originally AT&T and my iPad was originally Verizon.

Wow that sucks :/. Thanks for the info.

I think your right about the IMEI thing. I didn't know T-Mobile could recognize devices from Verizon.

Verizon IMEI's usually begin with 9900, but thats only with phones.

I guess Hotspots and Tablet IMEI's begin with 35 and tmobile blocks those or something like that.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I think your right about the IMEI thing. I didn't know T-Mobile could recognize devices from Verizon.

Verizon IMEI's usually begin with 9900, but thats only with phones.

I guess Hotspots and Tablet IMEI's begin with 35 and tmobile blocks those or something like that.
Checked my Verizon iPad and it does start with 99. Still, no reason why T-Mobile couldn't get the IMEI range for a particular model.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
Googling around I've found that this appears to bea. Semi recent development.

A few months ago people were able to swap SIMs successfully with that plan.

May be a ramification of T-Mobile finally being an approved iPad seller.

Either way hopefully someone finds a work around eventually.

Last edited:

JOSE891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
Las Vegas
Googling around I've found that this appears to bea. Semi recent development.

A few months ago people were able to swap SIMs successfully win that plan.

May be a ramification of T-Mobile finally being an approved iPad seller.

Either way hopefully someone finds a work around eventually.

Yeah that's true maybe Apple Provided them an API to identify iPads on there network

JOSE891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
Las Vegas
I think i'm Just going to bite the Apple and buy a Cellular iPad Mini Retina and mess around with it.

Ill let you guys know if I get it working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.