Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Okay so I ordered an iPad Air with an Apple Pencil. I normally put a screen protector on everything and had one on my iPad mini. I’m wondering will a screen protector cause me problems using the Apple Pencil. I’m not an artist so we’re not talking about professional drawings but I plan on using it to take notes and some basic drawings.

vermilion_sky

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2021
I was using a paperlike screen protector and I'm now using a glass screen protector on my 2021 Pro. I'm using the pencil heavily and everything's fine. You don't have to worry!

Reactions: russell_314

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Okay so I ordered an iPad Air with an Apple Pencil. I normally put a screen protector on everything and had one on my iPad mini. I’m wondering will a screen protector cause me problems using the Apple Pencil. I’m not an artist so we’re not talking about professional drawings but I plan on using it to take notes and some basic drawings.
If you want to use an Apple Pencil with your iPad, it's best that you get a Paperlike screen protector.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I was using a paperlike screen protector and I'm now using a glass screen protector on my 2021 Pro. I'm using the pencil heavily and everything's fine. You don't have to worry!
I don't mean I'm worried about damaging the screen with the Apple Pencil but will the screen protector cause problems with how the pencil draws.

vermilion_sky

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2021
I don't mean I'm worried about damaging the screen with the Apple Pencil but will the screen protector cause problems with how the pencil draws.
When using matte, paperlike protectors: The screen will be blurry, the recognition of the pencil is excellent but the pencil tip will wear out extremely quick. I need an exchange tip after two days (!) of heavy use because of the paperlike protector.
Glass: No issues here. Pencil will be recognized perfectly, I don't see anything wrong here and I'm a heavy user. It just reflects more than when using the iPad without any protection.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
It makes the screen noticeably blurry or anything? I'm going to watch movies on it so if so not good.
Nope. It’s crystal clear. The paperlike screen prot3ctor make it blurry snd dull. For the clear esr type of protectors, it’s almost like nothing is there. I can’t tell and I use my Apple pencil a lot. I’ve had the esr on my 11 iPad first day I got it snd the screen is perfect.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
When using matte, paperlike protectors: The screen will be blurry, the recognition of the pencil is excellent but the pencil tip will wear out extremely quick. I need an exchange tip after two days (!) of heavy use because of the paperlike protector.
Glass: No issues here. Pencil will be recognized perfectly, I don't see anything wrong here and I'm a heavy user. It just reflects more than when using the iPad without any protection.
Really it reflects more?

vermilion_sky

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2021
Really it reflects more?
Yes, definitely. Plus there are a few rainbow lines (I'm using the Spigen tempered glass). Both things don't bother me, the rainbow effect is barely visible and just in a specific angle and I'm always working in a "darker" environment so the reflections are not too bad. But you can clearly see the difference to having no Spigen installed.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I use a glass protector for my iPhone but prefer a film protector for my iPad. I currently have a matte Elecom protector on my new iPad Pro. I’ve had it on since I got my new iPad. It doesn’t affect the pencil at all - no noticeable wear. The Elecom gives a great paper feel but it also does degrade the crispness of the screen.

I would rather have a Power Support crystal protector but I don’t see that they carry any for the latest iPads. Upon further review they say the 2018 version fits the 2021. I just ordered one.

Last edited:
Reactions: LibbyLA

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Yes, definitely. Plus there are a few rainbow lines (I'm using the Spigen tempered glass). Both things don't bother me, the rainbow effect is barely visible and just in a specific angle and I'm always working in a "darker" environment so the reflections are not too bad. But you can clearly see the difference to having no Spigen installed.
Some your post it’s now bothering me lol great!

russell_314

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
USA
If you get a quality glass screen protector, you shouldn't have any problems.
This is what I went with. JETech from Amazon. It was a two pack for about $10. The first one was a test run and the second one was successfully installed ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.