Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
I have an iFaraday stylus with a cloth tip and it works with a very gentle touch.

muzik

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2013
Hey i gonna get my new ipad air soon and am now quite unsure about which stylus i actually could buy? (planned to use the ipad as a sketchbook)

Should i actually wait to buy one or not? I originally planned to get the Intuos Creative Stylus from Wacom because i love the other products of Wacom. But in their support-forum is quite a talk about issues with the ipad air... and it seems that its not correctible with software. So i don't want to purchase an expensive stylus and find out, that a month later they bring out an "ipad air - version" of the same pen....

AntnyMikal

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2012
I personally love the intuos creative stylus. While there are some issues, I think they're more software related, as since I've had mine most the apps I use have been updated once or twice since the release of the Air and multiple new styli. I am going to make a video explaining and showing most of the things I like and dislike later in the evening, but I need to knock out my final exams first.

Maybe it'll help give you some insight. Personally I wish they had a stylus station in the stores where you could try them out with different tabs or bring your own in.

Now owning an intuos creative I could think of a few key upgrades it could use, but for what it is it is still awesome and does what it says it does, at least in my experience.

muzik

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2013
nice to hear that.
But did you used the wacom stylus on a previous version of the ipad already before?
looking forward to see the wacom perform on an ipad air. If you do so maybe also show a "not-straight-from-above" angle, so one could maybe guess how much pressure is applied more from the side aswell.

I am thinking at the moment of getting a cheap stylus and wait what will come in the near feature. I anyways have to firstly find my favorite apps etc. (never had an iPad before that)

amrtat71

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2013
khz
hi every body
i want best and newest stylus for ipad air
my usage is for writing i want it's be very fast and like you write on paper :D
and good for take note on class:rolleyes:
thanks alot

AntnyMikal

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2012
amrtat71- there is a thread on stylus for writing/note taking in the ipad:accessories forum. In my experience most stylus work fine for note taking, it's really more about the app and what it can do for you to make that experience more fluid. IMO

AntnyMikal

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2012
nice to hear that.

But did you used the wacom stylus on a previous version of the ipad already before?

looking forward to see the wacom perform on an ipad air. If you do so maybe also show a "not-straight-from-above" angle, so one could maybe guess how much pressure is applied more from the side aswell.

I am thinking at the moment of getting a cheap stylus and wait what will come in the near feature. I anyways have to firstly find my favorite apps etc. (never had an iPad before that)

I have an ipad 1 and I'll do some comparisons.

As far as writing/ drawing at an angle, I adjusted to that with the first ipad and other stylus.
Would it be possible to correct the problem? Yes, but I don't think tech is there yet in the form factor that would make a stylus a comfortable tool.
In other tablets (specifically made for drawing) the tech for pressure sensing is in the tablet itself, in which most cases the tablet is not a screen, except in some cases even then you're paying for that.

I still use the stylus at a slight angle with very few problems though.

I used a cheap eBay stylus with the ipad for years and it worked well for what it was. It was more about what the app allowed me to do within settings and tools, now I can do more with the tools and this stylus just makes it so I can do more, quickly and some new things I couldn't do before.

muzik

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2013
@AntnyMikal:

You actually don't need to convince me to buy a pressure-sensitive Stylus like the Intuos Creative Stylus, because i would already have bought it if there wouldn't be a lot of reports of problems when used with the iPad Air.
See here: ProCreate Forum about the Problem
Wacom Support Forum about the Problem

Even Wacom already stated, that there is a noticeable difference which is caused by the different screen technology and it seems as it won't be possible to fix that by Software.

So my Question is: What Stylus can i buy which won't perform worse on the iPad air then on an iPad 4.
I actually would really like to buy a pressure-sensitive Stylus, but im at the moment too unsure which one really would work on an iPad air as intentioned...
I would maybe better first buy a cheap one the get started and watch how that story gonna continue...
Also there is some interesting development going on like the "Adonit Jot Script" with a really fine tip. Some improvements and adding pressure sensitivity and it would be awesome.

Btw. as far as I know the pressure sensing is always in the digitizer. The difference is just the way the position is detected - one time through the touchscreen (iPad) or through special sensors which are build into the screen (wacom technology). So my Wacom-Tablet definitively sense the pressure through the stylus.

New2Air

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2013
problems with wacom on Air

Hi,
Like others here, I'm having problems with the Wacom Intuos Creative Stylus on my new iPad Air. I am new to iPad and to the stylus, altho I have loved Wacom tablets with my computers for years. I may be doing something (or not doing something) that's causing it, but seems like I have to press too hard; it doesn't suppress the palm marks---just all kinds of similar glitches.....
I just read the "Important Product Info" paper with the microscopic print that came with the stylus, and ran across THIS: "To avoid malfunction, keep the product away from magnets and magnetic fields." So-o-o-o what about the ultra over-priced Apple case with the magnets built in, that my Air is wearing??? Is this the source of my stylus problems???
I was loving the Air, but..................
Advice? Help? Comment?

AntnyMikal

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2012
I don't have to push my stylus any harder than I do a pencil to get it to sense pressure, in the sense that the slightest pressure starts a very fine line even at an angle, at least 90% of the time.

Also the more I use it the better it seems to get.

Some of these complaints/forums are a month old or so, SKP, Paper, Bamboo and ideas have had multiple updates this month.
I just tried bamboo 5 minutes ago (which was updated today and had an ICS update listed for details) and it works almost flawlessly now.

The only problem I experienced is occasionally It will disconnect itself from the app I'm using and then reconnect, this is random and doesn't always happen but is very annoying when it does.

I have one more final exam to finish here then I'll start on the video. Honestly I haven't experienced half of the problems reported. It works almost exactly like my tablet and pen from Wacom for PCs etc.

Ultimately, I have used a lot of different tablets, stylus etc none of them work like paper, pencil, airbrush, brush, canvas etc.
it's more about the tools and how fine you can tune them and manipulate them.
Right now I feel like the ICS is the best tool on the hardware side.

@ Muzik

You're right about the pressure sensing, I worded it wrong. They work in unison, but I wasn't really referring to that, more about practical use and convenience cost.

muzik

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2013
@AntnyMikal: Thx alot.
If the issue is fixed Wacom should say that in some way at least in their own forum. So when you google that at the moment, there are actually only those two forum-threads and both come to no solution or even worse to the solution, that its unfixable.

Looking forward to see the video, incase you are doin one. Light pressure would be (as it is said the biggest problem) most interesting.

AntnyMikal

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2012
video incoming

Finally got around to doing the video, sorry about some of the unfocused spots. Did this with the phone and one hand. About 11 minutes or so because I didn't feel like editing today! I'll do another one explaining some other things in detail too. But this one is should be pretty good/okay.

http://youtu.be/iOAD-MTiDPQ

Your thoughts, questions? Here or there, thanks.

muzik

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2013
Hey, thanks for the video, it actually looks pretty good.

I have a question tho: At 8:30 you do some strokes, which are not registered as it seems. You go closer with the camera after stroking at least 6 times, but there is actually only one line.

Edit: Haha i wrote that whole message in german first, because i was on the run and posted it from the phone and forgot that it should be in english... corrected that now ;)

Last edited:

AntnyMikal

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2012
Some of the strokes are over another stroke, hard to really see with the camera. The other thing is speed, some apps register the strokes quicker, and sometimes too fast will be ignored or delayed especially with palm rejection. The really fast and short strokes, which is not the stylus but the software side again, I'll explain what I think that is and why in the next video I do.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Just a quick update - I received my Pencil by FiftyThree this evening and I'm thrilled with how well it's behaving on my iPad Air.

I was concerned since all my capacitive styli need a much harder press to register, that this would be the same, even being Bluetooth. I was happily surprised to see that it works perfectly, and I even have a Spigen SGP UltraCrystal screen protector on my iPad Air.

I've got the same SGP on my Galaxy S3, iPad 2, iPad 3, and this iPad Air, and with the capacitive styli, you definitely have to press harder on the Air than on the other devices.

Glad to see that Pencil is working nicely with iPad Air. My one concern is the longevity of the rubber tip, as it's super super thin. It does come with one replacement set for both tip and eraser, so that's good. But I can see needing to buy new tips potentially a few times a year.

Joseph WS

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2014
Remove screen protector

I researched many posts because my stylus (tried several) wasn't working well at all. Contacted Apple about issue and they pretty much had no comment. I had researched and found that the Wacom Bamboo solo was rated very high for note taking and was disappointed in the hit and miss of it's usability with the stylus. However, taking off my screen protector made a world of difference. Now it is very responsive and I am happy with the way the stylus works. Can't say if you have to press much harder than on previous models as the Air is my first Ipad but I don't feel it is too excessive. Just thought I'd throw that out since I was so frustrated with it and was afraid to take off and waste a good screen protector for nothing ($25).

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I researched many posts because my stylus (tried several) wasn't working well at all. Contacted Apple about issue and they pretty much had no comment. I had researched and found that the Wacom Bamboo solo was rated very high for note taking and was disappointed in the hit and miss of it's usability with the stylus. However, taking off my screen protector made a world of difference. Now it is very responsive and I am happy with the way the stylus works. Can't say if you have to press much harder than on previous models as the Air is my first Ipad but I don't feel it is too excessive. Just thought I'd throw that out since I was so frustrated with it and was afraid to take off and waste a good screen protector for nothing ($25).

This is a well known fact. Styli and screen protectors don't mix.

Zumppa

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2013
So far this is the best I found!! My iPad Air also has a screen protector on it and the iFaraday works perfect.

Many recommended iFaraday so I ordered also one and I am very pleased I did. Works with small pressure and it glides well. I have cheap clear protector from ebay on my iPad Air and other styli had high friction and low sensitivity so I had to press more and that just added friction and made writing even more harder. However iFaraday works fine. It is 9th stylus I tried and it is the first one I am satisfied.

Tobster3

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2010
South Korea
After reading many reviews, I decided on 2 Different Stylus for my iPad air which has a screen protector.. The TruGlide (which has been mentioned previously) and the Kensington Vituoso stylus.

The TruGlide is not fully responsive 100% of the time but I think that is to do with the screensaver.

The Kensington Virtuoso on the other hand is excellent. I have no problems with it and am using it daily for note taking at work. Amazon currently have them for $10.

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Vi...=1390479536&sr=8-4&keywords=kensington+stylus

iisabellemariie

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2014
I bought a Wacom Bamboo stylus solo and it doesn't work with my iPad Air with a screen protector. This is the second stylus that I try unsuccessfully.. can anyone recommend me a good stylus? Thanks ;)

GalFriday

macrumors member
May 18, 2014
Northeast US
I bought a Wacom Bamboo stylus solo and it doesn't work with my iPad Air with a screen protector. This is the second stylus that I try unsuccessfully.. can anyone recommend me a good stylus? Thanks ;)

If you had taken the time to read the thread, you'd know that styli and screen protectors don't play well together. I don't use one and have the Wacom Bamboo stylus and it works perfectly. Please take the time to read this thread or use the search feature as again, had you done so you'd have seen there were a few suggestions of styli that seem to do okay with screen protectors. Good luck.

Blizky

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2015
I'm resurrecting this post to share this video:

http://youtu.be/foI-4o0Qlls

That shows the Intuos Creative Stylus 1 not working on iPad Air 1.

This can happen with any stylus I have, bamboo solo 2 and Walgreen $5 stylus.

I think I'll rake it to the store to inquiry about model differences in hardware.

This is very frustrating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.