Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

existe

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2009
Cross posted this in a couple forums

Finally replaced my Windows 11 gaming box with Mac Studio, moved all my gaming to console. I use my MAC for Motion Graphics, digital paining, music and now for work getting into Infrastructure as Code with Python/Json/YAML/Jinja etc. so it is working out great but I want to get a companion device to the Studio and not sure if getting a MacBook Air versus an iPad Air is the better direction. I can code on the MacBook Air but like the pencil portion go the iPad for my art stuff.

Curious if others are using iPad Air with iMAC/Mini or Studio and finding it valuable and useful or redundant?

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
I would say it depends on what you want the companion device to be able to do

If it’s for non professional home use supplemented with some note taking and art stuff, iPads are more fun and add more versatility than having 2 Macs in my view.

If you need the coding, or other professional tasks that need software that only works on MacOS / Windows then the choice would have to be a MacBook of some kind.

Last edited:

existe

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2009
Agree and appreciate the response, think ideally would rather do more art stuff on the companion device as I can do other workarounds to do coding if I needed to but with the MBA I would have to use a Wacom tablet. First world problems I know

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
If you need the coding, or other professional tasks that need software that only works on MacOS / Windows than the choice would have to be a MacBook of some kind.
It's not as if you cannot code on an iPad... there are apps that allow you to do. Textastic being the most popular one... I do miss Coda, that was the best coding app imo.

I want to get a companion device to the Studio and not sure if getting a MacBook Air versus an iPad Air is the better direction. I can code on the MacBook Air but like the pencil portion go the iPad for my art stuff.
Cannot go wrong with any device, but if you want a device with Pencil support... iPad Air would obviously be the way to go. Being you have the Studio that helps with any heavy workflows. Then there's the option to remote access to your Studio from the iPad Air.

Reactions: existe

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Agree and appreciate the response, think ideally would rather do more art stuff on the companion device as I can do other workarounds to do coding if I needed to but with the MBA I would have to use a Wacom tablet. First world problems I know
Think about it this way.

The MacBook Air is a portable version of your Studio, while the iPad provides a unique experience. Nothing wrong with getting both.😜

existe

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2009
It's not as if you cannot code on an iPad... there are apps that allow you to do. Textastic being the most popular one... I do miss Coda, that was the best coding app imo.

Cannot go wrong with any device, but if you want a device with Pencil support... iPad Air would obviously be the way to go. Being you have the Studio that helps with any heavy workflows. Then there's the option to remote access to your Studio from the iPad Air.
So I grabbed an Air with Magic Keyboard, loaded up Textastic and Working Copy and off to the races, perfect solution to what I tend to code. Appreciate the advice

• Love
Reactions: Ludatyk

cis4life

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2008
I basically run the same setup. Even though I have a Macbook Pro Max for my laptop needs, When I'm out and about (like Vacation and such) I usually just grab my maxed out iPad Pro 12.9 and Magic Keyboard with Pencil. Its just more versatile than my Macbook Pro Max. I use Textastic and Jump Desktop to remote into my Mac and Windows Dev Server at home if I need to really code. It works SURPRISINGLY well!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.