Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morten L

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Actually quite a simple question, which I have not seen been discussed in other threads.

Do you think that Apple will make some adjustments to the iPad software (compared to the iPhone/iPod Touch), making it able to stream music wireless directly from the iPad to Airport Express (Airtunes) without having you Mac turned on?

Cheers,

M

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Honestly, I doubt anyone here would know that answer. My guess is when they talk about iPhone OS 3.2/4.0 whichever has new features next, you will know. Seems very plausible. But you know Apple, so I doubt it.

dissdnt

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
I'm hoping for at least a robust version of the Remote App to control iTunes and AppleTV.. even your Mac would be nice.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I would expect the Remote app to be rewritten for more than just real estate. Hopefully more functionality. I often use mine around the house to control my Mac, but why have it turned off when you will most likely have significantly more music on your Mac than your iPad, wouldn't you rather control it than push it. I see that pushing it certainly would take more battery.

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
I'm a great believer that the iPad is simply a massive Touch. The iPod Touch doesn't do it so I don't think the iPad will.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
I was just thinking about this. I hope that there is some sort of Airtunes thing built into the iPod app. I dont wanna listen to music through headphones or the garbage internal speaker.
Actually, what I would also like to see is the ability to stream to a running iTunes on a computer. I see it as a pop-up menu as an iTunes remote, with the ability to stream music from your iPad that you take to a friends house.

simonhawkings

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2010
This is a really big one for me! I want to use the iPad as front end to my music collection, its such a great feature why wouldn't they make this part of functionality?

Apple had previously said they wanted to bring back the experience of sharing music, iTunes LP was part of that, surely the iPad with streaming to Airtunes is next.... surely!

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Streaming from Mac to iPad?

I've just spend a pleasant evening streaming music and videos from my MacPro to my Macbook Pro. I don't like to keep a lot of video or music on my laptop because I have an SSD where space is at a premium.

Is there any indication the iPad is going to be able to bring in music or videos from Mac desktop, laptop, or household server?

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
I've just spend a pleasant evening streaming music and videos from my MacPro to my Macbook Pro. I don't like to keep a lot of video or music on my laptop because I have an SSD where space is at a premium.

Is there any indication the iPad is going to be able to bring in music or videos from Mac desktop, laptop, or household server?

If not natively, I would imagine there will be a plethora of 3rd party apps available to do just that via Wifi.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
In the iPad Guided Tour, they mention that you can "connect it to your home theatre and listen to your music throughout the house". That sounds a lot like Airtunes to me.

I wonder if it'll stream to an AppleTv or just an AirPort Express.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I'm hoping for at least a robust version of the Remote App to control iTunes and AppleTV.. even your Mac would be nice.

+1 on Remote. Big user of that app.

I'm a great believer that the iPad is simply a massive Touch.

I'm a big believer that you're simply wrong.

Simply does this, or did, but it's gone now unfortunately. Gotta believe Apple or someone else will enable this...

Uncle Rico

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2010
In the iPad Guided Tour, they mention that you can "connect it to your home theatre and listen to your music throughout the house". That sounds a lot like Airtunes to me.

I wonder if it'll stream to an AppleTv or just an AirPort Express.

I saw that too just now and did a Web search on this subject just because they were so vague. In that tour bit, they just show a wide shot of a user clicking on "Music." Seemed pretty vague, in contrast with all the places they zoom in to show details. If I could control music on my outside stereo from the iPad, that would be great.

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Turns out that right now all it does play through is via the audio cable. But AirTunes is coming, if Steve Jobs has any say about it :D

I stumblde upon this German (?) web page that seems to claim to have gotten the answer... right from Steve Jobs' email reply:

"Not yet. But I want to do this too. Just a matter of getting to it."

And so we wait! :D

skiwie

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007
Europe
I hope you're right

I hope you're right. It seems obvious, not doing it is crippling the iPad on purpose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.