Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CyberBob859

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
How does the iPad handle iDisk from MobileMe? Is there native support built-in, or do you need the iDisk app from the iPhone?

What I was wondering if I could prepare iWork documents on my Mac, save them to iDisk, and then just have an iPad access them "in the cloud" through iDisk.

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
The idisk app can be downloaded to your ipad, but it is not a native ipad app. But it does work fine.

I am very surprised that Apple did not have a native Ipad Idisk and Gallary app ready for the Ipad on launch day.

CyberBob859

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
The idisk app can be downloaded to your ipad, but it is not a native ipad app. But it does work fine.

I am very surprised that Apple did not have a native Ipad Idisk and Gallary app ready for the Ipad on launch day.

Do you know if Pages on the iPad will see the iDisk app, and if documents can be brought in that way? Or do you always require a sync through iTunes to import documents?

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA

Not only was I surprised, I am actually pretty stunned that they still don't have a native app for that. After all, we're dealing with access issues between an Apple device and an Apple service. How come this is not in place?! If Dropbox could do it, why not Apple? This is frustrating.

Peter Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
UK
I'm not stunned at all. The lack of a native app and the lack of iDisk functionality in the iWork make me think that the iPad's OS 4 will have some iDisk functionality built in, and iWork will be updated to work with it.

MacAddiction

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
@ CyberBob859

Just got out my iPad to try this. I've been trying to survive on the iPad without my Macbook Pro to see what I can and cannot do.

You are able to read the documents on the iDisk (via the app), then you can "share" it to your email, then download the attachment, where it gives you an option to open in Pages. You can edit then email it back to yourself or share it via the beta version of iWork.com. Then you have to remember to update it your iDisk when you're back at your computer. Its a pain.

I'd love to hear of an easier way!

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
I just use my iWork account as a central store for any documents I'm working on.

Instead of saving, I just "Share via iWork", leaving the e-mail address blank. From my MacBook or iPad, I can open any of the documents and edit them.

I can also access them via other computers by going to iWork.com in a browser and viewing (or downloading) the document.

It's an extra step or two over just saving things locally -- it would be nice if your iwork.com documents just appeared in a tab or something.

I use iDisk mostly as an archive for old documents now. Active documents are in iWork.com.

- Don

Jason Bourne

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2005
Goodreader is cheap, iPad native and can pull files easily from your iDisk. I use it for this all the time. But it's more for reading than editing and syncing.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Goodreader is cheap, iPad native and can pull files easily from your iDisk. I use it for this all the time. But it's more for reading than editing and syncing.

I also started using GoodReader and it is really a great app for accessing my iDisk documents.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
+1 on the GoodReader recommendation.

With it, you can download a file from your iDisk and open it in another app (i.e., Pages, Keynote...).

Getting the edited file back out of Pages or Keynote and back to your iDisk is more of a trick, since Apple doesn't (yet) provide a direct way, but here's what I do - I email the file from Pages/Keynote/etc. back to myself. Save the attachment with GoodReader, then upload it back to my iDisk thru GoodReader.

Kind of a kludge, but at least it works.

My iPad would be seriously less usefull without GoodReader, I must say. It's a must have for anyone who does any kind of file manipulation, storage or editing.

Don't bother with Apple's iDisk app from the App Store. It's an iPhone app at the moment and not too useful on the iPad. Spend the 99 cents on GoodReader.

cupalup

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2010
I simply cannot believe that Apple themselves aren't fully supporting the iPad!

The iDisk app looks awful on the iPad. Even worse when they want me to pay a subsciption for MobileMe.

Plus - fancy adjusting some of the settings of MobileMe from your iPad? Not possible. http://www.me.com redirects to an iPad-'friendly' site. RUBBISH!

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I simply cannot believe that Apple themselves aren't fully supporting the iPad!

The iDisk app looks awful on the iPad. Even worse when they want me to pay a subsciption for MobileMe.

Plus - fancy adjusting some of the settings of MobileMe from your iPad? Not possible. http://www.me.com redirects to an iPad-'friendly' site. RUBBISH!

There is little doubt that someone at Apple is working on the iDisk app for iPad. It is a shame that it isn't already out though.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I've been using Goodreader and Office2 HD to access my iDisk files.

I would think the integration would have been there from day one for the MobileMe apps. I also think the Contacts app is lacking in what you can (I mean can't) do via the iPad.

Apple is really slacking here and they need to step up.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I've been using Goodreader and Office2 HD to access my iDisk files.

I would think the integration would have been there from day one for the MobileMe apps. I also think the Contacts app is lacking in what you can (I mean can't) do via the iPad.

Apple is really slacking here and they need to step up.

And what about the Notes app? That thing is as barebones as it could be. Pretty pathetic, really.

3Pedals6Speeds

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2010
I suspect there is a major revision of iDisk about to be announced at the WWDC that will give us a file management structure on iDisk for the iPad that will motivate non-iDisk users to sign up for the service. It means extra money for Apple, it gives iPad the file management structure people are clamoring for, and it allows them to integrate OS4 and all the platforms that use it (iPhone, iPad, and supposedly the new iTV) into a seamless 'community'

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
I suspect there is a major revision of iDisk about to be announced at the WWDC that will give us a file management structure on iDisk for the iPad that will motivate non-iDisk users to sign up for the service. It means extra money for Apple, it gives iPad the file management structure people are clamoring for, and it allows them to integrate OS4 and all the platforms that use it (iPhone, iPad, and supposedly the new iTV) into a seamless 'community'

This would seem to
make sense.

KENTW

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2009
Anyone tries the Readdle docs app, just interested in a comparison against goodreader?

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA

Well, but then again, there have been rumors that MobileMe may be become a free service.

scgf

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
Market Harborough, UK
What you need is Office2HD and DropBox. DropBox gives you 2GB of free storage online. Office2HD can access your Word or Excel files directly from DropBox and can save the changed file back to DropBox. You can mount your DropBox folder on a Mac or Windows computer and easily add to it or access files created on your iPad.

If you follow this link you will get extra storage space for free, and so will I. If you'd rather not, just go straight to http://www.dropbox.com.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.