Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kibbe17

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
So here's a quick post just ranting more love of this "magical" device:D..

No but really. Heheh.

This thing is the ULTIMATE tech garage/ working on car, companion. The internet holds an infinite amount of info and being able to access this QUICKLY AND EASILY is just great. You might think the iPad would never fit in in a garage with all of the dirt and oils kicked around.. but this thing will hold it's own. And I'm using it 100% naked. I was just super pumped while using it to answer my many questions as I worked along. And thought Id share with you all one more way this device completes me.:D

Not to mention this will most likely take place of my Haines repair manual.. They should have an app for that;)

Anyone else use their iPad as an auto repair companion?

Anticlockwork

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2010
Personaly I don't think anything can replace a hanes repair manual but for part look ups or color pictures I can see it as semi worthwhile to have in the gerage. You must have a super clean car though. I own a wrangler and can tell you that I would never touch my ipad after working on it or during working on it.

Kibbe17

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
Personaly I don't think anything can replace a hanes repair manual but for part look ups or color pictures I can see it as semi worthwhile to have in the gerage. You must have a super clean car though. I own a wrangler and can tell you that I would never touch my ipad after working on it or during working on it.

Well, you mayyy be right about the Haynes manual, but what's not to say that there's an ebook version of it out there somewhere.. (one could dream:D). but no I do not have a "clean" car. 91 Toyota corolla wagon to be exact and I was painting today so I was anything but clean but a good wipe if the hands with a shop rag and the ipad was ready for action. I just found that it came in handy moooore than once. And it was just one of those really nice "try to do that with your iPhone or mpb" kind of moments.. U know?

Oh BTW I keep my iPad in the zippered, neoprene, gel, "incase" case when not in use. It wasn't like I was going to splatter paint on it, but still very easily accesible and readily availible.:cool:

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007

Why would it replace the Haynes manual when Haynes can produce it for the iPad and actually charge annual subscription to it? There are body protectors for a reason, hell even waterproof one. Haynes could hook up with some kind of autocode scanner for the car to read off the codes from the car's computer.

Imagine the ability to search for specific cars and its parts, get latest information, color pictures or even videos along with a large howto communities around the world sharing their tips and tricks.

Kibbe17

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
Why would it replace the Haynes manual when Haynes can produce it for the iPad and actually charge annual subscription to it? There are body protectors for a reason, hell even waterproof one. Haynes could hook up with some kind of autocode scanner for the car to read off the codes from the car's computer.

Imagine the ability to search for specific cars and its parts, get latest information, color pictures or even videos along with a large howto communities around the world sharing their tips and tricks.

YESS!! now were thinkin! This is what I was slightly getting in to.. I see absolutely no reason for there to not be a 30pin iPad dock cable to OBDII port connector (under the dash) this could be a lifesaver when it comes to Check engine lights.. Among other things. Cannot wait to see what the future holds.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Is it dangerous to work on your car naked?

What if you get caught in the fan belt or something?

Kibbe17

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
Is it dangerous to work on your car naked?

What if you get caught in the fan belt or something?

Hahahahaha this leterally made me LOL, especially when I re-read how I accidentaly worded that statement:D good one:cool:

Jkazmeyer

macrumors regular
May 2, 2010
Madison TN
There is an app for your iPhone called rev that can communicate with your vehicle if you buy an obd2 to wifi dongle.... I'm sure it will work on iPad... Depending on your car it can provide you with all kinds of metrics for tweaking your engine... I believe it will even reset a check engine light... Just another amazing thing your iPad can do for you in the garage....

Mshilling

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2010
Ive had an old HP laptop in my garage for years and it has been the best "tool" I have added out there. I always get a copy of the factory repair manual for the vehicles I have at the time (haynes manuals have their place I suppose...not in my garage). The iPad would also be nice out there I guess but my old laptop looks like its been through the fire and I dont know if I want to subject my ipad to those conditions. Great idea though!!

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Im currently rebuilding a 98' Hornet in my dads garage, and took my iMac G3 out there to give me music and an easy way to surf the web and get info, sadly he made me take it out :( haha

Kibbe17

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
AHHHAAAA, bringing back this thread.. This is EXACTLY what I was talking about. http://www.ot-2.com/overview.html right now it's only for iPhone and iPod touch. But at least someone has the idea! I just strolled accross this in an ad while surfing window tinting.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
I love the iPad and all but why wouldn't a laptop work just as well or better? You don't have to hold it up and you could type with mechanic gloves on.

Kibbe17

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
I love the iPad and all but why wouldn't a laptop work just as well or better? You don't have to hold it up and you could type with mechanic gloves on.

Well with the iPad its just so simple. To look things up, it's fast, easy, and super portable. You don't have to open it up, and wait for it to boot up, or wake up from a screen saver. It's just there, at your service, ready to use. Now on the subject of typing you kinda got me, but i was working without mechanix gloves and had no problems. It fit my needs and like I said, it was just.. There. Simple as that. I couldn't really imagine lugging out the lappy and booting up and waiting for IE to load in order to just look up a part number or something. Or how much a certain part will cost. I guess this post is just showing that there's an ass for every seat and my seat happens to be my ipad:D

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I understand how you were able to keep your ipad clean.

Toyotas don't require maintenance therefore you weren't actually working on it.

You're just here to brag that your 91 has 4,675,392 miles on it and all you've ever done is shake out the driver side floormat ......... once.

<--- former Corolla owner

:D

Kibbe17

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
I understand how you were able to keep your ipad clean.

Toyotas don't require maintenance therefore you weren't actually working on it.

You're just here to brag that your 91 has 4,675,392 miles on it and all you've ever done is shake out the driver side floormat ......... once.

<--- former Corolla owner

:D

+1 :D

Wheaty

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
Cheshire, UK
I Love the Idea.

I had thought of this sort of thing and Dreamed of it in the past.

My Ipod Mini ventures into the garage but then its small enough to keep out of harms way, however its not a particularly big garage so I wouldnt risk a laptop /iPad.. And anyway, It would take up too much shelf space for me! Oh, and the though of all the bits of rust and oil that a 40yr old Landy can produce...that cant be good to any screen! :eek:

Maybe in another 10years I might have a garage with a little more room and I'll snap this idea right up. :)

Wheaty

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.