Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
What apps are best suited for storing, reading, and some highlighting/note-taking of large PDFs and textbooks (100 mb - 800 mb).
Search is probably the most important feature for me, as many of the PDFs are not properly indexed.

I've used Books and Notability before, but I would like to consolidate to one application for ease of use and syncing.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I like PDF Expert.

I sometimes use the PDF viewer in Files to quickly read documents, and I sometimes use Books to read long documents that are, well, book-like. When I have a document that's standard printer-paper sized and needs some markup, I'll use PDF Expert.

It's worth a mention though that they're ever so slowly nudging towards a subscription model, so I'm keeping an eye out for good alternatives.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I sometimes use the PDF viewer in Files to quickly read documents, and I sometimes use Books to read long documents that are, well, book-like. When I have a document that's standard printer-paper sized and needs some markup, I'll use PDF Expert.

It's worth a mention though that they're ever so slowly nudging towards a subscription model, so I'm keeping an eye out for good alternatives.
I have noticed that as well with PDF Expert. I won‘t be subscribing. I did use the pro version free for a year ($50 dollar value) and found I didn’t use it that much.

The stock PDF viewer is a very good app for basic use. If not for PDF Expert, I would still be relying on PDF viewer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Analog Kid

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
What apps are best suited for storing, reading, and some highlighting/note-taking of large PDFs and textbooks (100 mb - 800 mb).
Search is probably the most important feature for me, as many of the PDFs are not properly indexed.

I've used Books and Notability before, but I would like to consolidate to one application for ease of use and syncing.
Notability is out because of the lack of a text search function then.

Personally, I use pdf expert more as a dropbox-syncing tool than I use it to read PDFs. Something about the interface just makes it feel very cumbersome for annotating on pdfs.

You might want to try Liquidtext. It's an interesting pdf app that lets you highlight and drag out snippets of text that you can reference at a later time. Something like bookmarks. I have never had a real need for it, but sounds like it may be fun to play around with for you.

Reactions: NeuralControl

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
You might want to try Liquidtext. It's an interesting pdf app that lets you highlight and drag out snippets of text that you can reference at a later time. Something like bookmarks. I have never had a real need for it, but sounds like it may be fun to play around with for you.

I started using Liquidtext for my most recent paper. I'd definitely give it a +1 - it's insanely handy for mapping things out/grouping/tagging those snippets in logical ways.

Last edited:
Reactions: NeuralControl

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004

I've constantly been VERY happy with GoodReader.

Among the aspects that make it perfect for me:
- it has nested folders so you can organize your PDFs
- you can set it up to sync with a Mac folder.
These two features mean if you have a large PDF library (more than 100 or so) it's very easy to keep them organized on your Mac and just sync the iPad to the Mac so the two sides stay in sync.

It also allows you to have multiple files open at once (I think up to 8) via tabs, like Safari; it allows you to open multiple views on the same file (so you can compare one part of a file with another); and it allows you to split the screen so you can view two files (or two views of the same file) simultaneously.
It also provides very good cropping options (something most PDF readers are useless at) so that you can crop out white space margins and make the text 10% or so larger.

And it has the usual collection of PDF annotation/note taking (by finger, or with an Apple Pencil).

Yes, you have to pay for it. But it is worth every penny!

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
I like PDF Expert as well despite its limited annotation toolset.

The one thing that I have learned about PDFs on iPad is it isn't always about PDF size. Sometimes a complex PDF can come in a relatively small footprint and bring some of the various PDF apps that I've tried to their knees. I'm talking PDFs that are under 20mb in size but consist of large amounts of vector graphics - CAD prints of civil engineering drawings with large amounts of hatching and topographic contours etc. My observations in those cases is some apps work a little better than others but most have issues panning around when zoomed in where they'll initially draw the image in a low res format and it takes a few seconds (more on some apps) to refresh to full resolution image. This makes navigating on large printed CAD files cumbersome.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
I've constantly been VERY happy with GoodReader.

Among the aspects that make it perfect for me:
- it has nested folders so you can organize your PDFs
- you can set it up to sync with a Mac folder...

I know Good reader is a great app, but the 2 reasons you cite here are just features any cloud supporting app has, be it either iCloud, Dropbox or OneDrive, all of them support nested folders and sync with folders on Mac, iPhone and other devices.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
I know Good reader is a great app, but the 2 reasons you cite here are just features any cloud supporting app has, be it either iCloud, Dropbox or OneDrive, all of them support nested folders and sync with folders on Mac, iPhone and other devices.

Really? Because when I go to, eg, the PDF Expert pages what I see is this:

which strikes me as very different from what GoodReader sync is giving me.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
Really? Because when I go to, eg, the PDF Expert pages what I see is this:

which strikes me as very different from what GoodReader sync is giving me.

As a PDF Expert user for the past 2 years I can tell you that one can make connections to various cloud services and use them to sync files between multiple platforms utilizing the folder structure established within each of those services.

I use several, including iCloud, Google Drive, Dropbox and OneDrive. I am able to share files between my iPad Pro, Macbook Pro, Windows computers and my Android phone just fine, including organizing things in folders.

That support page you linked to has nothing to do with cloud services. It is probably something one would find when searching for solutions to “transfer files”. The page describes the workflow as the easiest way to transfer files, IMHO it is not - the use of cloud services is.

There are some (perhaps many) who would rather not use cloud services though, and that’s totally fine. Just know that the functionality does exist when they are used and it works quite well.

Reactions: cdcastillo

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
As a PDF Expert user for the past 2 years I can tell you that one can make connections to various cloud services and use them to sync files between multiple platforms utilizing the folder structure established within each of those services.

I use several, including iCloud, Google Drive, Dropbox and OneDrive. I am able to share files between my iPad Pro, Macbook Pro, Windows computers and my Android phone just fine, including organizing things in folders.

That support page you linked to has nothing to do with cloud services. It is probably something one would find when searching for solutions to “transfer files”. The page describes the workflow as the easiest way to transfer files, IMHO it is not - the use of cloud services is.

There are some (perhaps many) who would rather not use cloud services though, and that’s totally fine. Just know that the functionality does exist when they are used and it works quite well.

But you missed my point. I don’t want to sync with a cloud service, or to store my PDFs in the cloud. I’m happy to store them on my Mac, and have GoodReader sync with that Mac. That’s what I said as an advantage for me of GoodReader over other apps.
Other people have different work flows, but mine relies on GoodReader syncing with MY MAC not with [generic cloud service].

Reactions: cdcastillo

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
But you missed my point. I don’t want to sync with a cloud service, or to store my PDFs in the cloud. I’m happy to store them on my Mac, and have GoodReader sync with that Mac. That’s what I said as an advantage for me of GoodReader over other apps.
Other people have different work flows, but mine relies on GoodReader syncing with MY MAC not with [generic cloud service].

Got it. Out of curiosity, how exactly is this syncing occuring? As in, say you edit a file in GoodReader on the iPad, what process initiates the transfer to the Mac and what service/app needs to be running on the Mac?

You're right, many ways/workflows to do things and whats best for one differs from everyone else.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
Yep, you're right, totally missed the point. I was thinking of a different thing.

You're using it just as how I use 1Password, I do not want to sync with the cloud, I don't trust neither iCloud nor Dropbox with my vault, I use local syncing directly with my Mac. Hadn't thought about using this with PDFs, though.

Last edited:

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
Got it. Out of curiosity, how exactly is this syncing occuring? As in, say you edit a file in GoodReader on the iPad, what process initiates the transfer to the Mac and what service/app needs to be running on the Mac?

You're right, many ways/workflows to do things and whats best for one differs from everyone else.

In the GoodReader app you can set up various "sync services", in particular you can set up your mac as a sync server. This means running standard Apple filesharing on your mac (right now GoodReader uses AFP, but I expect at some point that will change to SMB), and telling GoodReader the IP address, the login credentials, and the PDF folder of interest (ie the usual sort of stuff you need to connect to any server).

Once that has been done, one time, then in the "toolbar" of various actions (appears in various places in the GoodReader app, there is a sync button you can press and the sync happens). Since it's using standard Apple file sharing it operates when file sharing operates. If the target mac is asleep or disconnected from the network of course you can't connect! Likewise (unless you have done something unusual with your file sharing, like port forwarding) filesharing won't work if you are out of your house and not on the local network.

"Syncing" can be set to do various things in terms of what gets added or deleted on what side; but I do a "total" sync, meaning that both sides are made to match each other exactly, with deletions or additions happening on both sides.
My usual work flow is I collect PDFs on my mac during the course of a week or two, I file them appropriately on the mac. At the same time I am reading older PDFs on my iPad and (usually) deleting them after I have read them, (sometimes) moving them to permanent storage.
When I hit the sync button
- the new PDFs on the mac move to the iPad
- the PDFs that were on the iPad get deleted from the Mac
- the PDFs that were moved to a permanent folder on the iPad similarly get moved to that folder on the Mac.

Sync is very fast (of course it could be slow if you have really slow WiFi, or have added a huge number of large PDFs) but for me it's usually a few seconds to tens of seconds.

For me the advantages of doing things this way include:
- My PDF library is large (tens of GB) so I'm not using up, or even overflowing, my 50GB paid-for cloud storage.
- *I* control the times at which sync happens.
If I delete something on the iPad by mistake, I know it's still available on my Mac until I force a GoodReader sync.
Likewise when I force a sync I KNOW that the data (not just a reference to it) is sitting on my iPad. I never get that situation you sometimes get with iCloud Drive where you go into a plane or whatever and find that a file you hoped to access has not been downloaded to your iPad...
And I know that if I go on vacation for three weeks, I can read everything on my iPad without worry (even if I never have internet access), I can delete files, move them around, annotate them, and when I get back and hit the sync button everything will magically change on my mac to match what I did on vacation.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
@name99 - cool. Yeah I can understand the usefulness of that workflow. For what it’s worth I see the capability to sync with a Mac via SFTP listed in help files for PDF Expert though I have no reason to have tried it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.