Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillyred79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
I never owned an iPhone or iPod touch so the whole apps thing is pretty new to me.. So far any apps that I've purchased or dl'd were from iTunes.. Are there other places to get iPad apps or just iTunes for now?

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
It's easy and seamless and any app your buy (or get free) downloads immediately. Just be sure to connect to a computer via usb from time to time and pick "transfer purchases" in iTunes to back up your applications. I didn't do this and I lost a lot of apps when my iPod crashed. Sure, I could download them again 1 by 1, but the only facility Apple provides for getting your apps back after a crash is usb + iTunes.

phillyred79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
It's easy and seamless and any app your buy (or get free) downloads immediately. Just be sure to connect to a computer via usb from time to time and pick "transfer purchases" in iTunes to back up your applications. I didn't do this and I lost a lot of apps when my iPod crashed. Sure, I could download them again 1 by 1, but the only facility Apple provides for getting your apps back after a crash is usb + iTunes.

Thanks for the tip.. I plan on giving my iPad to my father when the 3G comes out, so what is the best way to restore the iPad to factory new (clean apps off personal info etc) and then install my previous apps on the new 3G?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.