Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
A couple of visual oddies you should fix:
1) The graphs should have some kind of headers in them. It looks weird without any text on top. Also don't use the budget as min-max, it should be lowest group and highest group (100-1000, not 498-928). It looks very squeezed in there, might want to fix that.
2) Columns with dollars on the right side should be right justified, not left. There's a reason, you know there's always 2 decimals on the right side of the dot, but not the left, so it always look justified. You have it right on the left side, but you need to keep it consistent throughout the application. You also have the budget column that's not right justified.
3) Center the Category Header, so that it's consistent with the Date on the left.
4) Your New and Edit buttons are not consistent in how it should placed. New on Right and Edit on left? It looks weird and out of place.

Overall, it looks nice, it looks like a leather bound budget planner.

Thanks, I agree with your first 2 comments. The choice of header justification was modeled after one of the views in the Calendar app. I played with it in every which way and for now decided I like this way the best. The New and Edit buttons are contextually placed, i.e. the new button adds a new category to the list that the button is adjacent to, and the Edit button edits the active category on the side with the Edit button.

rtabdo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
PinBall for iPad

thepinballipad-6.jpg

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Thanks, I agree with your first 2 comments. The choice of header justification was modeled after one of the views in the Calendar app. I played with it in every which way and for now decided I like this way the best. The New and Edit buttons are contextually placed, i.e. the new button adds a new category to the list that the button is adjacent to, and the Edit button edits the active category on the side with the Edit button.

Oh I know that those buttons are respective to their frame, but what I mean is that in their own respective frame, the buttons are on the opposite side. The edit button should be on the right side to make it consistent. Users would know right away with memory muscle that there'll be a button on the right bottom side for every frames. From first look, I can't tell what the edit button is for, it looks like it's for editing the graph and not the data on the right side.

Even so, I still think it takes up too much space for one button for both frames. There's got to be a better way to make it more efficient.

Can you post a screenshot of the portrait view?

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
PinBall for iPad

thepinballipad-6.jpg

Please use , not [IMG], it's too big.

This goes for everybody in this thread, don't post the images in original size. [img] will automatically resize it with link to original size.

Thank you.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Even so, I still think it takes up too much space for one button for both frames. There's got to be a better way to make it more efficient.

Can you post a screenshot of the portrait view?

beta.png

beta2.png

This is the same way that the Contacts app works as well, although in my case the buttons have a slightly different meaning (the New button means new category, rather than new item. New items are created using the + in the toolbar).

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Looks pretty lame honestly... Eh. to each their own

Depends on your needs. I actually don't need it - it's for my daughter. I'd however prefer to have a way to take these types of notes with a video playing at the top.

I won't be rushing into buying anything at first - i have a feeling there will be a huge explosion of announcements and such when NDA's expire and such.

I can't wait to see where it goes!!

colourtheatre

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2010

speaking of which. I wonder if anyone is creating a microsoft courier-ish app for the iPad. a notetaking/journal app that allows you to bring up a web browser OR photo album on one side of the screen (when placed in landscape mode), clip pictures, text and all that jazz and drag them over to the notetaking side of the application where you can scale, crop, or just scrible all over the information that you have clipped or just put it in a sort of placeholder box. close the browser/photo album to browse through your pages etc and then bring down the placeholder box to place the information that you have clipped etc. the rest will be standard-ish features I guess with text input, some assorted brushes (I'm sure I'm not the first one to have thought of it but I think it would be nice if some properties or tools of apps could be shared between apps. like brushes from a painting app shared with a photo editing app etc), folders, tags, voice recording etc. ok fine! I admit, I want the microsoft courier! but I'm sure this is possible on the iPad as well isnt it?

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
speaking of which. I wonder if anyone is creating a microsoft courier-ish app for the iPad. a notetaking/journal app .......

I have been working on one, but its not ready yet..I will be submitting after i test it in real device (plus time constraint..).. I bet there will be tons of those type of apps ( one note, note taking apps) by then.

- Jay

colourtheatre

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2010
I have been working on one, but its not ready yet..I will be submitting after i test it in real device (plus time constraint..).. I bet there will be tons of those type of apps ( one note, note taking apps) by then.

- Jay

yeah. note taking apps are aplenty but one that actually follows a similar path like microsoft courier's would be much more useful (in my opinion) with in-built web/photo browsers that allows multiple clipping functionalities and editing.

if you're developing one with similar features, i am definitely looking forward to it with great anticipation! do share with us some screens etc if/when you can and good luck! :)

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Forgot to add: iStudiez Pro will have an iPad app "very soon" according to their Twitter.

I'm really looking forward to that one as well. I use it all the time on my iPhone.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Forgot to add: iStudiez Pro will have an iPad app "very soon" according to their Twitter.

I'm really looking forward to that one as well. I use it all the time on my iPhone.

Is it sad to say iStudies Pro for iPad/iPhone makes me wish going back to college?

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Is it sad to say iStudies Pro for iPad/iPhone makes me wish going back to college?

Haha...no ... it's a really awesome app. It's too bad they don't make a general-purpose planner. Although...the Calendar app on the iPad looks really nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.