Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SimonTT

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
Bavaria
Hi,
I saw this video (
) and really liked the idea of modernising a car with something like this, but I am quite picky about screen quality and this one only has about 100ppi (I don't really like the 160ppi of my 27" Ultrafine Display), iPads have 260ppi and are at least 60Hz. Added with the fact that their processors are faster than some x86 desktop chips this forms the perfect basis for a good experience (crisp and snappy). I don't really need most of CarPlays functions, Maps and Music are the two things I value most.

Also I don't believe in central screens, the car should be focused towards the driver. A kit like this should be right in front of the driver replacing the original gauge cluster.
I think a digital gauge cluster drastically improves a cars looks and improves the connection between the car and you.
Appel announced an updated CarPlay experience (last WWDC I think), they also showed some concepts for digital dashboards.
tempImageACXbo6.jpg

This is my favourite. You surely can recreate this with an iPad and a generic OBD-II connection (If this isn't fast enough you should be able to use the information sent to the original gauge cluster). Is there anything out there that turns your iPad into something like this?
And I don't want something like this ↓
maxresdefault.jpg

I want a clean/minimalist design that is customisable.
Another function great function of the CarPlay kit is a dash / backup cam.
But once again the quality isn't that great and 4k cams are available for ~50$.
All in all the CarPlay kit offers great value but just not the quality and customisability I am looking for.
Does anyone have experience with something like this?

Reactions: max2

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I was looking into this a few months back for my old car but after searching a lot didn’t find any viable way to actually make an iPad into a CarPlay device. So ended up buying one of these devices that connected well and is set on the centre of the dashboard.

The screen is 10.3” so big enough for you to see everything and the passenger side can easily control media as well if needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.