Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
I agree that the external support with iPads have improved vastly. Lately I actually take only my iPad to work. I go in the office once in a blue moon (aka once every 2 months) and do not want to carry the Macbook so I take only the iPad. I have the Magic keyboard so trackpad is good. And I can say it can do what I need it to do at work which is mostly admin work, having zoom calls, taking meeting minutes in OneNote, checking emails and Slack.

The external monitor support works well with normal monitor, it does not work that well with my ultra wide at home (does not scale that well).

Reactions: bondr006

JayDomK

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2024
I agree that the external support with iPads have improved vastly. Lately I actually take only my iPad to work. I go in the office once in a blue moon (aka once every 2 months) and do not want to carry the Macbook so I take only the iPad. I have the Magic keyboard so trackpad is good. And I can say it can do what I need it to do at work which is mostly admin work, having zoom calls, taking meeting minutes in OneNote, checking emails and Slack.

The external monitor support works well with normal monitor, it does not work that well with my ultra wide at home (does not scale that well).
Let me ask you, how wide is your home monitor? I want to understand the limit.

Reactions: secretk

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I stand corrected on the terminology.
As for performance, I was comparing M1 to M2 vs M1 to M3 which, according to the MacBook Pro results, is quite a significant leap (especially for the Max models).
I mean, the appropriate comparison should be done between the M1 to M2 Vs the M2 to M3 to really know if there has been a bigger jump or not. And of course, given that we’re talking about iPads with their limited thermal design, the Pro, Max and Ultra shouldn’t be kept into account.

That being said, from what I’ve seen, the jump between M2 and M3 is slightly bigger than that we had between the M1 and the M2. But that alone shouldn’t make us disregard the performance jump we had from the M1 to the M2, especially regarding the Efficiency Cores, Neural Engine, faster DDR5 RAM and bigger Caché on the M2 compared to the M1.

But yeah, the clockspeed increase in the M3 is significant (thanks to the 3nm) and that has allowed it to be a slightly bigger increase in regards of performance.

The future looks exciting, to be honest, and it’s a pity that Apple’s OLED bother my eyes, because I’d really love to upgrade to an M4 or M5 iPad Pro in the future.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
What’s the issue with external monitor support on your ultrawide?

I have a super ultrawide… don’t really use it for the iPad, but it‘s workable.

I got it, thank you. It is indeed the very wide monitor. I think scaling support will be added in future versions.
As of now… Apple has only added 3 different options for resolutions under Display Zoom (Large Text, Default and More Space).

And this is the same options under the iPad screen itself. By this factor, I don‘t think Apple see scailing an issue for external monitor support (especially if you have an Apple Studio Display to pair the iPad with).

Reactions: JayDomK

Ultracyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2014
Zwijndrecht, Netherlands
What’s the issue with external monitor support on your ultrawide?

I have a super ultrawide… don’t really use it for the iPad, but it‘s workable.

As of now… Apple has only added 3 different options for resolutions under Display Zoom (Large Text, Default and More Space).

And this is the same options under the iPad screen itself. By this factor, I don‘t think Apple see scailing an issue for external monitor support (especially if you have an Apple Studio Display to pair the iPad with).
The scaling on ultrawide is way to big. It looks like my 1440 is 1080. The actual resolution is being recognized by my iPad.

Last edited:
Reactions: secretk

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The scaling on ultrawide is way to big. It looks like my 1440 is 1080. The actual resolution is being recognized by my iPad.
Yeah, the scaling is big on my super ultrawide… but as I stated “it’s workable.” I’d rather have what we currently use than the pillarbox black bars previously used.

And what options do you have for your monitor (Larger Text, Default, More Space)? I upgraded my portable monitor from 1080p to 4k… I had Larger Text and Default with 1080p monitor. Now, I have the option to use More Space… but the scaling is too small.

Ultracyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2014
Zwijndrecht, Netherlands
Yeah, the scaling is big on my super ultrawide… but as I stated “it’s workable.” I’d rather have what we currently use than the pillarbox black bars previously used.

And what options do you have for your monitor (Larger Text, Default, More Space)? I upgraded my portable monitor from 1080p to 4k… I had Larger Text and Default with 1080p monitor. Now, I have the option to use More Space… but the scaling is too small.
I get no options on my external ultrawide. It is indeed workable, but I bought that monitor hoping to gain something over a 4K. Did that backfire….

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I get no options on my external ultrawide. It is indeed workable, but I bought that monitor hoping to gain something over a 4K. Did that backfire….
Yeah, that’s why I prefer my portable 4k monitor over the super ultrawide when using Stage Manager. Since there’s options under Display Zoom setting.

IMG_6370.png

DanKosmayer

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2024
I've switched up my workflow to include the iPad Pro with the Magic Keyboard, and honestly, it's been a game-changer for me. I've left the laptop at home, connected to my 32" monitor, and now, when I'm out on shoots, I use my iPad. It's got a massive 2 TB of storage, which is perfect for dumping all my shots into Lightroom while I'm on the move. I've had sessions where I'm transferring over 1 TB of images, and the iPad handles it like a champ. It's super handy for flicking through the photos, picking the keepers, and getting rid of the duds. Plus, the display is top-notch, making everything look fantastic.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I've switched up my workflow to include the iPad Pro with the Magic Keyboard, and honestly, it's been a game-changer for me. I've left the laptop at home, connected to my 32" monitor, and now, when I'm out on shoots, I use my iPad. It's got a massive 2 TB of storage, which is perfect for dumping all my shots into Lightroom while I'm on the move. I've had sessions where I'm transferring over 1 TB of images, and the iPad handles it like a champ. It's super handy for flicking through the photos, picking the keepers, and getting rid of the duds. Plus, the display is top-notch, making everything look fantastic.
I've been torn about whether to buy the iPad Pro M3, or just go with the MacBook Air, or even MacBook Pro. "Apples and oranges" I suppose (pun sort of intended).

Why am I indecisive? Well by the time I jack up the specs of the MacBook Air M3/MacBook Pro with 16GB or so of RAM and 1TB storage the rumored cost of the iPad Pro 13" M3 I stall out a little.

So I go back and forth thinking keep the M1 iPad Pro and and adding a MacBook M3 to the stable. I know usually such decisions are made based on functionality and professional use vs. the non-professional end user.

The morning of the iPad Pro 13" release will put an end to my quandary one way or another. Ha, this reminds me of the good old days when I had an kitted out //+ and the first Mac came out regarding my decision to go Mac! 😇

• Love
Reactions: bondr006

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2022
New portable set up that I am trying out, loving it so far. But have to get a case for the keyboard and a laptop bag made for 18" laptops if I stick with this.

Combo touch with MX Keys S and Anywhere MX2 mouse. All for less than a Magic keyboard.

Combo Touch keyboard sucks and I just couldnt get used to the cramped keys. Unless you have hands of a toddler, typing on any keyboard made for a 11" screen will never be pleasant. Plus the keys on that keyboard are a bit mushy for my liking, too shallow for key travel and didn't give enough feedback compared to the MX Keys S. The MX Keys S brought all the joy back and it's a better keyboard and typing experience than pretty much any built in laptop keyboardout there, even the Mac Airs.

I love the case portion of the Combo touch for the kickstand. I've tried to find cheaper iPad cases with built-in kickstands that are as compact and as elegant as the combo touch and there's pretty much nothing out there.

And if you want the comfort of typing on a full sized keyboard, no keyboard case will do. I've done a lot of research on wireless Bluetooth keyboards and I was willing to try any third-party brand. And from my research, the conclusion that I came to is that the MX keys S is pretty much the best wireless keyboard out there in terms of typing experience.

Just as quick to set this up as the magic keyboard of combo touch. 2 secs for the keyboard to connect once i turn it on. Mouse is instant.

End result, far better overall experience. It's not lapable and thats okay. I don't need it to be. Having lapable devices is overated and never comfortable.

Using this because I can't justify getting an ultrabook laptop just for web surfing and emails when the ipad does the job. Smaller screen but the aspect ratio makes up for it. Also the 600 nits is beneficial. I've looked and you can't find a single ultrabook today that can match the Pro 11 for 600nits. Also the aspect ratio on the ipad is killer for vertical space when doing this. Prefer 4:3 over 3:2, 16:10 and definitely 16:9. Can't find any laptops with 4:3 aspect ratio, and the only one in 3:2 is Surface (which I had for many years and sold and don't miss).

This seems to make a good secondary setup when at home when I don't need to run my 5 monitor PC setup. If Im just stopping by the house to reply to an email, I dont need 5 monitors on for it. And my other setup is in bed, cuz I have a monitor there for TV watching including a laptop there for PC use. So this iPad setup works for this use case perfectly. And easy and quick to pack up and set up.

View attachment 2356310

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-06 161512.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-06 161512.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Ludatyk and jazz1

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I've been torn about whether to buy the iPad Pro M3, or just go with the MacBook Air, or even MacBook Pro. "Apples and oranges" I suppose (pun sort of intended).

Why am I indecisive? Well by the time I jack up the specs of the MacBook Air M3/MacBook Pro with 16GB or so of RAM and 1TB storage the rumored cost of the iPad Pro 13" M3 I stall out a little.

So I go back and forth thinking keep the M1 iPad Pro and and adding a MacBook M3 to the stable. I know usually such decisions are made based on functionality and professional use vs. the non-professional end user.

The morning of the iPad Pro 13" release will put an end to my quandary one way or another. Ha, this reminds me of the good old days when I had an kitted out //+ and the first Mac came out regarding my decision to go Mac! 😇

One fundamental issue is tablet vs laptop - do you need or want a tablet form factor? I personally like having both and use them differently, though there is functional overlap.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009

I was like you and picked up a m1 iPad Pro and loved it at first but then the novelty wore off and i never used it as I felt the software too limiting depending on how you spec it and the accessories you choose your in MacBook Pro territory.

I've passed it onto the wife and got a m3 pro 14 inch and I love it and wish I did this 2 years ago.

the iPad can do a lot of things and is great but there its still just a bit awkward at it all still.

My 75 year old mum has just bought 10th gen iPad on sale at Costco for £355 which is £145 off so a bargain. she has a iMac and MacBook Air and I asked her why the iPad she said for her kindle and banking apps as it saves her logging into websites.

• Love
Reactions: bondr006 and jazz1

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
I was like you and picked up a m1 iPad Pro and loved it at first but then the novelty wore off and i never used it as I felt the software too limiting depending on how you spec it and the accessories you choose your in MacBook Pro territory.

got a m3 pro 14 inch and I love it and wish I did this 2 years ago.

I was on the iPad Pro laptop replacement train for a while, but I recently got a 16" M3 Pro MBP and it's the best device I've ever owned. The screen real estate is fantastic, and I can just run the software I want on it. I tend to play a lot of Classic WoW these days, and an iPad just isn't going to do that.

Once I got the laptop I truly wanted I totally forgot about the idea of trying to use an iPad for everything. My iPad Pro now just gets used in bed or on planes and I completely lost interest in the idea of using it for more.

BhaveshUK

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2012
I was on the iPad Pro laptop replacement train for a while, but I recently got a 16" M3 Pro MBP and it's the best device I've ever owned. The screen real estate is fantastic, and I can just run the software I want on it. I tend to play a lot of Classic WoW these days, and an iPad just isn't going to do that.

Once I got the laptop I truly wanted I totally forgot about the idea of trying to use an iPad for everything. My iPad Pro now just gets used in bed or on planes and I completely lost interest in the idea of using it for more.

This is the conclusion I've reached as well.

I'm thinking of simplifying my setup by selling my iMac and iPad Pro 12.9. Even with future iPadOS updates, limitations will remain until app developers like Microsoft and Google offer more comprehensive iPad versions of their core apps (Office and Workspace). Waiting for these improvements could take years, and there's no guarantee they'll fully address my needs as a full laptop replacement.

Therefore, I'm considering consolidating both devices into a single MacBook Air (15.3 inch). This would give me the functionality of both my iMac and iPad Pro in one device right now rather than having to wait. It will be very strange not owning an iPad anymore as I've had one since the iPad 2.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010

I'm thinking of simplifying my setup by selling my iMac and iPad Pro 12.9. Even with future iPadOS updates, limitations will remain until app developers like Microsoft and Google offer more comprehensive iPad versions of their core apps (Office and Workspace). Waiting for these improvements could take years, and there's no guarantee they'll fully address my needs as a full laptop replacement.

Therefore, I'm considering consolidating both devices into a single MacBook Air (15.3 inch). This would give me the functionality of both my iMac and iPad Pro in one device right now rather than having to wait. It will be very strange not owning an iPad anymore as I've had one since the iPad 2.
This is basically how I have evolved. I live on my M2 MBA + iPhone. I rarely use my iPad.....basically, just take it on vacation. My only exception to your approach is that I have the 13in MBA, rather than the 15in, to retain the portability and "couch-ability" that I would otherwise miss from the iPad. When necessary, I get more screen real estate from an inexpensive ($100) 24" 1080p monitor.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveJUAE

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012

Since I purchased my MBA M1, I put away my iPad Pro and never looked back.
So I say "Go for it", you probably won't regret it.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I have to admit I’m really torn between a new M3 12.9 or an 11”
The 12.9 is so nice and big, spacious. Reading the Economist/ WSJ/ Bloomberg/ Comics is brilliant!
And writing notes during a meeting is really nice as wel.
But it’s a bit bigger and sometimes even unwieldy. And some people get really jealous :) :-(
So a 11” might be a really nice update/addition. But then again, more devices, more choice. I have 7 same shirts, 4 same pants, 4 same thin cardigans, 3 same thick quarter zip sweaters etc. etc. Why burden yourself with two iPP’s?
I’m really looking forward to the new OLED ipad, but what size?!?

boultonn

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2017
London
The 12.9 is so nice and big, spacious. Reading the Economist/ WSJ/ Bloomberg/ Comics is brilliant!
But it’s a bit bigger and sometimes even unwieldy. And some people get really jealous :) :-(
So a 11” might be a really nice update/addition. But then again, more devices, more choice. I have 7 same shirts, 4 same pants, 4 same thin cardigans, 3 same thick quarter zip sweaters etc. etc. Why burden yourself with two iPP’s?
My plan is to pick up the 12.9 at launch, see how I get on with it for 10 days and if it's too big then return it for the 11".

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I love my 11" M1 iPad Pro and am also someone who really tried to make my iPad work as my '80% computer' (leaving games and my music DAW as requiring a PC & Mac) ... but I feel like the M1 was really the breaking point: the chasm between what the hardware could do and the extreme limitations of iPadOS was just too much to pretend anymore. The M1 iPad was basically almost same $ as M1 Air - and the Air was so much more useful.

I might grab a new iPad - but at this point the Mini is of more interest.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I have several iPPs and very happy to have them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.