Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnsmclean

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Hi
apologies if this has been discussed before.

I was thinking that my 70+ year old auntie would benefit from having access to internet, email, BBC iPlayer etc.

I don't think she would want the hassle of getting broadband in her house and would not need a laptop or desktop.

So a 3G iPad would be ideal for her (I think).

Could an iPad be able to survive on its "own" ? After the initial set up, would it be able to get by with irregular access to another computer ?

TIA

johnniewalker

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2006
Blackpool, England
I would have thought that after the initial setup it would be fine, although the amount of data being used could be an issue if it relies only on it's 3G connection.

It may work out cheaper to get a basic home broadband package by the time you factor in the cost of the 3G model and the charges for data.

FotoDirk

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2010
It can work, however there might be a moment where it needs a compleet reset. Like you might consider to completly re-install a desktop/laptop after some years of usage.

The 3G seems simpler. As only 1 device needed.
But how is the 3G coverage around the house?

Alternative is to take the Wifi variant and a wireless router and a fixed internet account. That will depend on the price setting of fixed internet versus a 3G account at the location.

macpluslaptop

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
go for it

She would probably love it. You might have a problem if she wanted to print out an e-mail or something she saw on the web, but that may be fixed in a later software fix. The upside of getting her on the net far outweighs the limitations. It would open up the world for her.

She might need an external keyboard, unless she hunts and pecks.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
If you give her an iPad, I suggest you back it up for her to a computer at your house. If it ever goes belly up, you can restore it. I suggest backing it up a few times a year. You might also want to create a separate iTunes account for her so she can get software. You need a valid iTunes login even to get free stuff. You will need to write it all down for her because every time she touches the app store she will have to log in, even for updates.

As for printing, it is possible but it sounds like she doesn't have a computer at all. If you pick up some sort of dsl or cable modem and a wifi router and printer for her, you can get something in the app store to support printing. If the ability to print is important to her, I recommend you check all this out first before you part with any money.

But yes, with proper support an iPad can make an adequate "only computer" for a senior as long as they don't expect to be able to do their taxes on the thing.

Myradon

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2005
Other considerations may be her eye sight and manual dexterity. I know some individuals who find touch devices more difficult because of arthritis and hand pains.

Perhaps you have one you can lend her for a few days to try?

ItsThatKush

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
West Palm Beach, FL
dont you need an actual computer with itunes to sync for software updates, add music, photos, etc?

i dont see how it could be used w/o a computer unless it was for the most basic of functions

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I also think that she would be just fine with iPad. As long as you can run the s/w updates for her every now and then, she should be set.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Hi
apologies if this has been discussed before.

I was thinking that my 70+ year old auntie would benefit from having access to internet, email, BBC iPlayer etc.

I don't think she would want the hassle of getting broadband in her house and would not need a laptop or desktop.

So a 3G iPad would be ideal for her (I think).

Could an iPad be able to survive on its "own" ? After the initial set up, would it be able to get by with irregular access to another computer ?

TIA

I think she is among the target audience. She doesn't want a computer, she just wants to use some basic Internet stuff without having to struggle with complex network setups or complex operating systems and applications -- that is EXACTLY what the "Safari Pad" was designed for.

Just be sure that there actually is a 3G coverage where she lives, otherwise you will have to go through the complex process of installing a wireless router at her house. (Which might be a better option anyway for her because of the better performance of the BBC player and other video streaming services.)

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
dont you need an actual computer with itunes to sync for software updates, add music, photos, etc?

i dont see how it could be used w/o a computer unless it was for the most basic of functions

None of those are in the list of things that she wants to do with the iPad. And you don't constantly need to update your software.

LaNex

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
Myradon said:
Other considerations may be her eye sight and manual dexterity. I know some individuals who find touch devices more difficult because of arthritis and hand pains.

Perhaps you have one you can lend her for a few days to try?

Eyesight is not problem with the iPad. The iPad has Zoom and VoiceOver accessibility features. I use these so I can vouch for them (I'm registered blind, very little remaining vision, fiancé has had a go with my iPad too, and he is totally blind).
Dexterity issues I'm afraid I can't comment on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.