Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rb24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
I tend to wear cargo trousers which have plenty room in the pockets to carry an iPad mini. Very very rarely use my iphone to place regular calls. Am wondering if an iPad mini could be an 100% phone replacement? There's no problem placing outgoing calls using eg Skype. My question is more around the sorts of secure-id-verification that various services use which seem to rely upon having a device with an operator-sim card in it which, because you have a contract, is ID-validated. Is there a way to get by in life without any kind of phone-device, to just use an iPad? When services (Paypal, a bank....) insist that you provide a phone number (for some kind of ID validation purposes) are there workarounds which mean you could do it all from an iPad?

Reactions: MiniApple

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
Interesting use cases an idea ?

Would an cellular iPad with an (e)SIM not solve the SMS/iMessage/ID validated problem?

• Also I don‘t know of any financial and other web services that don’t offer a second way of getting a confirmation code or the like. The more recent ones usually offer hardware (Ubikey etc.) or App (Microsoft Authenticator for example) based solutions in addition or a replacement to just Email and SMS ones.
  • a (paid) Skype phone number seems to be one of the solutions fincoming/outgoing calls from and to normal landlines and such.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I tend to wear cargo trousers which have plenty room in the pockets to carry an iPad mini. Very very rarely use my iphone to place regular calls. Am wondering if an iPad mini could be an 100% phone replacement? There's no problem placing outgoing calls using eg Skype. My question is more around the sorts of secure-id-verification that various services use which seem to rely upon having a device with an operator-sim card in it which, because you have a contract, is ID-validated. Is there a way to get by in life without any kind of phone-device, to just use an iPad? When services (Paypal, a bank....) insist that you provide a phone number (for some kind of ID validation purposes) are there workarounds which mean you could do it all from an iPad?
You might want to watch this video.

Reactions: MiniApple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.