Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Also don't be afraid of running it down. When my laptops got to 20% they really meant it, and soon after were shutting down. But last night at 20% I kept on using it for a couple more hours, and when I shut it down I think it may have been at 18% so I know I still had at least a couple more hours if not more. They way it reports battery life is less than accurate.

If all else fails though you might just have a defective one, swap it out for a new one.

DKatri

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
Birmingham, UK
Quick Internet education for ya:

:rolleyes: is an ICON which replaces EMOTICONS.

;-) is an EMOTICON.

LOL.. that's me laughing at you thinking you knew this correctly.

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic...

Actually they're both called emoticons.

Nomenclature nazi's. For when grammar is correct, but content is not.

As for battery life, you are expecting a little too much. The battery life is great. You say that at the end if the day you have 50% left, that's a good amount really. I spent pretty much all of yesterday playing on my iPad and got to 20% after about 7ish hours.
You are expecting an unrealistic amount of time out of the battery.

Swampthing

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 5, 2004

Actually you're wrong. One is an icon, or if you would prefer a better definition, a picture. Many folks even call them "smilies" as does this very forum. Take a look when you do a new posting at what they are called, they are not called emoticons.

The other one has been around since the beginning of the Internet when those of us who were around back then didn't HAVE graphics to make images. I will concede they are both attempts to recreate facial expressions/gestures but they are just as different from each other as a photograph is to a sketch.

But back to the topic...

So I've learned in other topics that the more I charge the lithium battery, the better it gets at holding charges unlike nickle cadium which develops a charge "memory." The whole point of this topic is that I wanted to make sure I was in the same boat having to charge my iPad every day or two. Sounds like everything is kosher...

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
I got 14 hours, eight minutes out of a wifi version. Should I take it back and say it's defective? No of course not. The best advice here was to calibrate the battery, adjust the brightness and remember you have 2 count em, 2 radios in the 3G version which drain power no matter what. If you live in an area where your cellular coverage is not too great, this will contribute to lower battery usage as the iPad has to boost power to maintain a 3G connection. It may even fall over into EDGE and then back to 3G. All of that switching costs battery power. In short, your iPad appears to be fine.

Andrmgic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Apple's tests were done with wifi enabled and screen brightness at 50%.

If you run it at full, it only makes sense that your battery will drain faster. I get more than 10 hours out of mine, because my brightness is all the way down.. in most places I use the device, it's more than bright enough on the lowest setting.

The display uses more power than anything else in that device. In addition, IPS panels use more power on average than TN panels (most computer monitors screens)

OGDaniel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
Arizona
My battery life does seem to be going down quite quick just for being in sleep mode. It is supposed to last 30 days in standby mode, but when I put mine down for awhile it seems to be Losing power too fast. When in use though, it sense just fine.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
The brightness impacts it greatly. I can't imagine running it on full brightness anywhere but in the car on a sunny day.

But it will get better if you turn the screen down. And put it to sleep when you aren't using it.

LadyHoneyBabe

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
Quick Internet education for ya:

:rolleyes: is an ICON which replaces EMOTICONS.

;-) is an EMOTICON.

LOL.. that's me laughing at you thinking you knew this correctly.

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic...

Actually you're wrong. One is an icon, or if you would prefer a better definition, a picture. Many folks even call them "smilies" as does this very forum. Take a look when you do a new posting at what they are called, they are not called emoticons.

The other one has been around since the beginning of the Internet when those of us who were around back then didn't HAVE graphics to make images. I will concede they are both attempts to recreate facial expressions/gestures but they are just as different from each other as a photograph is to a sketch.

But back to the topic...

So I've learned in other topics that the more I charge the lithium battery, the better it gets at holding charges unlike nickle cadium which develops a charge "memory." The whole point of this topic is that I wanted to make sure I was in the same boat having to charge my iPad every day or two. Sounds like everything is kosher...

Emoticon. Funny word. Could it be a combination of 2 words?

Emotion + icon = Emoticon

Hmmmm...just a thought.

However, Swampthing might be right.

Emoticon: An emoticon is a textual expression representing the face of a writer's mood or facial expression. For example, <3, ^_^, and :V They are often used to alert a responder to the tenor or temper of a statement, and can change and improve interpretation of plain text.

Icon: A small picture or image that represents an object, a folder, or a program. Clicking or double-clicking icons launches programs, opens windows, and executes commands.
icon.

In a graphical user interface, a small picture on the screen which represents something. Files and programs have icons, and open when the user clicks twice on the icon. There is an icon to show which program is currently running. Moving and copying files is done by dragging their icons to the desired location. A file is deleted by moving its icon to the picture of a trash can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.