Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Does anybody know of a good silicone (or similar) case that only covers the back? I want something with more "grip" than the naked iPad but not much else.

I'll probably be going with
http://goincase.com/products/detail/grip-protective-cover-cl56430
or
http://goincase.com/products/detail/protective-cover-cl56426

I'll go crazy and also get their Slip Sleeve :) Available at Apple stores and online.

Thank you :)
I paid $10.54 for my gel sleeve/case. Is that what you're talking about?
I saw some really cool cases here:
http://www.case-mate.com/Apple-iPad-Cases/Case-Mate-iPad-Gelli-Kaleidoscope-Cases.asp
But those were $39.99 :eek:

I don't like that they ripped off the Solo design by iSkin..

rtay

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010
I don't get the point of just a silicon case to cover the back. That's the best looking part of the iPad in my opinion. I personally like the apple case, it sucks it has to be slid in and fits snug, but I love the ways you can prop it up, fold over the cover, and how light it is. Definitely a worthwhile purchase for me.

shakenmartini

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2008
I'm kind of annoyed with the case makers. 10" Netbook cases are $10-25 and almost all of the iPad cases are $40. This is just for a crappy neoprene style case.

Anything I even half want is over $100.

The case I really want the padova, but seriously I am not paying $209 for a case for an electronic device (http://www.orbino.com/store/index.php?cPath=176). Even the Vaja is crazy expensive for what they are.

soch

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
portland
Wooden iPad Stand

I don't need a case but I really needed a stand so that I could dock my iPad to test my apps. I didn't find anything sturdy so I designed one myself. iPad Wooden Stand

_original

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I'm kind of annoyed with the case makers. 10" Netbook cases are $10-25 and almost all of the iPad cases are $40. This is just for a crappy neoprene style case.

Anything I even half want is over $100.

The case I really want the padova, but seriously I am not paying $209 for a case for an electronic device (http://www.orbino.com/store/index.php?cPath=176). Even the Vaja is crazy expensive for what they are.

Exactly, it's just overpricing but what can you do? They clearly are making tons of profit and the case industry makes billions a year thanks to Apple.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
I will be buying the OtterBox Defender. Hopefully it will be released before my 3G iPad ships.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I have that one right now. If you have pets, I don't recommend it. It attracts hair, dirt and dust like crazy. The grips on the back are very nice and comfortable.

Tested that on an iPad in the Apple store, well i will not recommend getting it, no grip on the back really and where you put your fingers on the bezel the silicone is flappy and does not stay on really. Overpriced as well.

Got the Slip Sleeve.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
The Apple case is way overpriced for the
inferior quality that it is.

However, with nothing else out there I
was forced to get at least something in
the interim.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I looked at those 2 covers last night at the Apple store and ended up getting the "official" Apple case (the last one in the store). Both of the Incase cases were just so very thick and looked like they would add far too much bulk to the device. I really like the case I got much better; it is very "grippy", so thin it is almost not there, and folds into a handy easel for typing or viewing, plus it has front protection when you need it, and weighs almost nothing. My iPad still fits easily into the netbook pocket or my Timbuk2 Freestyle bag with the case on. For now at least this is the one for me.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
The Apple case is way overpriced for the
inferior quality that it is.

However, with nothing else out there I
was forced to get at least something in
the interim.
I agree that it (like every other iPad accessory) is way overpriced, but I love how thin it is and the easel function. And the easel is shallow enough that it makes a good grip when holding the iPad in portrait mode.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
I'm not an apple fanboy (check my posts) but I love the case.. It's very well designed-- as I just posted in the "its too heavy" thread, the triangle configuration is perfect for holding the thing-- you can grab rather than pinch it, using bigger muscles in your arm, making it much more comfortable to hold for long periods.. Plus it will sit on the desk in either portrait or landscape, and closes to a very small form factor.

I too love the Apple case, perfect design:cool:
I also will be purchasing the Case-Mate Hybrid case to be released later this month

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.