Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Belladahll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2015
Hi I'm hoping someone can help me out. I purchased an unlocked iPad mini 2 of Amazon for my daughter because her wifi one broke . I currently have a tablet plan with sprint with a Samsung galaxy tab. I went to apple and got the sprint SIM card but sprint will not activate it because I did not purchase it from them. I have spoke with like 20 sprint associates and they are all extremely rude. Is there any way of getting around this? The imei number doesn't come up as a sprint number so is there a way to change it to a sprint number or a way to get my sim card activated without going through them? I pay for a plan and unfortunetley am stuck in a contract and no data has been used for like over 6 months so it so annoying that Im throwing away my money and they won't let me use the device I want to. Thanks

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
Have you tried using the activated SIM from the Galaxy Tab in the new iPad Mini (you may have to cut the SIM down to the size of mini Nano Sim)? Otherwise your only other option is probably to purchase a Sprint Mini 2 and sell the one you have if you want to use the Sprint data plan. Sprint and Verizon are very possessive of what can be activated on their network.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Is there no Sprint store near you???

At most a 3rd party Sprint store will sell you a nano SIM for $10. Most corporate stores would give it for free (actual price to retailer = $3)
There is no such thing as a "tablet SIM"... It is the EXACT same SIM they put in every iPhone that they sell, and they have dozens in stock.

You are making WAY more out of this then there is.
Just go buy a SIM... no need to talk to 20 Sprint reps, lol. You're doing it wrong. =P

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
Is there no Sprint store near you???

At most a 3rd party Sprint store will sell you a nano SIM for $10. Most corporate stores would give it for free (actual price to retailer = $3)
There is no such thing as a "tablet SIM"... It is the EXACT same SIM they put in every iPhone that they sell, and they have dozens in stock.

You are making WAY more out of this then there is.
Just go buy a SIM... no need to talk to 20 Sprint reps, lol. You're doing it wrong. =P

The OP is stating that they will not activate the iPad because the IMEI number is not that of a Sprint sold iPad. Since Sprint and Verizon tend not to activate any iPad that is not sold by them it has nothing to do with the SIM card they are trying to use.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
The OP is stating that they will not activate the iPad because the IMEI number is not that of a Sprint sold iPad. Since Sprint and Verizon tend not to activate any iPad that is not sold by them it has nothing to do with the SIM card they are trying to use.

Ah...
My misunderstanding!
I thought they meant that there was an issue with the SIM. My bad.
I guess it's a matter of "buyer beware" with regards to Amazon purchases.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Current generation iPad's can be used on any cellular network. My iPad Air has been used on Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, TMO, Red Pocket, Netontherun, etc. I just change out the SIM cards at will. Perhaps the iPad mini you purchased was an older generation model which, yes, I can see why you are having problems. As far as your experience with Sprint, there is no solution for dealing with rude staff members other than sending your iPad back to Amazon and buy a newer version iPad that will allow you to use your Sprint SIM card. If you are privy to Sprints' network coding, you could get it to work that way but I don't recommend going that route.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.