Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JLB-UK

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2009
UK
Could you share the article with us?
I have done a quick search and not found anyway to do this. Everything comes up as a No :(

phoobo

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
Heck, you can have 4G if you want

...with a jailbreak and MifI. (Thats why one should avoid buying the 3G iPad, imo -- that part will be obsolete in not too long.)

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
...with a jailbreak and MifI. (Thats why one should avoid buying the 3G iPad, imo -- that part will be obsolete in not too long.)
There are a lot of advantages to the 3G iPad over tethering to an iPhone.
1. Not everyone has an iPhone
2. tethering sucks the battery life of the iPhone. You will get longer 3G usage out of a 3G iPad then iPad wifi + iPhone combo.

Personally, I think a MiFi is the best way to go. All my gadgets can share one internet connection for one monthly fee.

dimebox

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2010
There are a lot of advantages to the 3G iPad over tethering to an iPhone.
1. Not everyone has an iPhone
2. tethering sucks the battery life of the iPhone. You will get longer 3G usage out of a 3G iPad then iPad wifi + iPhone combo.

Personally, I think a MiFi is the best way to go. All my gadgets can share one internet connection for one monthly fee.

If a person has an iPhone then there is no reason to buy the 3G iPad. Just jailbreak and use mifi. Also lots of non iPhone's can be setup to share it's cellular Internet connection with an iPad. So really the 3G iPad is a waste of money.

As for tethering I just keep my iPhone plugged into the wall. No battery problem.

C8XY

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2008
I've currently got my iPhone in the TomTom cradle in the car being charged with mywi running, iPad is using the data perfectly and I'm even getting a real time data usage on the iPhone.
Much better than an iPad 3G for my circumstances.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
The only real downside is that when tethering you can't use voice on your phone.

Unless its a restriction from running MiWi you should be able to use the phone at the same time. AT&T 3G allows concurrent data and voice usage, its not Verizon/CDMA :rolleyes:

ashVID

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
To each his own. Many of us use our phones a good deal, I rarely go more than 5 minutes without a call or text (between 8am and 8pm). As people begin to use a cell in lieu of business and home phones, this is more common. In my case a 3G iPad is an absolute necessity. For one, I want the GPS capability. Secondly, I want the freedom to use my phone AS A PHONE whenever I want.

Can I jump through hoops, hack my phone, have a back-up power source, etc. and get similar functionality? Sure but it's worth $130 for me to avoid the hassle. I suspect most the time I will be on wifi but 3G will fill the gaps when needed and the pay as you go makes it a no brainer, FOR ME.

ash =o)

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I tried the jailbreak myfi option and it didn't work out for me. Buggy and drained the battery on my phone. Glad I got the 3G iPad.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
The only real downside is that when tethering you can't use voice on your phone.

Not true--I've taken calls while on MyWi with no issues whatsoever.

To each his own. Many of us use our phones a good deal, I rarely go more than 5 minutes without a call or text (between 8am and 8pm). As people begin to use a cell in lieu of business and home phones, this is more common. In my case a 3G iPad is an absolute necessity. For one, I want the GPS capability. Secondly, I want the freedom to use my phone AS A PHONE whenever I want.

Can I jump through hoops, hack my phone, have a back-up power source, etc. and get similar functionality? Sure but it's worth $130 for me to avoid the hassle. I suspect most the time I will be on wifi but 3G will fill the gaps when needed and the pay as you go makes it a no brainer, FOR ME.

ash =o)

If you're a heavy phone user, then sure, 3G iPad may certainly make more sense but you contradict yourself. If you suspect you will be on wifi most of the time, excessive battery drain of your iPhone shouldn't be an issue as you should only periodically need it (your words). I only periodically use MyWi as I also don't often need it but used it for about 30 minutes the other day, downloaded 30-35 MB data, and saw my battery meter on my iPhone drop 3-4%.

Jump through hoops? After you jailbreak and install and configure MyWi (a few minutes time, considering Spirit jailbreak takes all of about a minute), it's as simple as launching the MyWi app--done.

Also, it's not $130 to avoid the hassle--assuming you use 3G data on your iPad every month for a year, it's $130 plus the $180-$360 it costs for the additional data plan. So avoiding that 'hassle' is actually $310-$490. But as you said, to each their own...

bursthead

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Just want to mention iPad can get stronger a signal due to the bezel.. When they made the 3G it solved all my connectivity issues on Att..

I wouldn't want to tether to my iPhone just for that reason. I have actually tethered my iPhone to iPad. Running mywi will I had my iPad in my backpack..

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Not true--I've taken calls while on MyWi with no issues whatsoever.

If you're a heavy phone user, then sure, 3G iPad may certainly make more sense but you contradict yourself. If you suspect you will be on wifi most of the time, excessive battery drain of your iPhone shouldn't be an issue as you should only periodically need it (your words). I only periodically use MyWi as I also don't often need it but used it for about 30 minutes the other day, downloaded 30-35 MB data, and saw my battery meter on my iPhone drop 3-4%.

Jump through hoops? After you jailbreak and install and configure MyWi (a few minutes time, considering Spirit jailbreak takes all of about a minute), it's as simple as launching the MyWi app--done.

Also, it's not $130 to avoid the hassle--assuming you use 3G data on your iPad every month for a year, it's $130 plus the $180-$360 it costs for the additional data plan. So avoiding that 'hassle' is actually $310-$490. But as you said, to each their own...

You've sold me!! I'm going to jailbrake! Thankyou!

Stardotboy

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Manchester, UK
The best option for you is very much a matter of preference.

If you are likely to need an internet connection very frequently when wifi is not available, then yes - a 3G iPad is a safe bet.

If like me you spend most of your time in range of wifi but will sometimes want to go online via 3G, jailbreak+miwi is an excellent option. There are disadvantages that would render this inconvenient for frequent long term use, but for the odd bit of browsing it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the 3G iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.