Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
hello,

I’ve noticed that my iPad on iOS 11 beta 2 is constantly uploading data even with all apps closed, iPad locked, iCloud off apart from notes app and safari and share analytics off.

It is ranging between 1.5gb - 3gb+ uploaded per day. I understand a beta has some bug reports and logs but surely this is excessive and possibly a bug causing the same data to keep re-uploading?

I have also noticed that often after sending feedback report it shows as sent and then later reappears in the outbox and uploading files. However I don’t think this is the cause as the uploading continues even when feedback app has nothing in the outbox. I have also noticed that feedback reports sent in previously days show a new date every day but when I mentioned this on the forum, others had noticed the same.

Thanks

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
Log files (besides those sent in Feedback) are being uploaded. This is normal beta behavior. You consented when you accepted the pre-release software agreement during profile installation or in Setup Assistant.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
I understand that but surprised by the amount of gigabytes. I’ve never run a beta before that uploads 35gb in 2 weeks.

I'm pretty sure that's highly abnormal amount of data.. something is definitely wrong somewhere.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Log files (besides those sent in Feedback) are being uploaded. This is normal beta behavior. You consented when you accepted the pre-release software agreement during profile installation or in Setup Assistant.
it's not really, is it? at best it comes with the territory but should be reported to apple as a bug (even if it's a meta-bug - a bug with the debugging/beta process) because it's not normal. regular reminder that the point of betas isn't just to expect bugs but to report them as such.

mattdeezy

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Could it be the iPad uploading photos that have been converted into the new image format?

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
I understand that but surprised by the amount of gigabytes. I’ve never run a beta before that uploads 35gb in 2 weeks.
Behavior at our house is pretty similar but double because of the number of devices. And log files can get big and add up. :)
[doublepost=1500553406][/doublepost]
it's not really, is it? at best it comes with the territory but should be reported to apple as a bug (even if it's a meta-bug - a bug with the debugging/beta process) because it's not normal. regular reminder that the point of betas isn't just to expect bugs but to report them as such.
It’s not normal for a production build but for a beta build, it is absolutely normal. It is even stated, like I said, in the license agreement that data will be sent to Apple for debugging purposes and is opt-in by default.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
It’s not normal for a production build but for a beta build, it is absolutely normal. It is even stated, like I said, in the license agreement that data will be sent to Apple for debugging purposes and is opt-in by default.
Wasn't saying it isn't normal to upload logs just that tens of gigs per week seems abnormal

Last edited:

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Behavior at our house is pretty similar but double because of the number of devices. And log files can get big and add up. :)
[doublepost=1500553406][/doublepost]

Well analytics is switched off in settings so I'm still surprised by the amount of data being uploaded.

archvile

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007

This reminded me of the South Park episode with the human Cent-iPad...

Could it be the iPad uploading photos that have been converted into the new image format?

Sigh...no, Apple is not magically converting your existing photos and videos to their new formats.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
This reminded me of the South Park episode with the human Cent-iPad...

Sigh...no, Apple is not magically converting your existing photos and videos to their new formats.
Hmmm... do you have Unlimited Updates turned on under Settings > Photos > Cellular Data?

Elizabeth Jane

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2018
hello,

I’ve noticed that my iPad on iOS 11 beta 2 is constantly uploading data even with all apps closed, iPad locked, iCloud off apart from notes app and safari and share analytics off.

It is ranging between 1.5gb - 3gb+ uploaded per day. I understand a beta has some bug reports and logs but surely this is excessive and possibly a bug causing the same data to keep re-uploading?

I have also noticed that often after sending feedback report it shows as sent and then later reappears in the outbox and uploading files. However I don’t think this is the cause as the uploading continues even when feedback app has nothing in the outbox. I have also noticed that feedback reports sent in previously days show a new date every day but when I mentioned this on the forum, others had noticed the same.

Thanks

I had the same problem. My iPad Mini 3 (cellular) was uploading 4.3GB of data a day with wifi while my iPad Air 2 was not. I suspected a malicious website, so closed all tabs in Safari. I tried deleting various apps I thought were suspicious. I tried preventing my iPad from uploading to iCloud or OneDrive in settings. I tried lots of other restrictions in settings, trying to isolate the cause through troubleshooting, but all to no avail. I asked my ISP if my new connection to the NBN high speed DSL internet could be the problem, but no, as I suspected myself, this was not the cause. I did a software update. I then tried doing a full reset in Settings, but without deleting all of my apps and data. Still no change. My iPad was still uploading constantly.

I finally stumbled on something! I had fairly recently installed a hidden app called Tweakbox, which was only visible in settings under the General tab. This app allows you to install other non-Apple-approved apps without a jailbreak, it says. I deleted the profile by selecting “Remove Profile” of this app under “Profiles” under the General tab in Settings. Then I activated wifi on my iPad (which I had switched off, or it would have used up all of my 100GB monthly data allowance just with this massive uploading) and looked to see if the uploading had recommenced and it had not.

So there was the solution. Hope it helps other people!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.