Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
Hopefully this isn’t the wrong place to post this question :)

I’m looking for pre-paid data plans for an iPad for use in the U.S. with the following conditions:
- a pre-paid plan that doesn’t have an expiration date (or an expiration data that is way into the future)

An analogy of what I’m looking for:
Some years back, I encountered pre-paid phone/data plans outside of the U.S. that had expiration dates far into the future and practically only required you to use the plan every once in a while to keep your credits active. For example, I’d purchase say 60 hours of talk time / data and it wouldn’t expire for 1 year and every time I use the plan, the expiration date would extend another 365 days from the point I last used it.

This kind of data plan would be really useful for my iPad Pro in which I rarely need to use a cell data signal, but once in a while need to when I’m travelling and have poor Wi-Fi connection. For example, when in a hotel checking my bank account or making a purchase, I don’t connect to the hotel’s wifi (or use a free VPN connection). But this isn’t the only situation. There are situations when a wi-fi signal isn’t available or using a VPN is not feasible.

I haven’t found such a plan yet. Mostly, I’ve found plans like these:
-$5 for 1GB expires in 1 day
-$x for 5GB expires in 30 days

Typically I don’t need a high volume data plan. More important is having no expiration date or one that is far into the future.

Thanks for any tips!

[P.S. In the past, I probably would have posted such questions on Apple Discussions, but for years now that forum has had such a terrible Discussion tool that one can no longer find meaningful posts and conversations there.]

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Just a thought, does you current phone plan include mobile hot spot, like Verizon or AT&T have. I used to have a iPad plan with AT&T but since I went 5G I dropped it. I can’t believe how fast on 5G hot spot is for those times I need the connection.

Reactions: msackey

msackey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
Just a thought, does you current phone plan include mobile hot spot, like Verizon or AT&T have. I used to have a iPad plan with AT&T but since I went 5G I dropped it. I can’t believe how fast on 5G hot spot is for those times I need the connection.

That’s true. I do have T-Mobile for phone and it does come with personal hotspot. It is a consideration. The only problem with that sometimes is my phone runs down the battery faster than I’d like when being used as a hotspot for the iPad. The iPad has much better battery tolerance given how big the battery is.

I agree that 5g is incredibly fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.