Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MUBiomed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
I was using my iPad normally the other day and synced it to my mac (iMac in sig). Today there were a few updates for apps that I use, so I decide to re-sync the iPad even though I have hardly used it since the sync the night before. I plug in the dock connector to the bottom (same cable/USB port as the night before) and nothing happens. I tried my iPhone and iPod on the cable and everything shows up in iTunes fine. As soon as I try the iPad....nothing. Of course I have done a soft and hard restart with no luck. Seems weird that the dock connector magically went bad while sitting on my desk overnight. Any ideas?

MUBiomed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Connector on dock loose? iPad in a case and not fully connected?

No, the iPad is not in a case and I have tested it on the dock as well as directly plugging the cable into the bottom of the iPad. I obviously cant charge it or attempt a restore (although I don't believe this is a software issue). Not really sure what to do.....especially since the nearest Apple is about 3 hours away lol.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
No, the iPad is not in a case and I have tested it on the dock as well as directly plugging the cable into the bottom of the iPad. I obviously cant charge it or attempt a restore (although I don't believe this is a software issue). Not really sure what to do.....especially since the nearest Apple is about 3 hours away lol.

If you call Apple they can arrange a collection and a delivery of a new device, providing of course they don't fix the issue over the phone.

Is there any notice of the device being connected to the computer? I.E. does the computer make a sound when you plug in the iPad?

Does the iPad charge?

Does the iPad recognise it is plugged into the computer in any way?

MUBiomed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
If you call Apple they can arrange a collection and a delivery of a new device, providing of course they don't fix the issue over the phone.

Is there any notice of the device being connected to the computer? I.E. does the computer make a sound when you plug in the iPad?

Does the iPad charge?

Does the iPad recognise it is plugged into the computer in any way?

No there is no notice or sound of the computer recognizing the iPad.

It does not charge.

I even went to a wall outlet with the adaptor and plugged a USB cable into the back of the 10V charger and plugged it directly into iPad....nothing. No sound/no change of battery icon/etc...

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
No there is no notice or sound of the computer recognizing the iPad.

It does not charge.

I even went to a wall outlet with the adaptor and plugged a USB cable into the back of the 10V charger and plugged it directly into iPad....nothing. No sound/no change of battery icon/etc...

Definitely broken then. I'm not sure where you are, but you can find your local Apple Support number on the Apple website. I'm sure they'll replace it.

Btw I got a yellowed iMac in December, they sent me 4 replacements by post until I got one I accepted. So I doubt you'll have to drive for 3 hours!

MUBiomed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Definitely broken then. I'm not sure where you are, but you can find your local Apple Support number on the Apple website. I'm sure they'll replace it.

Btw I got a yellowed iMac in December, they sent me 4 replacements by post until I got one I accepted. So I doubt you'll have to drive for 3 hours!

The iMac in my sig is the 3rd one they had to send me. I got some free accessories as compensation since they wouldn't give me a partial refund (I ordered the thing last December and didn't get one that worked properly till the end of Feb.). I am sure that I have a note on my account as an OCD complainer though...here we go again.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
The iMac in my sig is the 3rd one they had to send me. I got some free accessories as compensation since they wouldn't give me a partial refund (I ordered the thing last December and didn't get one that worked properly till the end of Feb.). I am sure that I have a note on my account as an OCD complainer though...here we go again.

At least a broken dock connector isn't a minor issue. (Actually that could be a bad thing, depends how you read it :p)

Sailorandersen

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2010
Same thing happened to me...

Bought iPad in Brussels, Belgium in September and exactly the same thing happened last week: no charge, no sync, no reaction. Restart, reset did nothing.
Took it to the shop and they took it in for repair/replacement with a ten-day diagnosis.

Is this a systemic issue? Anyone else?

espen-d

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2011
Bad connector

Hi, I just experienced the same. Just overnight the connector stopped working. Luckily the iPad is charging even if it says "Not charging".

There is absolutely no reaction when i connect it to any computer.
I have checked the cable with my iPhone.

Any ideas other than replacing the unit?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.